Electric Fuel Pump Connection

Need something for your Mutt? Let us know!

Moderators: rickf, raymond, Mr. Recovery

Surveyor
Terminal

Electric Fuel Pump Connection

Unread post by Surveyor » August 16th, 2018, 2:48 pm

Need to replace wire on recently purchased fuel pump. Is this a standard connection I can order from somewhere? If not, does anyone have an old one from a bad pump?

Edited to clarify.
Last edited by Surveyor on August 18th, 2018, 2:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.
1960 M151 Run #1
"There is one nut on a M151 that is very difficult to remove....." - K8icu
"She ain't a Cadillac and she ain't a Rolls, But there ain't nothin' wrong with the radio" - Aaron Tippin

rickf
General
General

Re: Electric Fuel Pump Connection

Unread post by rickf » August 16th, 2018, 4:59 pm

That connector looks like a standard Packard connector.
1964 M151A1
1984 M1008
1967 M416
04/1952 M100
12/1952 M100- Departed
AN/TSQ-114A Trailblazer- Gone

Fil Bonica
Brigadier General
Brigadier General

Unread post by Fil Bonica » August 16th, 2018, 8:20 pm

If it is the standard pin give me your address and I will send you some.

Fil Bonica
K1ABW

Surveyor
Terminal

Unread post by Surveyor » August 16th, 2018, 10:18 pm

Thanks for the offer Fil..... Rick , it makes sense that the end would be packard but when i compare it to other pics in profile such as the one armyjeepparts has and if i have it scaled right, the end connection piece is about 1-1/8in long. Is that a standard one? Seems long.

Edited to clarify.
Last edited by Surveyor on August 18th, 2018, 2:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.
1960 M151 Run #1
"She ain't a Cadillac and she ain't a Rolls, But there ain't nothin' wrong with the radio" - Aaron Tippin

D Pizzoferrato
Master Sergeant
Master Sergeant

Unread post by D Pizzoferrato » August 17th, 2018, 7:38 am

You need to revisit this viewtopic.php?f=2&t=9622 Seems like I've been here before. Find a female Packard connector from the back of an old gauge; it will be made to suit this application.
Visit our Website! www.odcloth.com for your Canvas needs

Visit our AM151A2 restoration page http://www.odcloth.com/mymutt/1979am151a2.html

Visit our PBR Restoration Site. http://www.pbr6927.com

Surveyor
Terminal

Unread post by Surveyor » August 17th, 2018, 9:56 am

Thanks D, I'll give it a look over. Edited to clarify.
Last edited by Surveyor on August 18th, 2018, 2:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.
1960 M151 Run #1

svramselaar
Major
Major

Unread post by svramselaar » August 17th, 2018, 10:45 am

hi

i go alwais to Eriks see below
he has different connectors

https://www.eriksmilitarysurplus.com/ve ... parts.html

george

Surveyor
Terminal

Unread post by Surveyor » August 17th, 2018, 6:21 pm

Edited to clarify.

C) Need long style packard connection which has threads to screw into A packard nut.

Last edited by Surveyor on August 18th, 2018, 2:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.
1960 M151 Run #1

D Pizzoferrato
Master Sergeant
Master Sergeant

Unread post by D Pizzoferrato » August 18th, 2018, 8:52 am

Your picture has changed. What happened to the round shield attached to the electrical pass through? The male electrical stud on the fuel pump wire should be threaded for a nut. After the stud passed through the sealing packing and into the female Packard connector, a fiber washer and then the nut go over the stud and pull it all together. You need to look at your original pump plate that your prior photos are from. The issue gets confusing when you borrow images from the internet that don't show what you are actually working on. I think I've figured out, through your prior posts, that the new fuel pump you pictured isn't yours. The latest pic you posted is the used pump that you recently acquired. You need to use your old plate (the one discussed in the prior linked thread). If your "new to you" used pump is missing the threaded stud on the end of the wire, I'm at a loss as to where you'd find that oddball piece. Do you know someone with a mini lathe like a design jeweler?

Visit our AM151A2 restoration page http://www.odcloth.com/mymutt/1979am151a2.html

Surveyor
Terminal

Unread post by Surveyor » August 18th, 2018, 2:12 pm

D, I put the original pics from the internet just to be clear on what I need. The round shield was not on the lid when I got it. Maybe such an early one did not have it or it was knocked off at some point. You are correct on the rest. I was able to steal the guts parts from a non-functioning horn (guts were toast). So back to the original request... just need the end of the electric pump wire threaded stud. Don't know anyone with a mini lath off the top of my head. May have to rig up another pass-through style connection.
1960 M151 Run #1

D Pizzoferrato
Master Sergeant
Master Sergeant

Unread post by D Pizzoferrato » August 18th, 2018, 6:20 pm

Look at this Buna-N grommet from Mcmaster Carr PN 9307K154 https://www.mcmaster.com/#9307k154/=1e7s7ak . Compare this to the space and geometry you have to work with. I'm thinking to enlarge the hole enough to fit one of these grommets. Silver solder the wire to a pan head machine screw to pass through the grommet from the inside. Use a flat washer and nut to secure the machine screw outside, hopefully being able to exert enough pressure to compress the grommet enough to make a seal. Now you'll have a threaded mounting point that you can try to push a female Packard boot over with another nut inside. The male, with a liberal dose of dielectric grease might just grip the stud enough to make contact. Alternately, you could make a short jumper wire with a marine grade ring terminal on one end and a female Packard on the other. Either way, it will be hidden under the seat.

Surveyor
Terminal

Unread post by Surveyor » August 19th, 2018, 11:28 pm

Thanks for the advice D. Did not want to drill the hole out in case sometime in the future I can go back "original" but I did mix some of what you were saying. Used #10 machine screw through the Packard horn parts and made a connection that way. New wire on the pump and soldered cap back on. Hopefully capacitor still works right. Probably put some sealant in a few places for piece of mind. Hope to test fire tomorrow evening.... If I blow myself up, 12bravo gets all the good parts left except for the fuel pump which Cuda can have back. :lol:
1960 M151 Run #1

rickf
General
General

Unread post by rickf » August 20th, 2018, 9:54 am

My advice would be to have close to a full tank of gas and have the cap on and don't try it for a couple hours after the cap was put on and tightened. This will pretty much guarantee that there is not enough oxygen in the tank so that if there is a short there will be no fire or explosion. If you have that big cap off there is all kinds of fresh air in there and you definitely do NOT want a spark in there at that time!
1964 M151A1
1984 M1008
1967 M416
04/1952 M100
12/1952 M100- Departed
AN/TSQ-114A Trailblazer- Gone

Surveyor
Terminal

Unread post by Surveyor » August 20th, 2018, 9:57 pm

Still here. One problem down and another appears. Moving to Tech Section. Thanks all.
1960 M151 Run #1