WTB Front door mounting channel

Need something for your Mutt? Let us know!

Moderators: rickf, raymond, Mr. Recovery

Vzike
Sergeant Major of the "G"

WTB Front door mounting channel

Unread post by Vzike » May 7th, 2017, 11:26 am

I have two vehicles that need the channels that the front doors mount to. Does anyone have a lead on where they might be sourced?

muttguru
Colonel
Colonel

Re: WTB Front door mounting channel

Unread post by muttguru » May 7th, 2017, 1:48 pm

Vzike wrote:I have two vehicles that need the channels that the front doors mount to. Does anyone have a lead on where they might be sourced?
Vin.... look down a few "Wanted" posts to the one by "Dauntless". He's looking for the same channels as you. Both of you should 'phone Guy Loomis at Cameron Manufacturing and persuade him to do a few sets.

Either that or ask around to see if anyone has useable ones from a scrap tub or rotted/damaged windshield.
ken
Kind regards....
Ken

Always wanted - Details and pictures of M416 Trailer data plates & M151 data plates & body-tags for my research. Thanks!

Contact address - - muttguru@aol.com

Note for 2023..... Ken..."Less Stress - More Exercise!"

rickf
General
General

Unread post by rickf » May 7th, 2017, 2:00 pm

Ken, Guy says he can't make them although I think he just needs to see the ones that Fla. tactical made. I should still have one somewhere. What ever happened to that guy from Denmark that had body stuff? I know he had them but he was not anxious to send stuff over here. Maybe we could convince one of you to mail it for us.
1964 M151A1
1984 M1008
1967 M416
04/1952 M100
12/1952 M100- Departed
AN/TSQ-114A Trailblazer- Gone

dauntless225
Corporal
Corporal

Unread post by dauntless225 » May 7th, 2017, 2:00 pm

muttguru wrote:
Vzike wrote:I have two vehicles that need the channels that the front doors mount to. Does anyone have a lead on where they might be sourced?
Vin.... look down a few "Wanted" posts to the one by "Dauntless". He's looking for the same channels as you. Both of you should 'phone Guy Loomis at Cameron Manufacturing and persuade him to do a few sets.

Either that or ask around to see if anyone has useable ones from a scrap tub or rotted/damaged windshield.
ken
I contacted Guy at Cameron and he said they did not have the correct tooling at this time but had made some that the doors would not fit into to. He said it was very close but too tight. On the list but nothing he would have short term. Jerry

199th mp
Major
Major

Unread post by 199th mp » May 7th, 2017, 6:20 pm

my 66A1 was missing the lower half on the driver's side. i drew up what i needed, went down to the sheet metal fab shop, and they made it for me. very inexpensive, fit perfect, did the job just fine. if you are anywhere near a fab shop, maybe you could take a similar route?

Vzike

Unread post by Vzike » May 9th, 2017, 8:39 am

I've had a couple suggestions to use the windshield bead. Take a look at your mutts. The windshield bead it very different. It would not work on the door. I mean, it may hold the front of the door in place, but it is not correct for the door.

Surveyor
Terminal

Unread post by Surveyor » May 9th, 2017, 8:09 pm

http://www.steelsoldiers.com/showthread ... 1-Unibodys

Scrap halves might be useful ... depending on price or you may be able to talk him out of just some channeling. I got my 60 from him last year.
1960 M151 Run #1
"There is one nut on a M151 that is very difficult to remove....." - K8icu
"She ain't a Cadillac and she ain't a Rolls, But there ain't nothin' wrong with the radio" - Aaron Tippin

Eddie Holland
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

Unread post by Eddie Holland » May 11th, 2017, 2:30 pm

I may be wrong but when you say the piece on the windshield will not work its different....... Maybe you are thinking about the piece across the front of the windshield instead of the piece down the side of the windshield frame. The doors slide down the side of the windshield before they come down to the body channel. They should work. I have an old windshield I was planning on doing the same thing with.

Vzike

Unread post by Vzike » May 11th, 2017, 6:30 pm

Eddie Holland wrote:I may be wrong but when you say the piece on the windshield will not work its different....... Maybe you are thinking about the piece across the front of the windshield instead of the piece down the side of the windshield frame. The doors slide down the side of the windshield before they come down to the body channel. They should work. I have an old windshield I was planning on doing the same thing with.

You're right, Eddie. I had a brain fart on that!

muttguru
Colonel
Colonel

Unread post by muttguru » May 12th, 2017, 4:34 am

rickf wrote: What ever happened to that guy from Denmark that had body stuff? I know he had them but he was not anxious to send stuff over here.
Hi Rick....... the bad news is that the Danish fabricator BB Smedie is no longer in business. The good news is I made contact with Christian of the Danish MV group. He tells me that another company has started up....he has promised to let me have a copy of the catalog of parts.
Will let you all know when I get it.
Ken
Kind regards....
Ken

Always wanted - Details and pictures of M416 Trailer data plates & M151 data plates & body-tags for my research. Thanks!

Contact address - - muttguru@aol.com

Note for 2023..... Ken..."Less Stress - More Exercise!"

dauntless225
Corporal
Corporal

Unread post by dauntless225 » May 12th, 2017, 5:05 am

What was the purpose of removing these channels?. Seems there are a few 151's with these removed . A friend gave me a windshield frame ,so I now have the top door retainers Jerry

Vzike

Unread post by Vzike » May 12th, 2017, 12:09 pm

dauntless225 wrote:What was the purpose of removing these channels?. Seems there are a few 151's with these removed . A friend gave me a windshield frame ,so I now have the top door retainers Jerry

The channels were not removed from an M151. I'm restoring and building an Encore and a Titan. Neither have the channels. They made a cheaper version of the door vinyls and attached the leading edge with push the dot fasteners.

m3a1
Lt. General
Lt. General

Unread post by m3a1 » May 12th, 2017, 12:29 pm

Gents, some years ago I bought a set of door channels off of eBay, for my Alley Cat. These are so simple any reputable fab shop should be able to make these for you in a jiffy. Could be made by a stamping process, true, but It is also essentially a bead rolled into a strip of steel. Harbor Freight offers a pretty good Do-It-Yourself bead roller for very little money so you could attempt to make your own.. But if you have them fabricated locally, have them make a few extra sets while they're at it. Since presently no one offers them I'd say you'd be able to sell the extras to cover the expense of the ones you want to keep for yourself.

Vzike

Unread post by Vzike » May 12th, 2017, 12:48 pm

m3a1 wrote: These are so simple any reputable fab shop should be able to make these for you in a jiffy.
Take a close look at the channels. The open edge is not the edge of the metal strip. The open edge is bent back on itself, making it smooth, so it will not cut the fabric. I'm not sure you could easily duplicate that with HF tools.

A little careful metal fab will take care of the ends. I looked at mine, they are just flared out a bit and smoothed. Someone made these at one time from sectioned tubing, don't remember the details but I might have to look into it if nobody is going to do anything with them.

m3a1
Lt. General
Lt. General

Unread post by m3a1 » May 12th, 2017, 4:06 pm

As luck would have it, I just stumbled upon the very channels I was just talking about. The seller was Tactical Supply & Surplus, 490 Smith St. Brooksville, Fla 34601 (352)-799-0300. Good luck!