spark plugs

Need something for your Mutt? Let us know!

Moderators: rickf, raymond, Mr. Recovery

rickf
General
General

Re: spark plugs

Unread post by rickf » April 25th, 2018, 10:33 am

I would not say you got ripped off, if the drains are in the floor and not on the outer side panel then you have an A1 and someone just put A2 fenders on it. Looks good to me but if you want it all original we have a member here who is making the A1 fenders so you could convert it back. At least now you know it was not two different halves welded together. I din't see any pictures yet that I can tell if it is a reweld or not, It doesn't look like it.
1964 M151A1
1984 M1008
1967 M416
04/1952 M100
12/1952 M100- Departed
AN/TSQ-114A Trailblazer- Gone

Surveyor
Terminal

Unread post by Surveyor » April 25th, 2018, 4:37 pm

Looks like earlier style motor mounts as well... it's a mix of parts. So your M.U.T.T. is a mutt and unless you were really after one with the a2 suspension it still looks good to me. Plus your 8 posts into the site and no one has mentioned your jerry can. Win-Win! :mrgreen:
1960 M151 Run #1
"There is one nut on a M151 that is very difficult to remove....." - K8icu
"She ain't a Cadillac and she ain't a Rolls, But there ain't nothin' wrong with the radio" - Aaron Tippin

acudanut

Unread post by acudanut » April 25th, 2018, 4:54 pm

rickf
General
General

Unread post by rickf » April 25th, 2018, 5:31 pm

85.00 for a set of plugs!!! Yea there are a LOT of A2 parts on it but I think the base unit is A1. Unfortunately I am starting to see some things that are not real well done. The underbody repair kit was installed over the original rusted rails and considering the replacements are wider than the originals I am wondering if this is not a second set of replacements? I see bolts through the lower edge of the body side which means there is something bolted under there that does not belong there. The ROPS, pedals and steering wheel are A2 items as are the tail lights. They made a retrofit kit to put the A2 lights on the A1's while still in service. The rear lifting shackles are also A2. You are going to have to go over this with a fine tooth comb to see what is good and what needs work.
1964 M151A1
1984 M1008
1967 M416
04/1952 M100
12/1952 M100- Departed
AN/TSQ-114A Trailblazer- Gone

tecknomage
Private First Class
Private First Class

Unread post by tecknomage » April 25th, 2018, 7:24 pm

joy..
have a few new ones

https://postimg.cc/gallery/1x9lswybi/

tecknomage
Private First Class
Private First Class

Unread post by tecknomage » April 25th, 2018, 7:26 pm

Hambone
Brigadier General
Brigadier General

Unread post by Hambone » April 25th, 2018, 7:44 pm

I think the jeep looks good, there are many mixed up mutts out there, as Rick mentioned earlier, check the main frame for a reweld. That fiberglass undercoating could be hiding some evidence, inspect it well underneath and inside on the flooring, if it's a reweld you should be able to spot something. If it is uncut, then great, if it's a good reweld then you're still good to go, did the previous owner mention if it was cut or uncut?? It has definitly had some body work, maybe some Bondo, hopefully you didn't pay too much.

tecknomage
Private First Class
Private First Class

Unread post by tecknomage » April 25th, 2018, 9:32 pm

SAID it was uncut.. & I paid too much...esp since its an A1... Pretty heart breaking to be honest.

Hambone
Brigadier General
Brigadier General

Unread post by Hambone » April 25th, 2018, 9:53 pm

tecknomage wrote:SAID it was uncut.. & I paid too much...esp since its an A1... Pretty heart breaking to be honest.
I would make sure I sent him a THANK YOU note. :twisted: I wouldn't say an A2 is more valuable than an A1, IMO the A1 has a better ride.

acudanut

Unread post by acudanut » April 25th, 2018, 10:11 pm

Looks like it might have a fiberglass patch on the floor. Is it all metal under there ?

D Pizzoferrato
Master Sergeant
Master Sergeant

Unread post by D Pizzoferrato » April 26th, 2018, 7:26 am

Image 0474 sure looks to show welds on the main frame rails. I didn't want to comment earlier on the underbody repair kit being put over the existing structure, but since we're talking about it now, yes, it looks like a cut/reweld
Visit our Website! www.odcloth.com for your Canvas needs

Visit our AM151A2 restoration page http://www.odcloth.com/mymutt/1979am151a2.html

Visit our PBR Restoration Site. http://www.pbr6927.com

m3a1
Lt. General
Lt. General

Unread post by m3a1 » April 26th, 2018, 1:34 pm

I've several comments to make.

I'd say you are doing quite well. Buyers remorse is fleeting.

For some people, the only real measure of the value of their truck is in the enjoyment they get out of it. It's all in your perspective. People on this site know what perfection is and can lead you in that direction but achieving it is far different than just reading or writing about it. For some of us it means rolling up our sleeves, occasionally opening our wallets, and networking with everyone on this site. For others, it means writing a check.

If you wanted a MUTT that looks like it should be featured on Jay Leno's Garge I'm sure you would have found a way to get one and that would be that but the truth is, anyone can write a check. But to REALLY make a truck your own, you have to invest something of yourself in it.

But, if you wanted a MUTT that is a project, well, you have that and HEY, look around....there are resources and people on this site who will get you through whatever it is you're going through with your truck and that's the truth of it. Like the song says, "You don't always get what you want, but if you try sometimes you just might find, you get what you need."

Now, if you don't like what you've bought or you can't stomach the fact that you paid too much, wipe the slate clean, sell it and begin again -or- show that truck some lovin' and mainly, have some fun with it. Having some fun is where the value is in these vehicles.

I'd encourage you to take the time to look at some of the other restoration projects offered here on the 838. There are people who started off with far less than you. While my most recent posts on that old Willys haven't anything to do with MUTTs, I am posting about it because it illustrates just what I'm talking about at the moment and that is the love of getting in there and taking something everyone else has given up on and turning it around. It's the can-do attitude that all of us should have and if you don't know how-to you can acquire the skills. I'm nearly 60 years old and I am still learning!

Dollar-wise, I paid too much for that old Willys and I might have pressured my son into selecting a different truck but now, I can't imagine not having it in the driveway to work on so, it's been worth every penny. I'm not running a business. I'm playing with trucks!

Do not fear your project truck. It's waiting for someone who has the stones to ruck up and make it better, or even someone who will simply love it and enjoy it for what it is.

My two cents (and a nickel...and maybe a dime)

Cheers,
TJ

acudanut

Unread post by acudanut » April 26th, 2018, 3:40 pm

Well said. No one here has a perfect M151 here that I know of. And....They are very old. These jeeps were used and abused.

tecknomage
Private First Class
Private First Class

Unread post by tecknomage » May 4th, 2018, 4:16 pm

Thanks folks. Much app.
Main thing now is to figure out WHY she doesnt run well.. SUPPOSE to me a new engine ( lol) . She looses power quick under load. No valve rattle @ least.. voltage out of distributor.. think a plug is bad, she is missing . Dies once going up a hill, almost never got her started again. I ask for the wisdom of you all to give ideas on how to fix.
Many thanks
David

Vzike
Sergeant Major of the "G"
Sergeant Major of the "G"

Unread post by Vzike » May 4th, 2018, 4:48 pm

It's not getting enough fuel. Check the filters first. Especially that little one right next to the carb. Make sure you have good fuel. If that doesn't work... we can all give you a series of steps to fix what we have all had to go through!!