300 yards, full value wind at 12-18mph

This is a spot for posting those old photos of your service days, your favorite tractor, whatever...Don't be shy we all love looking at pictures! No Nekkid People though, this is a "G" rated site!

Moderators: rickf, raymond, Mr. Recovery

m3a1
Lt. General
Lt. General

300 yards, full value wind at 12-18mph

Unread post by m3a1 » January 29th, 2017, 6:02 pm

Here's my son taking down his Tannerite at 300 yards with full value wind at about 12mph from right to left. The target's size is 4" x 8" oriented vertically and placed on a 5' tall post. The rifle he is using, chambered in .308, belongs to my buddy (a very skilled shooter) who is coaching him in the video. My son's first shot, which is not in this video, struck 1" to the left of the target. This video is of the shot to the Tannerite and several follow up shots. The bullet takes a little less than .3 seconds to reach the target. Since light travels much faster than sound, the visual of the Tannerite going off (which is his first shot in this clip) can be seen well before the report is heard. I recorded this on my phone so unfortunately the concussion of the Tannerite wasn't captured very well. Two additional shots, also at 300yds, is on steel targets.

http://vid736.photobucket.com/albums/xx ... 0300yd.mp4

Here's why you should follow the warning labels on Tannerite...

rickf
General
General

Re: 300 yards, full value wind at 12-18mph

Unread post by rickf » January 31st, 2017, 6:10 pm

"Ram that bolt like ya got a pair" Love it. :lol: Not exactly what you would do in a covert or sniper operation but great. If it's long range shooting you like check out some of the videos by these two Aussies. Great video and all of the pertinent shooting info during and after the shot.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=64u0O-pCBaU
1964 M151A1
1984 M1008
1967 M416
04/1952 M100
12/1952 M100- Departed
AN/TSQ-114A Trailblazer- Gone

Surveyor
Terminal

Unread post by Surveyor » January 31st, 2017, 7:23 pm

If ya'll haven't yet, you may want to look for a mid-range prone or XTC match (service rifle) in your area. Good times!
1960 M151 Run #1
"There is one nut on a M151 that is very difficult to remove....." - K8icu
"She ain't a Cadillac and she ain't a Rolls, But there ain't nothin' wrong with the radio" - Aaron Tippin

rickf
General
General

Unread post by rickf » February 1st, 2017, 3:46 pm

I can remember being a youngster doing that same thing. Only I was using the stock sights on a Springfield 03A4. Oh, we didn't have Tannerite back then. Regulation paper targets by god! I just found some pics my dad had of me at about 7 yrs old standing on the 200 yard targets and then shooting that gun.
1964 M151A1
1984 M1008
1967 M416
04/1952 M100
12/1952 M100- Departed
AN/TSQ-114A Trailblazer- Gone

Bill, Idaho
Master Sergeant
Master Sergeant

Unread post by Bill, Idaho » February 2nd, 2017, 4:44 pm

Up until I retired in August I was the rangemaster for the last 4 years at a county range. The Sheriff's Office figured I was out there all the time anyway, so they deemed it so. Those tannerite targets are illegal on any BLM range (or land for that matter) up here, and I don't know how many people I have thrown off the range for bringing it there to shoot. A few years ago some 15 watt nitwits put a bunch of that stuff inside of an old TV and shot it. When the shrapnel came to rest, a lady had the door of her car pierced with a piece of the TV 's chassis. Had that piece hit a person it would have certainly cut them in half.
Anyway, as a retired SWAT sniper, one of the toughest things to do is fIgure wind when shooting. Do you know how much wind dope he put on the scope? A real simplified yet effective formula for figuring wind adjustment is the speed of the wind (12mph) times the distance in hundreds of yards (3) which equals 36, divided by a constant of 12 (for .30 cal, the constant changes to about 18 or 20 for .223 caliber) , which comes out to about 3 minutes of adjustment. Was I close?

m3a1
Lt. General
Lt. General

Unread post by m3a1 » February 4th, 2017, 11:49 am

Bill, I can't tell you exactly what he had dialed in but he uses that standard equation. This is my buddy's rifle and he is quite an accomplished shooter, has his own particular loads, all his brass is fire formed to his rifle, keeps a strict round count on his Howa barrel and he has spent a lot of time on this particular range. His dope is spot on and he can start at 100yds and take that rifle out to 1000yds without breaking a sweat but he's equally good at working out unknown distances with MilDot. No easy days in Oklahoma, though. There's almost always a stiff wind and on this range, at 400-600yds there is a confluence of wind directions owing to the terrain that can mess with even the most accomplished shooter's head which is why they were shooting at 300 yards. As you would probably agree, 300yds isn't all that far but it was much farther than the listed "safe" distance for that particular load of Tannerite so we were in very good shape.

I had a very good day the following day as and was making consistent 200yd hits, offhand with iron sights, with my 12 gauge using rifled slug at 1400+ FPS and sabot at 1600+ FPS in a helluva strong crosswind that was blowing ME around! Point of aim with sabot was roughly 18' to the right and about 10' above the target! That should give you some idea of the wind I was dealing with and frankly, I think that's pretty fair shooting. Train hard now and the shooting comes easy later on. Love my shotguns as much as I love my ARs. They're always a crowd-pleaser.

Anyway, we have a good, safe time when we're out there.

As for running the bolt home "like ya got a pair", my son had been baseball bat and balls-fingering the bolt and needed a little encouragement. :wink: