TOPIC - Identifying your vehicle

have questions, suggestions, gripes for the site administrator? This is the place for those.

Moderators: rickf, raymond, Mr. Recovery

m3a1
Lt. General
Lt. General

TOPIC - Identifying your vehicle

Unread post by m3a1 » August 29th, 2016, 1:01 pm

Is there, or will there ever be a central topic related solely to helping users identify their vehicles? Apologies in advance if there is one, because I must have missed it.

The site is great, the users are great and the responses from the more learned members are to the point. That said, responsible users first try to find their own answers using the search parameters, yet I find no single topic for where to look for identifying numbers, what is a an identifying number (and what is not), what those numbers mean and how they generally correlate to one another. Having such a topic would save the learned members from having to answer the same questions over and over and may very well help members avoid investing in something they might never be able to legally call their own.

Thoughts?

m3a1
Lt. General
Lt. General

Re: TOPIC - Identifying your vehicle

Unread post by m3a1 » August 29th, 2016, 1:02 pm

I forgot to add that this would be most useful as a Board Index Topic since identifying these old trucks is where most of us start our projects.

Fil Bonica
Brigadier General
Brigadier General

Unread post by Fil Bonica » August 29th, 2016, 5:09 pm

Your concerns are a major challenge.
Statute of limitations , vehicle history, people not wanting expose themselve ,etc.
All these lead to a very foggy path.
There is some info all over the place but very little published.
Ken , the Muttguru is probably the most knowledgeble and has the best records.
After that its catch as catch can.
Hope this post doesnnt open Pandoras box once again
Happy Searching
Fil Bonica a very
K1ABW

rickf
General
General

Unread post by rickf » August 29th, 2016, 7:49 pm

Let me put it this way, when the military demilled the M-151 they destroyed the records along with it. There is no official numbering system other than the data plates and they can be removed and reattached to another vehicle. The M-151 never had a serial number from the factory. Nobody seems to know why but they did not. They had sequential body build numbers but those numbers were reused after a certain number were built or a new contract was written or someone just said start over. Nobody knows but the "Budd" numbers are not dependable.

Between all of that is the fact that the M-151 was NEVER supposed to be in private hands. And at any time the government could legally confiscate any and all that they find since they are on the road illegally. Will that ever happen, Not likely since there would be lawyers involved and manpower involved and they really don't care. BUT, You just never know. That is why a lot of people just do not want to talk about it and feel it is best to let a sleeping dog lie.
1964 M151A1
1984 M1008
1967 M416
04/1952 M100
12/1952 M100- Departed
AN/TSQ-114A Trailblazer- Gone

m3a1
Lt. General
Lt. General

Unread post by m3a1 » August 29th, 2016, 9:45 pm

Ok, that makes sense to me when you put it that way.