Beverly Hillbillies

Vehicles and items that do not fall into the general M151 categories

Moderators: rickf, raymond, Mr. Recovery

m3a1
Lt. General
Lt. General

Re: Beverly Hillbillies

Unread post by m3a1 » March 22nd, 2021, 4:08 pm

Our first steps toward salvation begin with admitting we have a problem...and then ignoring it for as long as possible.. :lol:

My finest solution (as yet) has been to put wheels, or carts with wheels under EVERYTHING....including my $80 Hobo Freight press because you know, sooner or later, those angle iron bits on the bottom are going to bend a little bit from 'walking' it around the place and then, they'll have to be replaced TOO. MORE WORK! So I invested in four Hobo Freight wheels (two of which have brakes). Nothing quite as
uptown' like having $20 worth of wheels under an $80 press. :roll:

Have had some REALLY bad news from the fella who runs my greatest, most awesomest spelunking place... You know the one. The one that has been in business so long a goodly amount of their salvage is up in trees. I actually saw an ejection seat in a tree today and am kicking myself for not taking a picture (so easily distracted in a place like this). The next pic is your consolation prize...

IMG_5057.jpeg

ANYhooo..he has been diagnosed with a leukemia-like illness which is going to require some serious down time in order to save his life. So, provided he DOES survive the treatment plan (not the illness, but the treatment plan!!) he'll not be back to work until September, earliest. So we went down there today to say, "See Ya when I see ya" and search for what we could buy in order to line his pockets a little bit for his time off.

Came home with a new-to-me/used set of Class II forks for Goblin, some seven inches longer than my originals which is quite an improvement, along with they're having far more paint than my originals...(and I even like the color) The extra seven inches doesn't mean a thing insofar as lift capacity but it will do a lot in terms of stability for loads being lifted...

IMG_5145.jpeg

and I replaced a missing locking stud with one I had on the shelf so they're cherry...

IMG_5146.jpeg

and I also brought home an old SIMPLEX Jack with an interesting modification (but yes, it works perfectly)...

IMG_5138.jpeg

and a very shot-out military tail light that had been decaying away on one of the donor Army forklifts. The guts are toast but the door and the bucket will probably be A-OK and because it was free, and well, why not?. Cleaned up, and refitted with a solo aftermarket stop lamp (or not) maybe it will find its way onto Goblin at some point. Until then, it goes on the great big pile of everything, waiting for its turn.

IMG_5141.jpeg

So, while Rick whiles away the hours, I am done for the day.

Cheers,
TJ
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Last edited by m3a1 on March 22nd, 2021, 10:22 pm, edited 4 times in total.

rickf
General
General

Unread post by rickf » March 22nd, 2021, 4:54 pm

Went back out and did the press upgrade to air over hydraulic and called it a day. When I was moving that stretcher/shrinker it slammed down and on of the pedals slammed square into my shin. The same shin that is made up of cadaver bone, pins, screws bars, you name it. I don't generally have a lot of feeling in that leg from the knee down but I certainly felt this one! It is dinner time so I am packing it in for the day. We will see if I can move tomorrow and if so I will be back at it between wife's doctors appointments.
That old Hien-Werner jack that was on there was DAMN heavy!!!!!
IMG_20210322_164101686.jpg
IMG_20210322_164048760_HDR.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
1964 M151A1
1984 M1008
1967 M416
04/1952 M100
12/1952 M100- Departed
AN/TSQ-114A Trailblazer- Gone

m3a1
Lt. General
Lt. General

Unread post by m3a1 » March 22nd, 2021, 7:33 pm

That's a nice looking rig ya got here.

However, inquiring minds want to know HOW you managed to tip over the stretcher-shrinker.

Good Lord, man! Were you holding a polka party in the garage? Did you do-si-do right into it? The base on that is HUGE!

rickf
General
General

Unread post by rickf » March 22nd, 2021, 8:30 pm

The stretcher/shrinker is not big at all, two small units on a stand.
IMG_20210322_145143499.jpg
You can see the wheels on the feet closest to you. I had it tipped back on them moving it into position and when I went to let it down those wheels allowed it to shoot back towards me and that pedal you see sticking out there caught me. You are probably thinking of the press, I WAS going to move that to the left where I put the cycle lift since there is an outlet there and the press would not have blocked it, then I remembered bringing that press in and placing it. Decided moving the lift was a bit easier. I never use that outlet anyway. :roll: You haven't commented on the 50 year old welding helmet yet? And yes, I got it new!
1964 M151A1
1984 M1008
1967 M416
04/1952 M100
12/1952 M100- Departed

m3a1
Lt. General
Lt. General

Unread post by m3a1 » March 22nd, 2021, 10:14 pm

Ahh... Somehow I thought it tipped over on you....but not likely with that broad of a base.

m3a1
Lt. General
Lt. General

Unread post by m3a1 » March 24th, 2021, 1:03 am

Last night was my wife's change-over night. For those of you who have never worked shift work, 'change-over night' is the night when a person adjusts their sleep schedule to accommodate the hours of the upcoming shift, usually by staying up later than normal. So, as per normal, when my wife has her 'change-over night' either my son, or I stay up far later than we would otherwise do, just to give Doctor Smith some company in the wee hours to let her know we love and appreciate her.

We had some weather coming through during this time; large thunder storm cells came complete with some rather exceptional light shows. That, coupled with the lateness of the hour meant everybody else in the area was hiding out and we walked the dogs between the storms, with clear skies and stars and without the usual frustration of having to dodge other people and their dogs. With an improved hike/bike trail alongside our property strangers and their dogs can be an issue. But, as I said, it was late and with the weather, anyone with an ounce of intelligence had already elected to pack it in for the night. Me? Not so much.

I fully admit...I should have seen it coming. The temperature was mild with light breezes at ground level with a helluva lot going on at altitude. If it had been during the day, you probably would have noticed the color of the sky change to that sickly green color that warns of tornados and hail. Alas, it was dark, I was tired and I had the duty to stay up and keep the wife company. So, with our dogs walked and in their beds, I was on the couch with the wife, INSIDE with no clear realization of how the weather was going to go sour, OUTSIDE.

Had I not been inside babysitting the good doctor, I might have been safely in bed (where I belonged) or on the porch with a cuppa and a fine cigar enjoying Mother Nature's light show. But NO, I was inside gawping at the TV, looking like a fish out of water as I silently mouthed the lines to The Godfather. Like most people, I have seen this movie approximately 10,432.7 times...

721bd57edda2115385f87599c79674dd--take-the-cannoli-poster-design.jpg
YEAH, DON'T FORGET THE CANNOLI, ROCCO!

I also admit I was paying very little attention to anything other than the business of committing a few random brain cells to the dubious task of weighing the rather poor possibility that we might actually have cannoli in the freezer.... somewhere. Guilty as charged.

I can't help it. Mobster movies ALWAYS make me hungry for Italian.

Suddenly, another storm cell was upon us with a lot of wind and rain. No problem, everything outside was prepared for it...we've been dealing with this all evening. But then, something different. The rattle of hail hit us. At first, little stuff (which doesn't actually worry me) and we went to the front door to take a peek. There we were, standing there cheek to jowl like a nice married couple, staring out at the weather...

But then the hail was getting bigger and coming down more densely. Doctor Smith looked at her beautiful new Doctor Car (which was parked in the place of honor in the driveway) as it was very quickly being covered in hail bits and beginning to look a lot like Liberace's rhinestone studded Duesenberg.....

....and then she looked at me.

Gentlemen, if you are married, you have seen The Look. It is that drearily banal facial expression that requires only a glance by a significant other to convey the time-worn query, What Are YOU Going To DO About This? and Gentlemen, this sort of nonsense has been going on since early cave men took women for mate, and the occasional sabre-toothed chupacabra came a-callin' and prowled around at the mouth of the cave and paced at the edges of the firelight. Heck, probably before that!

Adam gave up a RIB, for cryin' out loud. Think what we could have had for an ARM!!

cave-man-woman-lovers-holding-hands-cartoon-illustration-70671864.jpg

And I thought about how best to reply to The Look she gave me. I might have said, "You've got legs. What are YOU going to do about this?" But I did not say that...

Now, remember I'm tired and, and I'm being kept from my cozy bed under duress. Yes, I'm up well past my bed time (even the dogs have had the good sense to retire for the evening and the cats are all who-knows-where). What few filters I still have after all these years are thus switched off completely. So, I said, "I'm sure the Gama Goat will be just fine..." and I headed back to the couch just in time to watch Sonny Corleone get chopped into mincemeat at a Joisey turnpike booth.

I think the takeaway is, we cannot understate the importance of having correct change when traveling on Joisey toll roads or the correct retort when you're wife is wanting you to go out into the darkness, go face to face with a tornado and perhaps never return again.

I'm sure the character Sonny Corleone was thinking, "Why couldn't I have died in a NICE state?"

MY character was saying...ummm... NO. NOT dying tonight, with or without correct change..

Unhappy and unfulfilled, Doctor Smith returned from looking out the front door and slumped down on the opposite end of the couch. Despite the mighty pathos on the high resolution big screen in front of her, it was obvious that she was, mentally, somewhere else; likely searching her atavistic cave woman memories for some solution to the conundrum she was now facing, which amounted to - how could she convince me to go out into the maelstrom to do her bidding?

It wasn't that she was incapable of going outside and taking her precious car to safety (after all, there is a Dry Cleaner business with a lovely little unoccupied carport a mere 200' from our house). No, she was working on the long-term political implications of actually giving up her (imaginary) position as 'power behind the throne' if she actually...

rucked up,

got out there,

and did it herself.

The size and frequency of the hail was growing by the moment and the trees were being neatly stripped of the annoying ball moss that we have to contend with around here. Judging by the incessant slapping noises against the windows of the house, the hail was beginning to come down sideways.

Now I'm a guy from the midwest and sideways hail is one danged sure sign that going outside is only for idiots named Dorothy. Trust me. I've seen what happens in OZ and it ain't pretty, fellers. Plus, I'm pretty sure I'm allergic to Flying Monkey dandruff and frankly, wearing second-hand sequined shoes just isn't my thing. So, I did what any red-blooded midwesterner without a basement would do.

I sat on the couch, waited for the tornado and enjoyed my popcorn while I could.

wind.jpg

Meanwhile, the Corleone Method of taking care of business was also growing in size and frequency even without flying monkeys.

*sigh* :roll:

If you are married, you already have some appreciation for the dynamics of this situation. You understand that when you make your move to save the day (and you will make the attempt, because it's written in very fine print in the marital contract; Clause B, Subsection 42a, Paragraph 67, Line 762.) the only wriggle room you have is solely a matter of timing. It is paramount that you do whatever it is you do at precisely the correct moment.

Move too soon and you're reducing yourself to slave status with your wife.
Move too late and you lose those all-important git 'er done 'Husband Points'.
Move way too late and you're labeled a worthless layabout and with today's social media, that's pretty much a death sentence.
Move at just the right time not only do you gain Husband Points (and possibly earn the coveted I Saved The Day Achievement Badge), you also cement any cracks (real, or imagined) in your throne and every man knows, no matter where the power lies, whether it be behind the throne or upon it... it's good to be The King! (Because The King always gets a place to park his Royal Bottom.) Sometimes, having a place to park that thang is as good as it gets.

So, the moment the hail abated somewhat and the roaring freight train noise disappeared I sensed that this was the right moment. I leaned forward, slapped both thighs sharply and said, "Okay, that's it" thereby announcing that I, the King, had reached a momentous decision, which also implied that I had done it all on my own and without coercion or intimidation.

Extra points awarded for correct tone and nuanced presentation.

I stood up, grabbed the Doctor Car keys and the umbrella from the 105mm shell casing by the front door and headed out into the storm. I crunched down the sidewalk and hopped into the rhinestone-studded Doctor Car, tapped the wipers once to clear the windshield, slid her into gear, stabbed the go-pedal, pulled a U-turn and headed for the protection of the car port.

A microsecond later, I arrived at the safety of the carport. After tucking the car in (which amounted to moving Doctor Bag Lady's 43 ridiculously over-priced bags to the trunk) I grabbed the Doctor's ridiculously over-priced purse and the umbrella and headed back out into the night and the hail, making a beeline for the house.

Except I discovered I couldn't go that way.

Our street serves not only the motoring public for their transportation needs but also serves as a major method of drainage. Thus, the high crown of the street keeps run-off flowing in steady (and speedy) streams, each with a width of about 5' along each curb. So, I headed uphill, away from the house. By the time I reached the intersection (which was surprisingly well lit by the blue lights of a now closed convenience store) it was hailing again, far more aggressively than before. Was this to be the Sudden Death Round? Tell us what our contestant will win, Johnny!

At this point, the hail wasn't the schwerpunkt of my concern. Nope. Being seen...now THAT was the main point of my concern!

I bounded and high-stepped out into the middle of the intersection and then headed back toward the other side; all of this so as to remain chiefly in the areas with the least amount of water. In theory, the sudden impact of your shoe displaces the water like a meteor striking the ocean and with an equally sudden withdrawal of said shoe, water does not have time to close in and soak your footwear. Oddly, when done properly, it actually works!

I was pleased that the lateness of the hour and the foul weather meant no one was there to see me; a middle-aged, fat dude with a Louie Vuitton purse and a parasol bounding about in a rainy, hail covered intersection, behaving like some headlight-crazed deer horribly afflicted with some kind of brain-eating amoeba and with zero sense of direction. Actually, I was hopping from one tiny island in the pavement to the next. Tiny irregularities in the asphalt are NOT in a straight line but they DO make for big opportunities to stay dry(er)when the water is running deep.... (and any other time, the pavement looks so flat. Go figure!)

Suddenly, with great clarity, it occurred to me what I must surely look like to others....

e94716040c682914d62bd83fda5f2fff.jpg

and friends, some things seen, cannot be UN-seen. Happily, no one was there to see them.

Naturally, as soon as I got back to the safety of my front porch, everything stopped. Rain stopped. Hail stopped. Wind stopped. I closed the umbrella, which was still wet and tossed it on the carpet in the living room. My forebears would have dropped an animal carcass, still bloody, on the floor of the cave with the expectation that they might receive at least a tiny expression of gratitude. Receiving none, I dropped the Louie Purse at the Doctor's feet and nonchalantly tossed her the keys (rather than hanging them up properly) and then I plopped my Royal Bottom back on the couch...

where it belonged.

I had done my duty. I had also risked my standing in the community to do it, because one photo of me tosspotting around in a late-night intersection like a looney would certainly have made front page news.

My throne - cemented.
My power - restored.

And YEAH....I AM Mary Poppins, yo!
Last edited by m3a1 on March 24th, 2021, 1:34 pm, edited 25 times in total.

Mark
Brigadier General
Brigadier General

Unread post by Mark » March 24th, 2021, 5:09 am

I applaud your writing skills in putting your thoughts on paper
mark

1968 m274A5
1960 m151
1981 m151A2
1964 m416
1971 m416

Mr. Recovery
Brigadier General
Brigadier General

Unread post by Mr. Recovery » March 24th, 2021, 11:37 am

:lol: 8)
dan-2beers.jpg
1960 M151 Run 1
1963 M151 Willys DoD 10-63 in Baltimore
1989 Alley Cat. "work in Progress"
NRA Life Member
American Legion Post 275 Fl
US Army 6 years 2nd Armored Cavalry Bindlach Germany
Colorado Army Nat. Guard 5 years
Md Air Guard 15 years active duty on C-130's

rickf
General
General

Unread post by rickf » March 24th, 2021, 12:10 pm

Ah, Little does he know about that video camera I had the cable guy friend of mine put up on the pole there! :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: Film to highest bidder. :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
1964 M151A1
1984 M1008
1967 M416
04/1952 M100
12/1952 M100- Departed

m3a1
Lt. General
Lt. General

Unread post by m3a1 » March 24th, 2021, 1:40 pm

:shock:

m3a1
Lt. General
Lt. General

Unread post by m3a1 » March 24th, 2021, 2:21 pm

Some of you will probably have more appreciation for this little project than others...

...not necessarily for the product itself but for the creative method.

These are patterned upon the WWII/Korea practice bombs that used to be found in any reputable surplus store.

Here, I am working out the sizes and angles and the best (best = easiest) method for producing a few of these.

After a bit of research I found there are actually several types.

Some of the minor variables are obviously designed to induce spin which, as we all know, makes for greater stability.

I've no interest in dropping anything. Instead, I am just making some eye candy out of some junk I've had laying around..

IMG_5132.jpeg

With these new templates, I've added 1/2" of width right in the middle which brought me pretty close to the look I desired.

IMG_5148.jpeg

Going through this process helps me understand the complexities of the shape and helps me break it down to manageable sections.

Most of this is done with computers nowadays and I'm rather sure Guy could explain this in a far more scholarly way than I.

IMG_5150.jpeg

Before you ask, NO...I have no special training in this sort of thing.

Mostly, I get myself into such projects because it never occurs to me that I can't do it.

IMG_5151.jpeg

There's always something goin' on at the Beverly Hillbillies!

Cheers,
TJ

Surveyor
Terminal

Unread post by Surveyor » March 24th, 2021, 4:09 pm

Guy would probably work out a nest pattern to minimize drop, slots, tabs, maximize bends to reduce amount of weld time, make a jig to keep it all square, laser cut the hell out of it all after a 3D scan of a real one, and a 3D print for a test run in a wind tunnel. :D :lol:
1960 M151 Run #1
"There is one nut on a M151 that is very difficult to remove....." - K8icu
"She ain't a Cadillac and she ain't a Rolls, But there ain't nothin' wrong with the radio" - Aaron Tippin

m3a1
Lt. General
Lt. General

Unread post by m3a1 » March 24th, 2021, 8:47 pm

Surveyor wrote:
March 24th, 2021, 4:09 pm
Guy would probably work out a nest pattern to minimize drop, slots, tabs, maximize bends to reduce amount of weld time, make a jig to keep it all square, laser cut the hell out of it all after a 3D scan of a real one, and a 3D print for a test run in a wind tunnel. :D :lol:
No doubt. No doubt at all. Guy isn't here right now, but if you'd like to leave a message....

The fun thing about projects like this is it often takes you in new directions. I took a new direction....straight to the Kerrville Hobo Freight and picked up their version of a 230V spot welder. Reviews seemed to be very good and this will allow me to construct some things I've been wanting to try.

Naturally, they had none of the consumables for the tool available for sale but that's academic, though I might have invested in some if they had been there.

ARE YOU LISTENING, HOBO FREIGHT DUDES?

So, I will get to play with my new welder quite soon (sadly, the local weather is going in the toilet.... again).

On the trip up there I saw a few fun things I though worthy of sharing with y'all.

The home of a fella whose hobby has completely taken over his life (I'm a rank amateur, by comparison). THIS is his HOME!! :shock:

IMG_5152.jpeg

And a very nice golf car especially built for the sole purpose of ferrying shoppers of Kerrville's local HEB Company (a grocery chain) to and from their cars. (Kerrville's population is largely composed of retired, and elderly military veterans so walking isn't really their thing.)

IMG_5153.jpeg
IMG_5155.jpeg
IMG_5157.jpeg
IMG_5159.jpeg
Cheers,
TJ

m3a1
Lt. General
Lt. General

Unread post by m3a1 » March 28th, 2021, 6:49 am

At the moment, I am sort of between things. A pop-up exhibit popped up at the San Antonio Museum oF Art (mistaken capitalization not mistaken because I am rather childish when it comes to hoity toity stuff like art museums) and the fact that the exhibit looked like someone had decided one of the museum's barrel barns (it being located in a former brewery) was better suited for this kind of 'art'. Car aficionados get NO respect. So, what follows are some photos strictly for your enjoyment with little or none of my usual witty banter.

Enjoy.

IMG_5188.jpeg
IMG_5189.jpeg
IMG_5190.jpeg
IMG_5191.jpeg

m3a1
Lt. General
Lt. General

Unread post by m3a1 » March 28th, 2021, 6:50 am

IMG_5192.jpeg
IMG_5193.jpeg
IMG_5194.jpeg
IMG_5195.jpeg
IMG_5196.jpeg