But, Dear...It Followed Me Home

This is a spot for posting those old photos of your service days, your favorite tractor, whatever...Don't be shy we all love looking at pictures! No Nekkid People though, this is a "G" rated site!

Moderators: rickf, raymond, Mr. Recovery

csmith
Brigadier General
Brigadier General

Re: But, Dear...It Followed Me Home

Unread post by csmith » March 15th, 2011, 6:32 pm

Nice score Ralph, congrats :!:
1976 M151A2 4 Color Cammo Mutt, aquired August 09
1976 or 7? M151A2 "Miss Sandy" Driver, aquired May 2010
Former owner M151A2 "Miss Saigon" Vietnam Rescue Sold Sept 09
Fond appreciation for the M151 Breed!!

Ralph Fuller
Colonel
Colonel

Unread post by Ralph Fuller » March 15th, 2011, 8:06 pm

Dave wrote: "Also,if this is an early girl, she will have the OLD style CONTROL BOX mounted underneath the consul, above the hi beam switch. Used with the early TURN Signal setup."
Ralph
1967 M151A1
1967 M151A1
1967 M416
1947 Bantam TC-3 trailer
If The Phone Don't Ring ... You'll Know It's Me
Airborne Ranger CIB Vietnam

rickf
General
General

Unread post by rickf » March 15th, 2011, 8:17 pm

Something is odd about that BUDD tag, how is it attached? That is a straight 151, No third light in back but open knuckles and scalloped floor drains so I am still sticking with 63. The underneath on that thing is fantastic.

Rick
1964 M151A1
1984 M1008
1967 M416
04/1952 M100
12/1952 M100- Departed
AN/TSQ-114A Trailblazer- Gone

199th mp
Major
Major

Unread post by 199th mp » March 15th, 2011, 9:21 pm

hey guys, please help me understand a few details here in comparing this one to mine--my budd # is 32182, which seems would be earlier, yet i have the rear b/o light. are the numbers not necessarily in order? i have the same rear floor and the same drains, but a different control box. i would be interested to know how this comes about that the two vehicles share some common distinctive traits, yet part company on others. can any of you shed some light on this for me? thanks.

tankerm60
Sergeant First Class
Sergeant First Class

Unread post by tankerm60 » March 16th, 2011, 5:19 am

Ralf,

Thanks for the CLOSE UP PICS. Clearly you can see some of the KEY POINTS I mentioned earlier in my posts. STRAIT M151s DID NOT use TURN SIGNALS. The WIRING HARNESS did not allow for this. The early M151a1 did have the aditional wires in the harness with the tagged and closed eye terminal connections-to the control box. The Spartan turn signal control + other makers used, wires with again closed eye connectors went to the control box. My 1963 had NO PROVISSIONS for a turn signal setup, NOre did any M151. There were NO MOUNTING tabs on the firewall to attach a control box. The early A1's used the control box-plain and simple with the 25 amp system. Later conversions with the newer style turn signal commonly seen now with Flasher unit.

AGAIN: ONLY the STRAIT M151 had the SPACING of the RIBS on the REAR FLOOR ! Again, the early M151 had the CURVED STEERING KNUCKLE Covers. View ARTY Dans resto/ Fredric's resto.

AGAIN: ONLY the STRAIT M151 used the OVAL FLOOR DRAINS, not the style submitted in the pic. That is clearly an M151a1 floor pan !

Rear Lite: Ralf, the reflector is covering where the B/O lite would be. Is there evidence that the mounting tab has been GROUND OFF ? And a reflector added to cover the hole. If this was a strait M151, the mounting srcews for the reflector would have been threaded Nut type permanently attached to the Rear panel.

There are to many A1 features to sway my change of thoughts. Rick, there is NO Way that this is a 63. BUDD did not make the Body then-FREUHOFF TRAILER Co. made the 63s Tubs. There is NO BUDD TAGS on them. Even Fredrics is free from this in France !

If there is a HOLE where the rear reflector is-, = A1 If solid then we have to agree that it is What a Franken Mutt, or a transition 1964. Rick, does your 64 have these features ? Again, ALL the features show, point to it as being an early M151a1. OR if Ken comes back with a DATE that will throw us all off ? Then. it will prove, it was a made up vehicle with many ealy STRAIT m151 parts added to it. Budd tag: On my prior post. I as well had 2 fronts of demilled A1s. One was an A1c-spare wheel forward right side. I recieved this from DB in Pa. One of his many front half demills. This Budd tag was as well afixed by the use of studs. The center #s were was bady rotted. I took a cold chisle and removed these. There was on each side a tapered pin/stud-maybe 1/8th " long. I gave these to the owner who purchaced my 67 and 63. My other front half had a welded Budd tag. So, I have had 2 of these.And 2 of the welded style.

Dave-TankerM60

tankerm60
Sergeant First Class
Sergeant First Class

Unread post by tankerm60 » March 16th, 2011, 5:27 am

Observation: Pics first submitted .
FRONT RIGHT FENDER: Notice FORWARD of the B/O DRIVE Lite. You can see clearly the RAISED MOUNTING pad for the Directional light. Only A1's had these.
Dave-TankerM60

muttguru
Colonel
Colonel

Unread post by muttguru » March 16th, 2011, 5:39 am

Ralph,

from my records, that BUDD number would be a Ford-built March 1967 M151A1.
Ford had two serial number sequences running at that time, the first was the "2L-" series and the second was the "2N-" series.

If yours was delivered to the Army (not USMC, not USAF), then I'd estimate the hood number would have been around 2L 72xx or 2N 78xx.
Maybe you can find traces of the original hood numbers?
Ken
Kind regards....
Ken

Always wanted - Details and pictures of M416 Trailer data plates & M151 data plates & body-tags for my research. Thanks!

Contact address - - muttguru@aol.com

Note for 2023..... Ken..."Less Stress - More Exercise!"

rickf
General
General

Unread post by rickf » March 16th, 2011, 7:24 am

I asked if it had turn signals and the answer was no it did not. My 64 had the old turn signal control, I converted to the newer style. I have the black out brake light. Mine is a transition mutt, it has features of both. I have the two hole defrosters and the old style vent deflectors, also the old style hood. I am curious Dave. You were on here for years before you moved and never came forward with all of this info but now you seem to be the number one authority. You do not seem to want to accept no for an answer. I am not debating, just wondering why all of a sudden................
I am in no way an expert on the older body's, I am a mechanic and try to limit myself to that area of expertise. I do judge at Aberdeen so I try to pick up any pertinent info I can get, it is just that some of it is confusing. If you are 100% sure of the body floor differences I will add that to my notes for future reference. You should add this info to the wiki so it is all in one place for future reference.

Rick
1964 M151A1
1984 M1008
1967 M416
04/1952 M100
12/1952 M100- Departed
AN/TSQ-114A Trailblazer- Gone

Ralph Fuller
Colonel
Colonel

Unread post by Ralph Fuller » March 16th, 2011, 7:41 am

muttguru wrote:
Ralph,

from my records, that BUDD number would be a Ford-built March 1967 M151A1.
Ford had two serial number sequences running at that time, the first was the "2L-" series and the second was the "2N-" series.

If yours was delivered to the Army (not USMC, not USAF), then I'd estimate the hood number would have been around 2L 72xx or 2N 78xx.
Maybe you can find traces of the original hood numbers?
Ken
Data plate is faded and looks original. It has four, small, matching Phillips head screws and reads:
3/67
2N 7910

Ralph
1967 M151A1
1967 M151A1
1967 M416
1947 Bantam TC-3 trailer
If The Phone Don't Ring ... You'll Know It's Me
Airborne Ranger CIB Vietnam

tankerm60
Sergeant First Class
Sergeant First Class

Unread post by tankerm60 » March 17th, 2011, 9:39 am

3/17/11
3:00pm -Ukraine

Hello Ralf, Rick and the Rest of the group,

First let me say, Lets End and finish this Tirade. I think if the DATA Plate Pic was shown from the beginning, some of this Tit for Tat would never started. Yes Rick, I have been and had been a member for years, and will continue to be, prior to my moving to eastern Europe. I mainly sat back and absorbed all this info on these vehicles and kept to myself and enjoyed OUR HOBBY. Most on this site are A2 owners, I am Not. I am a M151 and A1 guy. My desired vehicle has been and is the EARLY M151. I know and apreciate Your expertise on these vehicles.I AM NOT and Never have professed to be an expert. I will leave that to Ken.
I had 22 years driving these while in the military and many now as a hobbiest. It seems that we both have strong personalities about our fields. Rick, all I am saying is, that when things are not correct and statements are made about the STRAIT M151, I will speak up. That is all. I am NOT The Purported EXPERT. You have to understand that when someone asks for opinions and informational help on Early M151s I will lend a hand-thats all. As far as technical, mechanical, I will give you a handshake. But, there are Pertinent differences between the Strait M151 to the A1 and A2. You mentioned many of them allready being on your 64. We have gone over this to many times noting the pertinent KEY identifying features of the Strait M151. Clearly the Floor Drains-OVAL spring loaded covers, Spaced Ribs on the REAR Floor, early style foot pedals, Flat air breather top, No rear B/O marker, 3 ribbed/chervron hood, curved sterring knuckles, shovel tabs etc. the list goes on. All I will say is, that this is the type jeep that I have focussed my attention too. Because I am across the Big pond, has nothing to do with my postings on this site. Keeping me interested and enjoying our Hobby from far away. In any case. We will allways have our differences in opinions. This has been clearly noted in all of the member postings. There is No One Clear defined absolute perfect answer. I do and will take NO for an answer, but not in a condesending way. So for now, lets put this to rest. Ken has answered Ralf's ? Case Closed. Now it's Miller Time ! :)
Dave-Tankerm60

rickf
General
General

Unread post by rickf » March 17th, 2011, 9:57 am

Ok...................
1964 M151A1
1984 M1008
1967 M416
04/1952 M100
12/1952 M100- Departed