Underbody kit

Need something for your Mutt? Let us know!

Moderators: rickf, raymond, Mr. Recovery

Francis Marion
2nd Lieutenant
2nd Lieutenant

Underbody kit

Unread post by Francis Marion » January 25th, 2017, 11:01 pm

It feels good to have money again. That means I can get back to work on my M151A1.

I will be cutting out this quilted cross member and need a suitable replacement. What's out there?

1968 M151A1
1967 M416

Vzike
Sergeant Major of the "G"
Sergeant Major of the "G"

Re: Underbody kit

Unread post by Vzike » January 26th, 2017, 9:33 am

I've reworked three of these and looked at several more. This front cross member is unique. It appears to have been already repaired twice or more.

In the second picture, at the place where the cross member upper edge meets the upper floor of the drivers side, you can clearly see the large holes of an under body repair kit cross member. Under it, you can see separate patches welded over that cross member repair.

In the first picture, at the point where the cross member meets the side panel, you can see two patch pieces on top the the repair panel.

The underbody repair kit instructions describe how to fix the cross member. It calls for the removal of various areas before attaching the kit. I just did this on the KSA A2 I'm restoring now. I believe it is going to be very difficult to remove all of these patches if you plan to reinstall an underbody repair kit.

Are you planning to use an underbody kit, or fabricate parts?

Fil Bonica
Brigadier General
Brigadier General

Unread post by Fil Bonica » January 26th, 2017, 12:23 pm

Look at ebay and there was a posting for the transmission repair part of the kit for $189.00.
If thats all of want it would b a good deal:

Fil Bonica
K1ABW

Francis Marion
2nd Lieutenant
2nd Lieutenant

Unread post by Francis Marion » January 30th, 2017, 10:36 am

I don't have the tools or experience to fabricate so I'm looking for an underbody kit.
1968 M151A1
1967 M416