Considering Selling Need Advice...

Got something you don't need? Sell it here

Moderators: rickf, raymond, Mr. Recovery

HILLBILLY-06
Sergeant Major of the "G"

Re: Considering Selling Need Advice...

Unread post by HILLBILLY-06 » July 31st, 2014, 9:36 am

malonecsm wrote:No worries just shoot me a email and let me know were your at might just take a drive. my email is malonecsm@yahoo.com
email sent, be glad to send any further info that I can....
"FAMOUS LAST WORDS".... "HEY YA'LL, WATCH THIS"

Fil Bonica
Brigadier General
Brigadier General

Unread post by Fil Bonica » July 31st, 2014, 2:12 pm

Get as much as you can and not a penny less!!!
Sorry to see you go.

Fil Bonica
K1ABW

HILLBILLY-06

Unread post by HILLBILLY-06 » July 31st, 2014, 3:05 pm

Fil Bonica wrote:Get as much as you can and not a penny less!!!
Sorry to see you go.

Fil Bonica
Yes, I agree, and I don't want to go and stay gone either. I got bit by the green bug, so I don't want to give up completely on the green machines. I been thinking about it a lot, and I still have not "stuck" a price on it. I don't know how so many people are just able to sell one after they had it for a long time, some of you guy's had em waaay longer than me, and just out of the blue one day, poof it's sold and gone for good. I find it very hard to do, a lot harder than I thought it would be.

I wanted good advice on what to do, and everyone has been very generous with the advice, but man this is a difficult decision. :(

rickf
General
General

Unread post by rickf » July 31st, 2014, 8:57 pm

I have not looked into it but I just got an e-mail from the MVPA stating that as Of yesterday the government has stopped ALL military vehicle sale and has also expanded to generators and non tactical equipment.I do not have to tell you what that is going to do to the price of our vehicles and also to the availability of getting another. I will let you know more when I find out. I am tired and going to bed, I will look into it tomorrow.

Rick
1964 M151A1
1984 M1008
1967 M416
04/1952 M100
12/1952 M100- Departed
AN/TSQ-114A Trailblazer- Gone

lpcoating
Brigadier General
Brigadier General

Unread post by lpcoating » July 31st, 2014, 9:52 pm

M151 Body Panels - http://www.m151bodypanels.com/

'68 A1 - Under full resto

HILLBILLY-06

Re: Considering Selling Need Advice... KEEPING IT

Unread post by HILLBILLY-06 » August 1st, 2014, 8:06 am

lpcoating wrote:This was sent out by the MVPA:

http://www.mvpa.org/2014/07/29/read-abo ... cle-sales/
WELL THAT DOES IT FOR ME.... "I'm KEEPING IT"
then if and when that happens I got mine already secured. "Thank's for posting that".... I'd say it was a wake up call !!!

Now that I got that out of the way, I will concentrate on "the project list" and how to divide and conquer it.

malonecsm
Sergeant
Sergeant

Unread post by malonecsm » August 1st, 2014, 12:44 pm

Congrats hillbilly totally understand, I will keep looking .
Mark
Retired Ordnance CSM
1985-2011

Austringer
Command Sergeant Major
Command Sergeant Major

Unread post by Austringer » August 1st, 2014, 11:55 pm

Not really sure how that's going to affect the price of m151s, m38s, etc as the .gov has not sold them for around 40 years and most all the parts have been released. The interesting thing will be to see what happens to the price of Humvee parts, current use cargo trucks etc that were being sold up to this point and of course military gen sets etc. It would not affect m151 engines as how many have been released in the past decade. Jmho.

Jason
Atlanta, GA

1969 M706
1969 M106A2

rickf
General
General

Unread post by rickf » August 2nd, 2014, 7:04 am

It is definitely going to drive up the price on the big trucks. I just got a chance to read the article and I see it affects large diesels. The key thing here is what are they going to do about the ones people already own? This is not a DOT rule, it is a EPA rule so the DOT can easily say the trucks are in violation of the clean air act and refuse to register them. No amount of crying in the world is going to change that one. And there will be no going to a different state to get it registered since it is a federal ruling. A lot of disturbing implications here.
1964 M151A1
1984 M1008
1967 M416
04/1952 M100
12/1952 M100- Departed
AN/TSQ-114A Trailblazer- Gone

HILLBILLY-06

Unread post by HILLBILLY-06 » August 2nd, 2014, 8:35 am

rickf wrote:It is definitely going to drive up the price on the big trucks. I just got a chance to read the article and I see it affects large diesels. The key thing here is what are they going to do about the ones people already own? This is not a DOT rule, it is a EPA rule so the DOT can easily say the trucks are in violation of the clean air act and refuse to register them. No amount of crying in the world is going to change that one. And there will be no going to a different state to get it registered since it is a federal ruling. A lot of disturbing implications here.
My next field of interest was those big trucks. That's Why I decided to keep my M151 and I know it has nothing to do with the price of the M151, price consideration was the farthest from my mind. "I wanted one of those big trucks" have for years, but I don't want to sell my vehicle and then gamble on this stuff... "not me" I'm just gonna keep what I got and be happy with it.

retiredpara
Master Sergeant
Master Sergeant

Unread post by retiredpara » August 2nd, 2014, 10:00 am

The next administration could change this administrative rule that the EPA has announced. There was NO legislation that was passed by Congress mandating this. I guarantee there will be a LOT of pushback on this, not just from MVers, but from local fire departments like mine. We rely on surplus vehicles of all sorts, and there are thousands of small departments like ours all across the nation.We were informed two months ago that we could no longer get MVs from our state program that obtains them from DRMS. We currently run two M1008s that we have set up as brush trucks with tanks and pumps. We also have a M49A2 fueler that we converted to a water tanker with custom dump chute, added side racks that hold a extra soft sided water tank, etc. We just don't have the money for $800,000 Oshkosh units, nice as they are. Our neighboring department just gave us a 1982 engine that is super nice, so we are not above taking hand me downs!

As for the M151 that you have Hillbilly, I say enjoy it as is and work on it as you feel motivated. It is a nice representative example as it sits, and you can improve it as your time, money, and motivation all allow. You said the kids and the dogs like to jump in and ride, awesome! What better memories can you make than that? Reminds me of that Alan Jackson song about his daughters learning to drive in his old jeep...

As for covering it, there are many fabric options. Check out some of the RV type units that are sold. I once had the Carolina Carport people setup a steel carport for me. I see those advertised now for around $600.00. The last thing I built I did with almost free materials. I used scrounged, old, barn roof steel from an old barn that had come down. We cleaned it and painted it with galvanized trailer paint. I caulked the old holes with silicone once up on the roof. I used old phone poles and some trees that I had cut for the poles, and used old 2x4 and 2x6 for the rest of it that came out of another old building. I did use new wood for the purloins though. With a little patience you can scrounge enough old materials to build something that would suit your needs. Keep checking the free section on craigslist. Also, dont be afraid to stop in at a residence with a old garage/outbuilding that is starting to fall in, they may let you have it for free just to remove it.

If you change your mind and do sell later, try to obtain a title. If you have one I missed that. Having a title will add at least a grand to the selling price IMHO.

HILLBILLY-06

Unread post by HILLBILLY-06 » August 2nd, 2014, 10:49 am

LOL, one of my friends just hauled two metal buildings off for scrap. A very large old tree decided to fall right between them both and smashed the two interconnecting ends flat to the ground with most of his old car parts inside. I tried like heck to buy some of that metal, but he wanted to see how much scrap value he could get out of it, so he scrapped both of them and all materials therein. He made more money than I would have thought, but it was a darn shame to see all that metal go to scrap. A lot of it was bent, some was plum smashed up bad, but enough could have been used to build one nice building out of the two smashed ones.
There was lots of good support beams and good metal that just went to the scrap. But in the end, I guess I don't blame him, because with all that metal, and the old car parts that were ruined added to the pile, he made $900.00 and even that was a loss, because it was a lifetime collection of stuff that he gave up. Insurance covered the buildings, but not the old car parts. SO Sad too because he loved taking that old stuff to the car shows, parts that ranged from the 1950's to the 1970's and it was reduced to scrap.

carolinamv
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

Unread post by carolinamv » August 4th, 2014, 10:39 pm

Funny thing my '92 M925A2 5 ton has to pass the emissions requirement every year to keep tags on it. But they don't meet requirements according to the EPA.

I agree, it wont change anything for the older Military Vehicles like the MUTTs and such, it will just make your big trucks(ie. M35A2,M813,M923,etc.) you have now worth more, or cost more to buy one.
3/3 ACR HOWBAT

1954 Dodge M37
1988 M149A2

chigoonies
civilian

Unread post by chigoonies » August 5th, 2014, 6:38 pm

I would love to buy it if you have a price in mind ( cash in hand) just email me at victorygin138@gmail.com or text me at 614 nine eight four 63nine 7. Thanks so much!

HILLBILLY-06

Unread post by HILLBILLY-06 » August 6th, 2014, 11:12 am

carolinamv wrote:Funny thing my '92 M925A2 5 ton has to pass the emissions requirement every year to keep tags on it. But they don't meet requirements according to the EPA.

I agree, it wont change anything for the older Military Vehicles like the MUTTs and such, it will just make your big trucks(ie. M35A2,M813,M923,etc.) you have now worth more, or cost more to buy one.
I have been asking myself a question about that very thing, "emissions" ...
Can the vehicles that are in question be made to pass, if that is their big concern? AND if so, I can only imagine that it would be expensive, but it seems like a way to keep what everyone has, I feel as though it is (my personal opinion only) a really lame excuse to keep them out of our hands and put them into the crusher. If all that need to happen is meet requirements to be driven/tittle tagged, I think many people would be willing to do what id necessary to own the newer vehicles.
(My opinion again only) " it;s good enough for them" but not good enough for us, is also another poor excuse to run them all through the crusher. "I think this issue can be not only addressed, but solved over time if folks are willing to get involved on a respectful level of intelligence and be willing on both sides of the problem to make better things happen for everyone to benefit from it. (just my opinion)... LOL