A good flea market find

This is a spot for posting those old photos of your service days, your favorite tractor, whatever...Don't be shy we all love looking at pictures! No Nekkid People though, this is a "G" rated site!

Moderators: rickf, raymond, Mr. Recovery

m3a1
Lt. General
Lt. General

A good flea market find

Unread post by m3a1 » May 12th, 2017, 12:16 pm

I've been collecting militaria for years. Last weekend this two gallon Stanley insulated container showed up at a flea market and I grabbed it for an excellent price. Despite its rather dog-eared appearance, it has all its major parts and works just fine. The only thing missing is the dust jacket designed to cover the spigot. No big deal. It even has the data plate on the bottom and could that order number indicated a mid 50's vintage? I think so!

In any case, I love the used and abused look of this thing. It can rattle around in the back of the MUTT with no dramas. Between this and my Mermite cans, I'm all set!

rickf
General
General

Re: A good flea market find

Unread post by rickf » May 12th, 2017, 6:25 pm

Did they have a glass liner like most in that time period or stainless?
1964 M151A1
1984 M1008
1967 M416
04/1952 M100
12/1952 M100- Departed
AN/TSQ-114A Trailblazer- Gone

m3a1
Lt. General
Lt. General

Re: A good flea market find

Unread post by m3a1 » May 12th, 2017, 7:34 pm

Nope. Stainless throughout and according to the websites, it uses their "Char-Vac" material for insulation. After WWII, the military got their food handling gear spec-ed out right.

I have several WWII insulated drums and the tins that nest inside (which are rare as hen's teeth) but they aren't so good. But after WWII, our stuff was darned good...and nearly as good as the German's which is really saying something. The German stuff is utterly amazing and built like (dare I say it?) a King Tiger tank. Absolutely beautiful stuff, completely along the lines of the type of product quality Guy produces.

I have a piece of German kit that outwardly looks almost exactly like a jerry can but without the spout - same dimensions, same paint...the works. The top hinges back to reveal an insulated container and several ladles for dishing out chow. It fits in the mount just like a fuel can and it's one of my favorite pieces. That item is definitely going with me during the zombie apocalypse, I can tell you that!

I'd put my Mermite can up against any of the big name stuff that's coming out now because despite the fact that the Mermite cans are O-L-D, they still work great. No way the plastic stuff they make now is gonna to be around after 60 years.