MUTT B-40 rocket (RPG)

This is a spot for posting those old photos of your service days, your favorite tractor, whatever...Don't be shy we all love looking at pictures! No Nekkid People though, this is a "G" rated site!

Moderators: rickf, raymond, Mr. Recovery

Ralph Fuller
Colonel
Colonel

MUTT B-40 rocket (RPG)

Unread post by Ralph Fuller » March 11th, 2011, 8:58 pm

Ralph
1967 M151A1
1967 M151A1
1967 M416
1947 Bantam TC-3 trailer
If The Phone Don't Ring ... You'll Know It's Me
Airborne Ranger CIB Vietnam

mrdibbles
Colonel
Colonel

Re: MUTT B-40 rocket (RPG)

Unread post by mrdibbles » March 11th, 2011, 9:08 pm

That's the dark side of these vehicles. Terrible to see but important to see.
1992 Mercedes-Benz 250GD Wolf - Former German Army
St. Augustine, Florida

Ralph Fuller
Colonel
Colonel

Unread post by Ralph Fuller » March 12th, 2011, 7:22 am

Matt: I debated with myself about posting pictures like this, but agree with you...it is a part of the history.
Ralph
1967 M151A1
1967 M151A1
1967 M416
1947 Bantam TC-3 trailer
If The Phone Don't Ring ... You'll Know It's Me
Airborne Ranger CIB Vietnam

WC Matt
Colonel
Colonel

Unread post by WC Matt » March 12th, 2011, 8:33 am

Ralph
Thanks for posting. A friend of mine who was over in Afghanistan showed me some images of combat damaged MVs (some resulted in KIAs) and I remember him saying "yeah, I'm not supposed to have these as it's illeagal* to take/posess photos of knocked out US vehicles." I notice on that A1 that it is shod in street tires and not the standard NDTs. I've seen that quite a bit in photos over there (vehicles sporting street tires) but never at an MV show.

Matt

* May not be illeagal but maybe against orders? The Military doesn't want such photos released because it may give away weak points in a design to potential enemies. IMHO, I think they already know where those weak points are and it is common knowledge amonst our enemies.

Motorcityman
1st Sergeant
1st Sergeant

Unread post by Motorcityman » March 12th, 2011, 12:56 pm

I'm surprised the grenade didn't do more damage. The PG-2 "rocket" (Chinese/Viet B-40) infact is not a rocket, it simply has a blackpowder charge that launches itself out of the tube propelling it with the gasses produced from the black powder. The PG-7 (rocket from an RPG-7) is an actual rocket though and it's a common misconception calling a PG-2 a rocket. Regardless it's a deadly weapon, thanks for posting the image.

Here's my RPG-2 AND PG-2, both of which I built myself as they weren't commonly available like they are now.

WC Matt
Colonel
Colonel

Unread post by WC Matt » March 12th, 2011, 6:11 pm

[quote="Motorcityman"]I'm surprised the grenade didn't do more damage. The PG-2 "rocket" (Chinese/Viet B-40) infact is not a rocket, it simply has a blackpowder charge that launches itself out of the tube propelling it with the gasses produced from the black powder. The PG-7 (rocket from an RPG-7) is an actual rocket though and it's a common misconception calling a PG-2 a rocket. Regardless it's a deadly weapon, thanks for posting the image.

quote]

That is interesting to know, thanks for posting. So the PG-2 is similar to the Panzerfaust in so much as it relies on a "busting charge" to launch it (hopefully) away from the shooter?
Matt

Motorcityman
1st Sergeant
1st Sergeant

Unread post by Motorcityman » March 12th, 2011, 11:16 pm

WC Matt wrote:
Motorcityman wrote:I'm surprised the grenade didn't do more damage. The PG-2 "rocket" (Chinese/Viet B-40) infact is not a rocket, it simply has a blackpowder charge that launches itself out of the tube propelling it with the gasses produced from the black powder. The PG-7 (rocket from an RPG-7) is an actual rocket though and it's a common misconception calling a PG-2 a rocket. Regardless it's a deadly weapon, thanks for posting the image.

quote]

That is interesting to know, thanks for posting. So the PG-2 is similar to the Panzerfaust in so much as it relies on a "busting charge" to launch it (hopefully) away from the shooter?
Matt
The RPG-2 is actually a descendant of the Panzerfaust 250, actually the 150 and 250. These are both late war (WW2) German designs with the 250 having an actual trigger group similar to the RPG-2. The grenade is an almost exact copy, if you google "panzerfaust 150" you will see the similarities. I have seen both sectioned panzerfaust 150 and PG-2's in person during my studies and they are almost exact, propelling charge is even the same. The copper cone (HEAT) on both weighed the exact weight, The two examples that I studied were manufactured 20 years apart. The PG-7 on the other hand is much more complex and has a propelling charge similar to the pg-2 but the charge is contained within and not screwed on, the propelling charge launches it away from the launcher (actual shooter) approx. 20 meters then the rocket motor charge kicks in and kaboom the bastard takes off (all happens in a fraction of a second), the fins in the back create the rotation.