spark plugs

Need something for your Mutt? Let us know!

Moderators: rickf, raymond, Mr. Recovery

Vzike
Sergeant Major of the "G"
Sergeant Major of the "G"

Re: spark plugs

Unread post by Vzike » May 18th, 2018, 12:00 pm

Interesting, Rick. I'll try that.

Hambone
Brigadier General
Brigadier General

Unread post by Hambone » May 18th, 2018, 1:10 pm

Back in the day, my dad used his cutting torch with a welding tip on it, he would crack the valve and run it around the intake.

tecknomage
Private First Class
Private First Class

Unread post by tecknomage » May 18th, 2018, 4:20 pm

Thanks many times folks.
Looks like a screw is missing from distributor cap. Hoses on front & rear are pretty cracked/ weathered.. Was supposed to get a box of parts today from the seller, but fed ex didn't keep promise. ( surprise) . & YES, it starts, ok, but DOES like the choke pulled out a little to run well. Or as well as she can @ the moment. SOMETHING is drawing current when switch is off. Have to disconnect batt cable when I leave her, need to gt her home, delivered here @ work ( easy access) but not running well enough for 15 mile trip. Have another MUTT that has been setting a long time. it IS an A2, came from a John Cook out west. Think the head is cracked on it. Sure wish I knew about you all then..Thanks again folks. Hopefully get 1 working outta both.

m3a1
Lt. General
Lt. General

Unread post by m3a1 » May 18th, 2018, 5:06 pm

Ok, NOW we're getting somewhere! Get those vacuum lines replaced and see if you can't find a match for those screws for the distributor cap and don't tighten those down gorilla tight.

While you're there, check that seal on the distributor housing. If it is bad, or missing, guess what! Yup, it can draw raw air in there! That's one of the reasons we don't spray flammables around there. It's essentially just a wide spot in the vacuum system and it needs to be sealed and hooked up to the rest of the vacuum system to work properly. If you find you need a seal, but don't have one, you can seal it temporarily with something else but remember, whatever you put on there that doesn't really belong, you're going to have to remove later!

Most of this is the usual housekeeping stuff you'd need to do with any old vehicle and it's part of getting to know your truck so don't get too hacked off about this.

Please get back to us. There may be more gremlins that need our attention!

Cheers,
Tj