Planes, trains, and automobiles

Vehicles and items that do not fall into the general M151 categories

Moderators: rickf, raymond, Mr. Recovery

m3a1
Lt. General
Lt. General

Planes, trains, and automobiles

Unread post by m3a1 » June 30th, 2017, 4:06 pm

All of this in Southern California! Enjoy.

We were catting around SoCal in a sporty rental ragtop Mustang; a really miserable car to get in and out of. It's more like wearing it than riding in it but once you put it on....very cool!
I even bought a surfboard.

Kites over Huntington Beach, Cali

Lyon Air Museum. It's a small place with some absolutely stellar machines from bread trucks to bombers. http://www.lyonairmuseum.org/exhibits

Gelaendewagen - For when you want to be the weirdest kid on the block. This makes the MUTT look entirely civilized!

Early Harley Davidson

WC-6

Texan! Imagine stepping out of that Stearman and into one of these! Must have been like Christmas!

Cessna Bird Dog - Possibly the most dangerous man on the battlefield!

We like shark mouths!

Zundapp

Chrysler really had their act together. The quality of the coachwork is plain to see. Of course, these cost as much as a house back then so prospective buyers would expect nothing less!

Basic A-to-B transportation.

Which brings into sharp contrast the basic transportation provided by this buggy....the obligatory jeep.
With the obligatory gas gun...

And now, for something completely different! I would have to say I considered the execution of this particular design a half-bubble off plumb and yet, the Japanese are now producing some very fine motorcycles. From Humble beginnings, as they say. Compare to the early and later Harley Davidsons. It's a kind of mash-up of both. Clearly, a knock-off.

Ahhhh. The venerable Kettenkrad! Zoom in and feast your eyes on the fantabulous quality of the restoration, boys!
And you thought finding a decent trailer for your MUTT was hard!

Some of these scooters were owned by Steve McQueen.

Obvious nautical theme and what nice coachwork!

Douglas Commercial 3

I have a picture of my Dad, as a young man, astride a motorcycle almost exactly like this.

Dakota!

B17

Das Hitler-mobile

A26

Gorgeous! Packard was serious about their product and the coachwork...all custom.
Look at all those sexy compound curves! Guy, are you up to doing this kind of work?

Whaaaaat? A bread truck?!! Still, it was very cool!

Mitchell B-25 Considering the beauty of many of these old warbirds, it's hard to imagine most of them would have never been built if we weren't at the business of blowing each other up at the time.

It's a Doozy! I'd love to get a ride in one of these, someday.

Obligatory trip to Disneyland. I think what I like most about this place is all the creativity. Unfortunately that doesn't extend to creating enough places to sit down, get out of the heat and gather one's self for a little more adventure. :roll:

What used to be 20,000 Leagues Under the Sea is now, Finding Nemo. I'm not sure it that's a step forward, or backward.

This looks like the truck from Raiders of the Lost Ark. Their attention to detail is astounding...right down to the missing hood ornament. But, as Rick likes to say - It's a truck, not a Christmas tree! :lol:

Indiana Jones Ride - Here's a terrific idea. Old fuel cans, repurposed into a method for keeping visitors in line. I'm betting these were coated in some kind of epoxy paint and, NO, that isn't really bamboo.

More Indiana Jones. Saw one of these from a distance on the back lot tour stripped down to the tub. My best guess is it's some kind of really heavy duty fiberglass.

Universal Studios - Wizarding World of Harry Potter. Universal is doing some excellent work. From what I could see, a large portion of the undercarriage appears to be some sort of vac-u-form.

It's the Weasley mobile! Most of what looks like rust is actually paint, by the way. Terrific weathering job..

Transformers is being promoted quite heavily right now.

Oceanside, California

Here's a "what-the-heck?" moment. Parked right by a really famous vessel.... The Queen Mary!

Legos! Everybody loves Legos!

More Disney eye-candy.
Last edited by m3a1 on September 3rd, 2017, 11:42 pm, edited 12 times in total.

m3a1
Lt. General
Lt. General

Re: Planes, trains, and automobiles

Unread post by m3a1 » June 30th, 2017, 4:08 pm

:shock: Umm... I'm getting nowhere with photobucket today.

Domino80
civilian

Re: Planes, trains, and automobiles

Unread post by Domino80 » August 2nd, 2017, 9:35 am

Nice pics!