Need a carburetor for a 2AO16 engine

Need something for your Mutt? Let us know!

Moderators: rickf, raymond, Mr. Recovery

rickf
General
General

Need a carburetor for a 2AO16 engine

Unread post by rickf » September 12th, 2016, 7:00 pm

As stated above, I need a carb for a small 24 volt generator. Same as the 1.5K gas powered generator. Would love to pick up at Gilbert.
1964 M151A1
1984 M1008
1967 M416
04/1952 M100
12/1952 M100- Departed
AN/TSQ-114A Trailblazer- Gone

Aswayze
Sergeant First Class
Sergeant First Class

Re: Need a carburetor for a 2AO16 engine

Unread post by Aswayze » September 16th, 2016, 1:43 pm

Some ghosts of East Wind's past knowledge for you rick:

You want an "old" carb even if you happen to get a real stinker since the older ones had brass floats and all the new ones had/have foam floats that expand and get stuck nearly immediately if presented with even the slightest amount of ethanol. Yes, the floats will interchange so even if all you get out of the old carb is a float that you can put into a new one later it is well worth it.

New engines have a wonderful electronic ignition on them but carbs that were useless.

Old engines have a decent carb but poor ignition system. A mix of the both would yield a fairly reliable system but keep extra fuel pump diaphragms around or set up to gravity feed.

I fought the good fight for a while on these till I ended up converting all the little stuff over to Diesels. NEVER pass up a smaller 2K Yanmar powered Genset. They are almost comedically reliable. I got some that were reside scrap and made two out of the pile of them

"lets bleed the fuel so it's ready to start up tomorrow"

Flush everything out, bleed the filter, bleed the pump, crack the line to the injector, bleed the injector turning the motor over by hand, and close the injector line on the last pass to make sure all the air is out...

Pop... pop pop pop pop pop whirr......

Dammit! I did not even have the kill lever on it yet!