Considering Selling Need Advice...

Got something you don't need? Sell it here

Moderators: rickf, raymond, Mr. Recovery

HILLBILLY-06
Sergeant Major of the "G"

Considering Selling Need Advice...

Unread post by HILLBILLY-06 » July 29th, 2014, 3:05 pm

Here is My M151 with a Mixture of A1/A2 Parts here and there. It appears to be an Uncut straight 1964 or so, M151.
The Data Plate say's 67 USMC Ford M151A1, so that's what I been using for stuff, it looks descent, drives good, has good brakes and lights, but one low beam is blown and flasher unit is out. It has 5 good tires on it and 3 spares that have worn tread. May need a clutch soon, but can still be driven. Has an almost new vinyl top, but no doors or side curtains. I removed the fording kit, still have it, but I didn't like it on there so I took it off. There is the usual rust issues some of us have seen plenty of times. But mostly it looks good.
I don't really want to sell it, but I feel as though I am in over my head just a bit. I haven't been able to work on it as much as I had hoped, and I don't want it to just sit here and not ever get much done to it. I really like it a lot, but I don't have a shop, I don't have any physical help to work on it at all, and lately haven't had the money either. So, I am thinking about selling it, not going to sell parts off of it, if it goes, it all goes together.
I don't know just yet what to ask for it, or really where I should start, I seen em sell for all kinds of prices in all sorts of shape. But I guess I need advice on that stuff, such as... "I can't haul it or ship it" I don't know for sure, but I believe most folks here on the forum are from waaay out of town, so it would maybe be hard to sell here. I will post a few pics, and I will accept any advice I can get on how to do this, but I have never thought this day would come, so I have not prepared for it very well. SO any Advice would be greatly appreciated, even Advice on Keeping the blooming thing, yes, you may be able to talk me into keeping it too... Lets just see how it goes... HILLBILLY-06 (Dave).
"FAMOUS LAST WORDS".... "HEY YA'LL, WATCH THIS"

HILLBILLY-06

Re: Considering Selling Need Advice...

Unread post by HILLBILLY-06 » July 29th, 2014, 3:09 pm

A few More Pics...

199th mp
Major
Major

Unread post by 199th mp » July 29th, 2014, 8:31 pm

i know how you feel. i recently had to sell mine, and i really miss it. it was a lot of fun, and i would have been happier if i could keep it. since you have computer know how, post it where others who might be interested can see it. the guy who bought mine had it shipped to south carolina from california, where i live. he was also a former MP, as i was, and my jeep was done as an MP jeep from my former brigade in vietnam. he saw my ad for it on a facebook forum for MP's. just a suggestion. best of luck to you. it's going to be a tough decision, we get attached to these things.

LTDan
Master Sergeant
Master Sergeant

I found mine on the internet...

Unread post by LTDan » July 29th, 2014, 8:51 pm

... so if I was you, I'd think about trying eBay. Listing it there has a pretty broad reach.

As to what price you should ask, I'm not the best guy t ask. You can search "completed sales" on eBay for one reference point. I did that for you at the link below, but I'm not sure whether you'll be able to access it. (Prices shown in green were the completed sales.)

http://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_nkw=M15 ... =1&_ipg=50

Regarding shipping it, there are reputable auto-transport guys. I had mine shipped from New Jersey to western Michigan for about $800 as I recall. The site I used was recommended by someone else here and it worked perfectly. In effect, they are a middleman connecting truckers with loads. It may sound complicated, but it couldn't have been easier. The truckers bid on your shipment. You can check their reputations and past performance via their feedback. The link below is to the "U Ship" site.

http://www.uship.com/?page=brandus&-_us ... ysShowCCTA

As my MP friend said, "Good luck."
LTDan
Commanding Officer
Company A
95th Supply & Service Battalion (Direct Support)
VII Corps Support Commmand
1970-73
Fürth, Germany

HILLBILLY-06

Unread post by HILLBILLY-06 » July 29th, 2014, 9:03 pm

Yes, I am attached... LOL, and it is a hard decision. I don't really want to sell it. Every time I crank it up the kids and the stupid dog pile in it and want to go for a quick ride. I don't mind that, because it's something they enjoy.
I just don't know how I will ever afford it right now, and as I said I don't even have a place to work on it, and no help from my friends either. Not many of them even know what a wrench is, nor do they even change their own oil, they just drive up to the big block building in town & pay somebody else to do it.
Mine is just kind of plain jane and all, no motif's painted on, no numbers across her hood, not even the bumperett's show labels from time now distant and far away, but she's all mine, it was just a good place to start, something to keep me busy and occupied. But WOW is there just so much to do to get there... I just know it is so very far away to where it needs to be and lately, I haven't been able to do anything at all to it. Soon fall leaves will come down and temps will begin to cool, and as last year went by , so will another.
I will miss it greatly if I sell it. I will really miss it a lot, and more important I think my nephews and the stupid dog will miss it too. This is a very hard decision, one I don't know how to get through, but I am trying.
I know somewhere out there is a guy who really wants it, and can afford the project, and has a shop to work on stuff, and friends who know what a wrench is and how to change their own oil, or a blown headlight or bad brake switch, and not have it towed all over town to get it done.

HILLBILLY-06

Re: I found mine on the internet...

Unread post by HILLBILLY-06 » July 29th, 2014, 9:20 pm

LTDan wrote:... so if I was you, I'd think about trying eBay. Listing it there has a pretty broad reach.

As to what price you should ask, I'm not the best guy t ask. You can search "completed sales" on eBay for one reference point. I did that for you at the link below, but I'm not sure whether you'll be able to access it. (Prices shown in green were the completed sales.)

http://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_nkw=M15 ... =1&_ipg=50

Regarding shipping it, there are reputable auto-transport guys. I had mine shipped from New Jersey to western Michigan for about $800 as I recall. The site I used was recommended by someone else here and it worked perfectly. In effect, they are a middleman connecting truckers with loads. It may sound complicated, but it couldn't have been easier. The truckers bid on your shipment. You can check their reputations and past performance via their feedback. The link below is to the "U Ship" site.

http://www.uship.com/?page=brandus&-_us ... ysShowCCTA

As my MP friend said, "Good luck."
Thanks, I looked at those from your link. Some nice looking vehicles there. Kind of helps me a little more on a price range maybe.
I had originally purchased mine off of craigslist here locally, plus we have a fairly good buy sell bulletin here as well. I saw your shipping link too, I am glad to see that info as well. Thank you for posting and helping out.

rickf
General
General

Unread post by rickf » July 30th, 2014, 6:58 am

Hillbilly, If it makes you feel any better I have no lettering on mine either. Ten years, never had any. As far as needing friends to work on it "Fugeta about em" You don't need them if you have a phone. I am always available. Well, after Labor day anyway. Looking at those pictures you have more than enough place to work, not as pretty as some of our spoiled members garages but hey, I am still working outside in my 60's. and paying for it.
1964 M151A1
1984 M1008
1967 M416
04/1952 M100
12/1952 M100- Departed
AN/TSQ-114A Trailblazer- Gone

HILLBILLY-06

Unread post by HILLBILLY-06 » July 30th, 2014, 8:01 am

Yeah I hear ya, I got room to work... LOL, 2.5 acres of it. I just wish I had a shop with a concrete floor and a hoist, maybe some tool cabinets. I have nearly been hurt a few times by a vehicle "diggin in" after using jacks and jack-stands before. I even had one berry a ramp and fall off on the other ramp while I was getting out of the vehicle. I don't use ramps anymore, and gave them to the scrap guy.
I could not pull my power pack here as far as I can tell. I don't have many "flat level spots" to place any kind of hoist. I had known a young kid years ago, who had a stronger larger lean-too than mine, & he built a hoist in the top of it. But he pulled it down on top of his project vehicle when pulling his engine and transmission. "I don't wanna do that" LOL. :shock:
One of my best friends dad still has a shop, but he done give up using it, and just stores stuff in it now. It has running water, a toilet and a beer fridge, but you couldn't get a vehicle in there if you tried. His dad has gotten too far up in the years to take on this kind of stuff, but man did he put out some awesome stuff in his younger days. I just came along too late to be able to use his place.

199th mp
Major
Major

Unread post by 199th mp » July 30th, 2014, 8:45 am

how about getting one of those pop up type tents you see at street fairs, and hanging tarps down the side. i have seen them in 10 X 10 versions, which would be wide enough for these jeeps, and once you tarp 3 sides of it, maybe put in a propane space heater, lay down a wood floor and use a cherry picker, it would be cheaper than a garage.
Last edited by 199th mp on July 30th, 2014, 9:52 am, edited 1 time in total.

rickf
General
General

Unread post by rickf » July 30th, 2014, 9:44 am

I have a piece of 3/4" exterior plywood that I have been using for many years outside in the weather and even laying on the wet ground for a month at a time. Between that and some extra 6x6 cribbing you can hold up anything securely in soft ground. Even without the plywood, just the cribbing. The plywood is for the engine hoist to roll on. I build my own ramps out of railroad ties and a chain saw, two side by side with plywood top and bottom. Very heavy but they will support many tons and will not roll or sink.
1964 M151A1
1984 M1008
1967 M416
04/1952 M100
12/1952 M100- Departed
AN/TSQ-114A Trailblazer- Gone

HILLBILLY-06

Unread post by HILLBILLY-06 » July 30th, 2014, 9:51 am

199th mp wrote:how about getting one of those pop up type tents you see at street fairs, and hanging traps down the side. i have seen them in 10 X 10 versions, which would be wide enough for these jeeps, and once you tarp 3 sides of it, maybe put in a propane space heater, lay down a wood floor and use a cherry picker, it would be cheaper than a garage.
LOL, now there's an idea worth a try... My cousin has one of those he might give me, I think its a harbor freight one that may be longer than that actually, the front seam is coming undone around the top opening, but duct tape can fix that.

RICK, you got another great idea too, the cribbing and plywood sounds good, and I wonder if marine grade would be needed or just good sturdy plywood in general. What is the cribbing used for? I haven't heard that term before I don't think...

malonecsm
Sergeant
Sergeant

Unread post by malonecsm » July 30th, 2014, 2:26 pm

Hillbilly-06
I have been looking for a 151 to rebuild, retired as a ordance CSM and these were the first vehicles private malone worked on at Ft Carson CO. I got the garage I got the time, and I work on a Army post still. Just ain't got a lot of money (LOL). But honestly would love to see what you might ask for it
Mark
Mark
Retired Ordnance CSM
1985-2011

HILLBILLY-06

Unread post by HILLBILLY-06 » July 30th, 2014, 6:51 pm

malonecsm wrote:Hillbilly-06
I have been looking for a 151 to rebuild, retired as a ordance CSM and these were the first vehicles private malone worked on at Ft Carson CO. I got the garage I got the time, and I work on a Army post still. Just ain't got a lot of money (LOL). But honestly would love to see what you might ask for it
Mark
Well, there in lies the dilemma I suppose... A good looking M151 with nice paint and hood numbers and such, and not sporting any obvious rust may, and I use may sparingly, sell for 6K or more.
Mine however, is not sporting new paint, nor hood numbers, and even though uncut as far and best as we can tell, still has some obvious rust on it here and there, lightly in the floor pans, battery box is a solid hard wire cage, and I upgraded the tail lights to the A2 type, which got me disciplined because I mounted them in my Marin Corp Corner Plates. It may need a clutch soon, one low beam light blown, flasher unit is removed cause it was bad, a couple small leaks around the differentials and tranny but all around not so bad, surely not near as bad as some I have seen pictures of in the past. But also not near as good as the totally ground up restored ones either.

Problem number one.... "getting it from my house to yours"... LOL. I still aint sure about all that shipping business, plus I live on a kind of skinny dead end road. There has been a few big rigs get down here, (folks moving and all that) but man they hated it...LOL
Problem number two... "I don't want to give it away" but I realize that it isn't one of those top shelf M151's yet, that we been seeing in the resto projects. I almost hate to "stick" a price on it, cause once I do, that can't be undone. There's no backing out on my end, so I must think real hard on "how much is the right how much", is it enough or too much. Some have said that you know, many things considered, there really isn't a too much if both parties are happy. but there is always the too little for what it was. I don't want to under price it, or over price it. "IF" it were someone local, they could just come on over and see it and crawl under it, drive it, the whole nine yards. That way everybody agree's on what is what so to speak. You have me in a bind here, but that is my fault not yours.
How much..... Dang, let me drink another beer and eat supper, let me think real hard. I guess I wasn't prepared yet for an out of town person to ask me that.

HILLBILLY-06

Unread post by HILLBILLY-06 » July 30th, 2014, 9:44 pm

I need time to take it all in, I don't want to jump right into setting a price just yet. As I said, once I have done that.... I just need to think that one through.

malonecsm
Sergeant
Sergeant

Unread post by malonecsm » July 31st, 2014, 9:25 am

No worries just shoot me a email and let me know were your at might just take a drive. my email is malonecsm@yahoo.com
Mark
Retired Ordnance CSM
1985-2011