Preview: 64 Early

This is a spot for posting those old photos of your service days, your favorite tractor, whatever...Don't be shy we all love looking at pictures! No Nekkid People though, this is a "G" rated site!

Moderators: rickf, raymond, Mr. Recovery

Rainman
Brigadier General
Brigadier General

Preview: 64 Early

Unread post by Rainman » December 10th, 2011, 8:24 pm

You've all heard tell of my 64 early, here's a few pictures to prove that I not only own the fastest 151, but also the ugliest. :D
The recovery from Indiana...
Makes you think the kid didn't want grandpa to sell it, as he takes his last ride in tow.
If nothing else, it was original and complete, except for the paint and all that extra ugly Bubba put on it.
It was so ugly, I had to paint it with green krylon rattle cans just so my neighbors would stop reminding me how ugly it was.
The kid next door called it "fugly". I figured that one out with no assistance.
And then it's off to rent the sandblaster...

Rainman
Last edited by Rainman on December 11th, 2011, 12:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.
M151 World Land Speed Record Holder

Rainman
Brigadier General
Brigadier General

Re: Preview: 64 Early

Unread post by Rainman » December 10th, 2011, 8:44 pm

Engine out and wires taped up, and it's still Fugly. (with a capital F)
I had the blaster for the weekend, so more than just 151 parts got cleaned up. Just got the brushguard back on the Mountaineer last week. :D
It sure is looking better as the layers of fugly and rust are removed
Working in an old field has it's advantages and it's disadvantages
and by 2300 hrs, I call it a night
Just had to throw the seats in there so I could sit and enjoy all the missing ugly.

Rainman

Hambone
Brigadier General
Brigadier General

Unread post by Hambone » December 10th, 2011, 10:17 pm

It's only as fast as what's on the other end of that tow chain. :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: Hambone

raymond
Major General
Major General

Unread post by raymond » December 10th, 2011, 10:39 pm

Why tape up the wire harness :?: I thought that in addition to owning the M151 land speed record, you also owned the only NOS M151/M151A1 wire harness known to man :?

P.S. Rainman, could you send me your phone number, I have a neat old M227 WW2 signal lamp that was just given to my by a friend cleaning out his father's barn. It is complete with original canvas carry case, wire shoulder stock, box of original spare bulbs, tripod, wires and key switch, and even the super rare goggles still in original cardboard box. The only problem is it doesn't work. I was told to find an old radio or tv repair place and they could rewire it or fix the relay. Being an old radio guy, I was hoping you could recommend someone. :)

P.S.S. I post some pictures of it tomorrow.
Raymond

"On the day when crime puts on the apparel of innocence, through a curious reversal peculiar to our age, it is innocence that is called on to justify itself." Albert Camus

muttguru
Colonel
Colonel

Unread post by muttguru » December 11th, 2011, 6:05 am

Ray,
any chance of a close-up of the dash dataplate? (or a direct e-mail with the info)? It would help my Willys-Kaiser research quite a bit.
Ken
Kind regards....
Ken

Always wanted - Details and pictures of M416 Trailer data plates & M151 data plates & body-tags for my research. Thanks!

Contact address - - muttguru@aol.com

Note for 2023..... Ken..."Less Stress - More Exercise!"

halftracknut
Brigadier General
Brigadier General

Unread post by halftracknut » December 11th, 2011, 9:24 am

Rainman, You have grit ...true grit :lol: project looks great.....htn
slowest mutt east of the missippi..

Cobra5
Colonel
Colonel

Unread post by Cobra5 » December 11th, 2011, 12:27 pm

Rainman,

Is that you sandblasting or someone else? I didn't know rental units were avaiable. I've been blasting litle items that fit in my cabinet and than paying someone to blast the big stuff. What's the going rate to rent the equipment?

Rainman
Brigadier General
Brigadier General

Unread post by Rainman » December 11th, 2011, 12:57 pm

Ahhh yesss, the golden NOS M151A1 wire harness. It to is in my possession, but I don't feel this jeep is worthy of THE only NOS M151A1 harness known to man. One of these days a museum quality A1 body will be in need of a first rate ground up restoration, and only then the harness may find a home.

Thanks HTN, that true grit was in my teeth, my eyes and another place that caused a rash. :oops:

Ken, will be glad to send pictures of the many ID's on this jeep, though I sent them once 3 yrs back. You had said this jeep and another you had info on were only 8 numbers apart I know, it shouldn't take me 3 yrs to go from purchase to beginning the resto, but I'm just not in a hurry since I drive my A2 regularly.

Cobra, picked up the compressor and blast tank on a Saturday AM and had to return it before noon on Monday. Cost without sand was just over $150 plus tax, and it came with 50lbs of black diamond in it from the previous renter. That stuff is a little aggressive. I did a spare set of rims, my brush guard and a few things from the basement and garage.

Ah Grasshoppa Hambone, You are very young, and have many lesson to learn. There is wisdom in reading...http://g838.org/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=381 ... sd=a&hilit :wink: :lol:

Rainman

Rainman
Brigadier General
Brigadier General

Unread post by Rainman » December 11th, 2011, 2:11 pm

Ran out of daylight before I ran out of ugly, so blasting continued on day 2.
Considering the bondo we blew off of it, I was more than a little amazed it was as straight as it was.
Tipping the jeep on it's side was accomplished with 3 people. Once up, the 3rd man grabbed the 2X4's
I have a small under body repair kit ready to be installed, just not sure when. Got the parts MrR, thanks.
This last picture shows the LR tire angled in a little more than I'm comfortable with.
I'm sure someone will give me a few pointers as to why this is. Oh yeah, I did have help, but not
that spoke english, so with all the noise, hand signals worked fine. This isn't at my place,It's a
field that belongs to a generous fellow Ohio Motorpool member, George Ellis.
Rainman

muttguru
Colonel
Colonel

Unread post by muttguru » December 11th, 2011, 7:03 pm

Rainman wrote: Ken, will be glad to send pictures of the many ID's on this jeep, though I sent them once 3 yrs back. You had said this jeep and another you had info on were only 8 numbers apart I know, it shouldn't take me 3 yrs to go from purchase to beginning the resto, Rainman
Ray, you're absolutely right.... I already have it....I should have checked first....but I immediately thought that this was your new purchase :D
Ken
Kind regards....
Ken

Always wanted - Details and pictures of M416 Trailer data plates & M151 data plates & body-tags for my research. Thanks!

Contact address - - muttguru@aol.com

Note for 2023..... Ken..."Less Stress - More Exercise!"