Free Air filter element

Got something you don't need? Sell it here

Moderators: rickf, raymond, Mr. Recovery

cstaup
2nd Lieutenant
2nd Lieutenant

Free Air filter element

Unread post by cstaup » February 26th, 2008, 8:11 am

I modified my air filter to use a K & N filter and dont need the lower nor the upper filterportions (includes screens). Any takers pay estimated shipping UPS from zip 45459.

Chris

raymond
Major General
Major General

Unread post by raymond » February 26th, 2008, 9:00 am

I did that modification. What did you think of the results :?: I tried the Bosch platinum plus 4 spark plug mod and it didn't make any difference, in fact the center electrode burned out of the plug in just a couple hundred miles. I followed the directions to the letter including chucking the plugs in a lathe and removing the threads from the bottom part of the plug.

Here's what they looked like after removal.

Edit: It looks like image cave isn't working right now. Look at the picture later.
Raymond

"On the day when crime puts on the apparel of innocence, through a curious reversal peculiar to our age, it is innocence that is called on to justify itself." Albert Camus

cstaup
2nd Lieutenant
2nd Lieutenant

Unread post by cstaup » February 26th, 2008, 9:13 am

raymond wrote:I did that modification. What did you think of the results :?: .
I don't know yet. The motor is in a zillion pieces in shelving.

BTW, I want to eliminate the points in the ditributor. I've done this with my old Porsches, is there a manufacturer that supports the A1?

raymond
Major General
Major General

Unread post by raymond » February 26th, 2008, 9:30 am

Raymond

"On the day when crime puts on the apparel of innocence, through a curious reversal peculiar to our age, it is innocence that is called on to justify itself." Albert Camus

Horst
Colonel
Colonel

Unread post by Horst » February 26th, 2008, 4:16 pm

Chris,

Concerning the change to electronic check also this one out: http://wiki.g503.com/index.php/Distributor

In my opinion it is not worth doing it however. I would assume with the number of miles we drive our 151s (except George from Holland), the points will last forever. The electronic modul can fail and then your are stranded.
My AMG 151 from 72 still had the point type. For reasons not important I also run now the electronic version but for above reasons I don't like it without a spare module (which I don't have). Again, an opinion.

Concerning the change to the K&N filter I would be hesitant to get rid of the internal parts of the air filter too quickly. I did the conversion. While I can say that the power gain was very noticable, the much increased air flow resulted in a too lean mixture. I decided therefore for the time being to switch back to the old oil bath set-up. The over lean mixture pronounced the flat spot some Zenith have even more. As we all know, some carbs have this more, some have it less pronounced. having a matching carb you might be happy but it could also turn out otherwise. So I would try it first and only if you are fully happy with the conversion get rid of the parts. I want to do more testing this summer, for example I bought the carburetor conversion from mil-plus in Italy (for an absurd high amount of money). I also would like to understand how I could change the mixture in power mode (low manifold pressure).

Concerning the spark plug conversion my experience is that it is a waste of money. I did the conversion and did not notice any change at all. As I heard all kinds of bad things concerning lifetime of the plugs and the spark plug adaptors I changed back to the original plugs. As long as there is plenty of 2245s available no reason to do it.
Horst

1972 USMC M151A2 w/ROPS (ex Barstow) and M416
1962 M201 and trailer
1966 GTO,1982 E350 Skoolie, 1987 SJ413, 1987 911
Gone: 2xM35A2c, Unimog 404S, Hanomag AL28, DKW Munga

cstaup
2nd Lieutenant
2nd Lieutenant

Unread post by cstaup » February 26th, 2008, 8:55 pm

I have been tuning motorcycles 2 and 4 stroke for years. If a lean mixture is a result of a K & N then does a zenith respond to a larger main jet?

Either way I really "had" to do this modification as my old oil bath filter was literally shot up (like to think from it doing it's job but..) really deer hunters in KY.

I had to cut out the inner bowl and straighten sand braize the holes back together.. There were 5ea good size holes in it and pretty well torn up. The filter looks good but like I said is missing all the innards. I had a good filter laying around, so I made it work. One wouldn't even know that there was a different element in there.

Chris

BTW I really want to maintain the origional MUTT, no CD/MP3 players or underbody neon...maybe a big chrome fart can.

raymond
Major General
Major General

Unread post by raymond » February 26th, 2008, 10:38 pm

If my engine is running lean from running the K and N filter, it does not show any of the classic signs on the spark plugs. Nor did it make flat spots in the carb worse, if anything, it made the power curve more smooth.
Raymond