WTB driver's side floor under tank

Need something for your Mutt? Let us know!

Moderators: rickf, raymond, Mr. Recovery

ndcctrucks
Sergeant
Sergeant

WTB driver's side floor under tank

Unread post by ndcctrucks » August 21st, 2017, 11:03 pm

The floor on the driver's side of my M151A1 appears to have landed on a large boulder and then was pounded back (kind of....with a sledge hammer); it's not really salvageable.

Anyone with a cut-up body, I am willing to pay some cash and shipping to 92223 (residence) for a driver's side floor under the gas tank to the rear frame; not rotten or rusted-through, surface rust and holes no bigger than 1/2" OK, dents smaller than a baseball OK (damage parameters are negotiable).

OR:

Anyone know of repros being made of this area?

Ken
909-534-2628 call or text 0800-2000 hrs any day

thanks!
Keep 'em rolling!

Vzike
Sergeant Major of the "G"

Re: WTB driver's side floor under tank

Unread post by Vzike » August 22nd, 2017, 8:21 am

I've been very successful with cutting the bottom out of an old fuel tank, and replacing the floor with it. It requires a bunch of body work on the edges, but using a hammer and hand anvils, I was able to form on in that worked very well. I did the same for the tool box side. On that side, you have to cut the fuel tank bottom in half, and swap sides before forming in place, but once done, it looks correct from top and bottom.

Vin

rickf
General
General

Unread post by rickf » August 22nd, 2017, 8:36 am

It would not be too hard to make a repro if you have an English wheel and the knowledge of using it. The problem is that doing that way they are one off items. We need Guy from CMD to look into seeing about stamping these out. Stamping dies are expensive to make though so if he does make them the parts will probably not be as cheap as most of his other panels. I am just guessing on that but keep it in mind if he decides to make them. Cutting up good gas tanks is great till the tanks run out. I see a LOT of people out there that can't find a tank when they need it now.
1964 M151A1
1984 M1008
1967 M416
04/1952 M100
12/1952 M100- Departed
AN/TSQ-114A Trailblazer- Gone

Vzike

Unread post by Vzike » August 22nd, 2017, 8:55 am

I agree on all points, Rick. I used tanks that were pitted through. I was able to repair the areas easily, only the tank was split. Also, RR had tank bottoms and tops for a long time. Blake said it looks like someone came in and bought up the bottoms.

Hambone
Brigadier General
Brigadier General

Unread post by Hambone » August 22nd, 2017, 12:27 pm

Vzike wrote:I agree on all points, Rick. I used tanks that were pitted through. I was able to repair the areas easily, only the tank was split. Also, RR had tank bottoms and tops for a long time. Blake said it looks like someone came in and bought up the bottoms.
I believe it was Army Jeep Parts, now they want 3 times what they paid for them. :shock:

rickf
General
General

Unread post by rickf » August 22nd, 2017, 5:54 pm

Well, AJP bought out Saturn Surplus and quadrupled the prices on what little bit of stuff they are selling. The rest of it they are just sitting on and waiting for the price to go sky high because none are available and they will be the only ones with those parts. Saturn had tons of transmission parts that I never see anywhere else and AJP is not listing any of them.
1964 M151A1
1984 M1008
1967 M416
04/1952 M100
12/1952 M100- Departed
AN/TSQ-114A Trailblazer- Gone