Beverly Hillbillies

This is a spot for posting those old photos of your service days, your favorite tractor, whatever...Don't be shy we all love looking at pictures! No Nekkid People though, this is a "G" rated site!

Moderators: rickf, moose53, Mr. Recovery, raymond

rickf
General
General

Re: Beverly Hillbillies

Post by rickf » November 2nd, 2020, 9:31 am

Or mount THAT on top of the light!
1964 M151A1
1984 M1008
1967 M416
04/1952 M100
12/1952 M100- Departed
AN/TSQ-114A Trailblazer- Gone

m3a1
Brigadier General
Brigadier General

Post by m3a1 » November 5th, 2020, 11:55 am

I mounted mine on my 'Helm of Irresponsibility'....
GettyImages-159392065.0.0.jpg

m3a1
Brigadier General
Brigadier General

Post by m3a1 » November 10th, 2020, 1:22 pm

Well, the insanity continues here at the Beverly Hillbillies...

I've been unusually concerned about current events...which is all I'm going to say about THAT!
IMG_3827.jpeg
An as-yet unfinished project or two (...or many) ...because THERE'S JUST ONLY ONE OF ME AROUND THIS PLACE, DOGGONE IT!

And lately, it seems I can't even get a color right.
IMG_3777.jpeg
A half track that just won't play nice (or at all, for that matter)...owing to the matter of some stuck valves (not from damage but from lack of use...) :roll:
61309064257__F5D26998-4E2C-4CE4-95D4-70E215FE2D91.jpeg
And the ever present matter of cleaning up the messes, some of which have to be sorted out in order to make some badly needed room around here. Some stuff can only be stacked just so high....
XdNFN1O.jpg
And an insane kitten that engages in parkour because, well.... Why run on one floor when there's are always at least two perfectly good walls for that purpose? (even the dogs are annoyed because she'll run on them, too....literally) which is the darndest thing you've ever seen. Apparently gravity does not apply to this tiny creature.
IMG_2969.jpeg
Cheers,
TJ

m3a1
Brigadier General
Brigadier General

Post by m3a1 » November 18th, 2020, 10:38 am

Had a little luck yesterday with the big reshuffle around here and it was proof of the old adage, A friend in need is a friend indeed.

A buddy of mine has been sorting out a GPW with a badly bent motor mount and doing it on a shoestring budget. Well, lucky him! Ol' TJ happened to have a slightly bent freebie frame from a CJ2A with lots of very nice pieces on it including some really stellar motor mounts which, while being slightly different than that of the WWII Jeep, are dimensionally the same. So he came up with his trailer and we loaded her up. Looks like he'll soon have that jeep back in business.

Meanwhile, I had about 40 gallons of concentrated evil laying about (which used to be diesel fuel) and we transferred it all into brand new Homer Buckets (with lids) from Home Depot and he took all of it with him. I'm pretty sure he'll use that stuff to burn stumps or some such thing.

Hey look, Ma! I made s'mores! S'more space that is! Huge relief to have that nasty fuel off my to-do list and I'm happy to have that frame out of here and see it go to some good purpose.

Cheers,
TJ

Hambone
Colonel
Colonel

Post by Hambone » November 18th, 2020, 1:05 pm

Fill that empty space with green iron, and then, ask for forgiveness. :lol:

m3a1
Brigadier General
Brigadier General

Post by m3a1 » November 18th, 2020, 9:51 pm

DEVIL! GET THEE BEHIND ME!

m3a1
Brigadier General
Brigadier General

Post by m3a1 » November 21st, 2020, 11:19 pm

Just got back from Johnson Space Center in Houston Texas. Amazing technology. Just simply amazing.

And we struggle with out MUTTs... wow.

rickf
General
General

Post by rickf » November 22nd, 2020, 8:09 am

And most of the stuff there is "old tech" now compared to what Space X is doing.
1964 M151A1
1984 M1008
1967 M416
04/1952 M100
12/1952 M100- Departed

m3a1
Brigadier General
Brigadier General

Post by m3a1 » November 29th, 2020, 3:25 pm

Well lads, it has been more than two weeks and by appearances, I may have taken the big reshuffle around here to it's inevitable conclusion....

Desiccant packets. ALL of this is because of desiccant packets. You know, those mysterious little packets you're not supposed to eat? Packets filled with even more mysterious beads that magically suck the moisture out of the air and keep it away from your precious stuff? Desiccant packets! Even the spelling is mysterious. Why two 'c's instead of two 's's? Nobody knows!

I am a notorious cheap skate and I am an extremely proficient Hunter-Gatherer and, having no evidence to the contrary I am also a serious pack rat. I will save a penny even if it will cost me a pound to do it. That means I never turn loose of a n y t h i n g. By way of example, yesterday I found an old HO train set in one of the farthest reaches of the garage; one that had a broken locomotive and a notably absent transformer. I vaguely recall I paid three bucks for it, not because I wanted the train, but because of the plastic box it came in. I also recall I was planning to toss the train and keep the box. But, because the train was, even in its present state of disrepair, almost a pleasant distraction it was kept and kept in the box. Yes, the very box that I bought for putting other stuff in. Couldn't use the box! Already filled with train stuff! :cry:

So naturally, after I re-discovered the train set, I had to buy another locomotive and transformer to make it useful again (which I did as cheaply as possible, complements of eBay). Ebay is a great place to get more stuff, by the way. I once bought a half track whilst killing time on eBay (no, REALLY...I did!) and look where it got me! Anyway, ten, fifteen or maybe even twenty years from now I might find the train set again and then, I may actually and happily play with it. Or, if I'm unhappily dead and gone, maybe it will serve to complicate the disposition of my estate for my heirs. But alive, or dead, I'm told that scale model railroading is worth the effort and I think that may be true, especially when it reveals other people's more sinister nature and thus makes otherwise sane people go nuts whilst fighting over Who Will Receive Dad's Old Train Set. I'm also a professional finless brown trout-stirrer and I like watching things go round and round (like scale model trains....or greedy people). It's really my thing.

Honestly, I'm not sure I'm any happier being a pack rat. Probably not. But, when at risk of being killed in a landslide of a lifetime of acquired stuff, probably so. I think the answer to that question really depends upon the quality of the stuff. By way of example, I suspect being killed in a landslide of Swedish Bikini Team Memorabilia and actually suffocated until stone cold dead by a small mountain of actual Swedish Bikini Team bikinis (meaning those with an actual provenance) really might not be so bad. It would certainly look great on a death certificate, I can tell you that! Better than a document that reads, "Cause of death - La Rona." NO. Now, try this one on for size - "Cause of death - suffocation by bikinis." YEAH! Now you really have something! 8) Make my funeral Open Casket, expertly laid out amongst my cause of death. Glorious!

In fact, I think this sort of thing would be a terrific way to go because such occurrences always make for legendary tales. These are the kind told and retold over the annual gathering at the Thanksgiving Dinner table year after year, generation to generation; always regaled whilst the tattered remains of the holiday meal are being cleared away and the the children gather 'round begging for someone to tell The Story and making The Story Teller the absolute schwerpunkt of attention whilst regaling whilst recounting the epic tale of Grandpa's demise. And maybe THIS is the year Grandpa's Swedish Bikini Team Collection will be handed down to the next lucky person at Christmas? Couple that with the building anticipation of soon-to-be-served warm pumpkin pie topped with whipped cream for dessert and you could cut the anticipation with a knife! That's the closest we get to being immortal, gentlemen - having an epic death.

Alas, having your stuff neatly stored in bins that are cleverly designed to stack well certainly reduces the probability of land slides and theoretically, makes your stuff easier to find but it does little or nothing for your reputation after you croak. What we do in life echos throughout eternity and big risks yield big rewards...but only if you stack your stuff high enough. NO ONE wants an epitaph that reads "He Was Organized"... :roll:

But, despite finding a lot of junk that really should never have been kept, I did find some, nay, a LOT of cool stuff whilst conducting this purge, like scads of parts (some, downright expensive) that I had forgotten I had and other more mundane stuff, including the kitchen sink....literally. No, REALLY, I found a kitchen sink...AND a NIB insinkerator. I was saving the insinkerator to make my own Oklahoma margarita machine but it finally occurred to me that I despise margaritas...even ones purportedly made in Oklahoma or in Okie fashion. I have had a few VERY strange personal experiences involving alcohol...and that's all I'm going to say about that. Far better to be rid of the insinkerator (and the sink) and preserve at least some of my dignity while I can.

Now comes the matter of donating the purged stuff to resale shops, which can be troublesome and counterproductive. Take it from me - It is far better to have someone else take your stuff and drop it off rather than running the risk coming home with more newer, 'mo bettah' stuff. And further, my tastes sometimes lean toward the, ahhhh, eclectic so having to explain my stuff to the people working behind the resale shops, such as having to convince some unwashed heathen why a Reverse-thread Metric Bearing Stretcher would be something that is easily resold. It just isn't really something I want to take time from my busy day to do. Better to have someone else deliver it and simply shrug their shoulders when asked about the Reverse-thread Metric Bearing Stretcher. IMHO, everybody needs one of those and if some person with no soul decides to toss my ultra rare and donated Reverse-thread Metric Bearing Stretcher in the dumpster, well, I just don't want to know about it. Stuff like that keeps me awake at night.

As for counter-productivity...well, who hasn't divested themself of some silly little thing only to find (not less than 72 hours later) that they wish they hadn't? That weird, sometimes unidentifiable item that gets binned and then suddenly you discover why you had held onto it. I don't care if it only cost a dime. Now I have to spend yet another dime to replace it...and that means lamely walking around the pumps as gas stations to find another dime. It's just not an efficient use of my time! I know what you're going to say. I could stand on a street corner with a cardboard sign begging for another dime but, because I cleaned the garage I have already burnt all the old cardboard boxes I had. I'm not going to waste one of my perfectly good cardboard boxes for a dime. I'm just not gonna do that. Better to keep the silly little thing on hand rather than go looking for charity.

Meanwhile, back at the ranch, Mud Dauber wasps, while they are rather harmless, are NOT our friends. I carried buckets of old nests out of my garage. I have enough to start a vaguely entertaining roadside museum. Remember back in the day when road trips where interrupted for gasoline (not 'fuel', but GASOLINE!) and for 25 cents a head, the kids would get to see deadly, wild animals in cages or snakes and tarantulas in aquariums kept behind the gas stations? That's certainly one way to keep the family from spending time discussing the rather questionable sanitation issues found only in gas station bathrooms. Yeah, like that 4-foot long loop of hand towel was really gonna be germ free. Some peawit had always taken a broken spark plug and scratched "I LOVE (insert your favorite tart's name here)" on the tiny mirror on the towel's housing and God only knows what sort bodily fluids had made their way onto that towel. But, I digress as we are not here to make potty jokes. Roadside attractions keeps 'em coming back, no matter how bad the bathrooms are.

So, after everybody climbs back in the station wagon and Dad tears out of there like maybe he robbed the place, instead of hearing how little Timmy blew his nose on the hand towel containing The Plague, instead you'd hear, "OOH, Mommy...they had a little black bear!" -or- "OOH, Daddy...they had a rattle snake!" -or- OOH, can we stop there on the way back? They had a collection of Mud Dauber nests!" My friends, they'll talk about those Mud Dauber nests for years...far longer than some stupid bears and snakes or spiders with fangs. If you doubt me, let me explain. Death by bears, venomous snakes and toothy spiders are really rather known quantities and thus, are
B O R I N G. You know exactly how it ends with one of those creatures. But show the kids Mud Dauber nests and that conjures the imagination. Walking through a roadside museum of Mud Dauber nests is rather like the away team from the Nostromo walking through an ancient space craft overrun with Alien eggs. It gets ya thinking.... A LOT.

How do ya find Mud Dauber nests? Well, you install some really awesome LED 'fluorescent' lighting (which comes on automatically and thus, attracts far fewer bugs). With that, I found that I could finally see some of the darker regions of the garage. Nightmarish stuff, really. Spider webs with small mountains of dead bugs beneath them and Mud Dauber nests galore. With the mud nests removed, the garage now looks like someone had a paintball battle in there using mud, rather than paint. So the lighting is better, but the place looks worse. Oh well. This is what happens when we upset the natural order of things.

So, in order to stack stuff higher, buy sturdy plastic bins and ziploc freezer bags which are the good kind. Buy them in bulk and when they are on sale. Use the money you save to buy more stuff. These are your best friends if you are stockpiling parts, or toenail clippings, belly-button lint, or whatever it is you collect that needs to be kept for posterity. Put the stuff and the desiccant bag in the ziploc bag and put the ziploc bags in the bins. Label the bins in some way or you will find the only thing you have achieved is adding an extra step to looking for your stuff...that being having to paw through a hundred bins that all look exactly the same.

Free desiccant bags are better than store bought desiccant bags....and not simply because they are 'free'...but rather, because they save you money! Saved money means....(you got it!)....MORE STUFF!

So, haunt the footwear section of Academy Stores. Pretend you are shopping for shoes. Gather up all the discarded (I call them "free range") desiccant packets off the floor that you can find. It is not kosher if you are actually going into the shoe boxes for them. Ask the first minion you see if you can have them but be sure to tell them you picked them up off the floor. Otherwise, that's called 'stealing'. I guarantee they'll roll their eyes and they will always say yes, just to be rid of you and your weirdness. But if you believe somehow your dignity is being called into question, fear not! Keep in mind that you actually did them a favor by helping them clean up the place. Fair Trade for Fair Value. One hand washes the other.

Yes, I know you can buy them on eBay and elsewhere but this is the stuff of high adventure. You're actually honing your skills and in doing so, vastly increasing your quality of life and chances for living the high life after the apocalypse and saving money in the process and if you have been paying attention (say it with me) Saved money means more stuff!!!

Hunter-Gatherer Badge awarded!

Think of it this way.. If you saved $12 hunting (and gathering) desiccant packets which is the average cost for them on eBay) $12 divided by 4 is...$3. A set of Mutt spark plugs are what? $25 a piece? Far too rich for my blood. Well, if you saved $12 by hunting and gathering, a set of Mutt spark plugs now actually costs you $22 a piece. Better than $25 a piece.

So, you'll need those little desiccant packets and bins and ziploc bags to properly store the stuff you will buy because you got stuff for free and didn't spend too much elsewhere so you were able to get more stuff that needed to be properly stored... Whew!

...and that logic, Dear Reader, is inevitable.

Cheers,
TJ
Last edited by m3a1 on November 29th, 2020, 7:12 pm, edited 3 times in total.

rickf
General
General

Post by rickf » November 29th, 2020, 4:37 pm

I am starting to worry about you! You need to go back to work!!! :lol: :lol: :lol:
1964 M151A1
1984 M1008
1967 M416
04/1952 M100
12/1952 M100- Departed