Track Photos

This is a spot for posting those old photos of your service days, your favorite tractor, whatever...Don't be shy we all love looking at pictures! No Nekkid People though, this is a "G" rated site!

Moderators: rickf, raymond, Mr. Recovery

Motorcityman
1st Sergeant
1st Sergeant

Re: Track Photos

Unread post by Motorcityman » October 21st, 2010, 1:36 pm

Very cool! How about a shot of the inside of yours? The outside looks magnificent! I know a guy with an M113 but his has vision blocks on the sides, I think it's an Italian version. A fella in my motorcycle club drove one in Vietnam and drove over a landmine, he was carrying troops but they were all up top and he's the only one that got injured in a significant way. One of his legs is amputated below the knee and he has several fragments of alluminum in his gut, arms and legs.

Just this morning I read an update on facebook of a buddy of mine who shot up some M113's in New Mexico yesterday along with a truck with a scud missle on top. He's a Kiowa warrior pilot and is getting ready to redeploy to afghanistan for his second tour.

David
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

Unread post by David » October 21st, 2010, 2:30 pm

Crusader_22 wrote:Oh, wow. That is amazing. Not one, but 3?! I would be logistically overwhelmed by the ownership of one of those. My buddy has a halftrack, and if he didn't live out in the sticks, it wouldn't get used much. it is a major event to get it anywhere. How do you transport those to where you want to drive them?

:lol: Or do you all live next to each other in the country - coolest neighborhood EVER!
Semi and an RGN trailer for the most part to move them.

David
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

Unread post by David » October 21st, 2010, 2:34 pm

Motorcityman wrote:Very cool! How about a shot of the inside of yours? The outside looks magnificent! I know a guy with an M113 but his has vision blocks on the sides, I think it's an Italian version. A fella in my motorcycle club drove one in Vietnam and drove over a landmine, he was carrying troops but they were all up top and he's the only one that got injured in a significant way. One of his legs is amputated below the knee and he has several fragments of alluminum in his gut, arms and legs.

Just this morning I read an update on facebook of a buddy of mine who shot up some M113's in New Mexico yesterday along with a truck with a scud missle on top. He's a Kiowa warrior pilot and is getting ready to redeploy to afghanistan for his second tour.
If it has vision blocks on the side of the hull, it's probably an early prototype/limitimed made model. You see a few used by the 25th ID in Vietnam super early on.

Unfortunately I do not own any of these. Track B23 belongs to a very good friend of mine. I had the chance to get one, but couldnt swing the money on short notice.

I have some pics of the inside somewhere, but not on this computer. It pretty much looks like a standard 113 with sea foam green inside, radios, troop benches, etc etc.

Floyd
Captain
Captain

Unread post by Floyd » October 21st, 2010, 3:57 pm

I can’t stop drooling :mrgreen: to type, so very cool. Thanks for the post David.

Floyd
1961 M151
1967 M416
1988 M35A2C
VFW Life Member
NRA Life Member

raymond
Major General
Major General

Unread post by raymond » October 21st, 2010, 4:44 pm

Nice armor :!: 8) While I was not in the military, what armor I have seen always looked like it had the paint slopped on with a brush by a 18 year old who wished he was doing something else.
Raymond

"On the day when crime puts on the apparel of innocence, through a curious reversal peculiar to our age, it is innocence that is called on to justify itself." Albert Camus

csmith
Brigadier General
Brigadier General

Unread post by csmith » October 21st, 2010, 10:21 pm

Way, Way, Way cool :!: :!:
1976 M151A2 4 Color Cammo Mutt, aquired August 09
1976 or 7? M151A2 "Miss Sandy" Driver, aquired May 2010
Former owner M151A2 "Miss Saigon" Vietnam Rescue Sold Sept 09
Fond appreciation for the M151 Breed!!

Hambone
Brigadier General
Brigadier General

Unread post by Hambone » October 22nd, 2010, 12:18 am

I definitly want you guys on my team.

toptiger
Colonel
Colonel

Unread post by toptiger » October 22nd, 2010, 4:00 am

well boys and girls, time for a war story involving 2 APCs near the Plain of Reeds, north of Saigon, 0100 hrs September 1968.
My gunship fireteam, 2 UH-1C Hueys, were asked to do a rare night support mission {we didn't have any night vision equipt back then and rarely flew night missions, in fact I doubt I flew more than 2or 3 nighttime gunship missions the whole time. The glare from the miniguns and rocket blasts ruin night vision. Plus the fact that it was very hard to see the target. The guys on the ground had to direct our fire from WP grenades and we could see the green and orange tracers so we had an idea, but still dangerous s h stuff}.
SOOOOOO, We get to the AO and began holding under the guidance of the ground unit CO flying in another Huey slick.
After a very boring 30 minutes of flying lazy circles in the sky listening to AF radio, suddenly 2 separate .50s open up, each firing at the other about 300 meters apart. The tracer rounds light up the night and ricochet all over. I am thinking WTF? how could .50s do that against soft targets? I contact the unit CO in the other Huey, "WTF, over. You guys got a VC tank out there? ''
"Wait one Mustang 6", was his reply.
This firefight with bursts coming and going was fascinating to watch from the air, and went on for what seemed like 10 minutes but was in reality probably no more than 45 seconds. Then it stopped just as abruptly as it began as a series of parachute flares illuminated the area.
Finally the CO radios me, " Disregard, 6, two of our APCs opened fire on each other."
I have always wondered what it was like to be in those APCs in serious indian country and have lots of .50s pinging off the armor. Better than an RPG, I suppose, which would ruin your day.
Total respect for those guys on the ground.
We were released soon after and went home to our base, and me to my special room in the barracks, which I will have to relate some day.
Author M-151 MUTT, The Vietnam Jeep
Paper edition http://www.blurb.com/books/1646321
IOS ebook iBookstore: http://itunes.apple.com/us/book/id598605516
2 M151A2s, M416 trailer, M274A5 Mule,
Former Army Aviator, Bien Hoa, VN 1968-69
Mustang Gunship Platoon Commander
68th Assault Helicopter Company 'Top Tigers'
Central Florida and France

WC Matt
Colonel
Colonel

Unread post by WC Matt » October 22nd, 2010, 7:44 am

.50cal will punch right through an M113. my M59 which had a hull made from Steel, had both .50cal and 20mm penatrations to it that went completely through in one side out the other. Maybe both APCs were proof against .50 on the frontal arc but most certainly not from the sides. Thanks for the stories. Reminded me of one involving an M60A3 tank a friend told me.
Matt

ccandgc
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

Unread post by ccandgc » October 24th, 2010, 7:45 pm

great pictures!
gotta love Texas!
-Chad
1971 AMG M151A2 Mutt
1966 Stevens M416

salt6
2nd Lieutenant
2nd Lieutenant

Unread post by salt6 » October 24th, 2010, 10:43 pm

If your doing VN you need to add a roll of chain link and some pickets.
"People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf."

George Orwell
-------------------------------------
"I once was one of those men."

salt6

http://www.mg42.us