The OTHER hobby...

This is a spot for posting those old photos of your service days, your favorite tractor, whatever...Don't be shy we all love looking at pictures! No Nekkid People though, this is a "G" rated site!

Moderators: rickf, raymond, Mr. Recovery

retiredpara
Master Sergeant
Master Sergeant

The OTHER hobby...

Unread post by retiredpara » July 10th, 2014, 10:10 pm

...is deer hunting! Opening day of bow here in Missouri is 15 Sept. Just pulled my card and found this guy on a trail cam. Hope he sticks around! Pretty good deer, especially with about two more months of antler growth to go!

Post yours up. Any other deer crazy types on the G838?

rickf
General
General

Re: The OTHER hobby...

Unread post by rickf » July 11th, 2014, 7:50 am

That ought to wake up Rainman! I am going to bounce this over to favorite pictures since that is the more appropriate forum. Don't have time right now but will do it later unless Raymond or Mr. R wants to do it now.
No problems with the pics though.
1964 M151A1
1984 M1008
1967 M416
04/1952 M100
12/1952 M100- Departed
AN/TSQ-114A Trailblazer- Gone

raymond
Major General
Major General

Unread post by raymond » July 11th, 2014, 9:11 am

You should shoot it now before any poachers can get it :idea: :roll: :lol: 8)
Raymond

"On the day when crime puts on the apparel of innocence, through a curious reversal peculiar to our age, it is innocence that is called on to justify itself." Albert Camus

Rainman
Brigadier General
Brigadier General

Unread post by Rainman » July 11th, 2014, 11:41 am

Very nice for a young buck. Down at the farm last week and my cousin had found a set of February sheds with 19 pts. We seldom ever see the big ones in the daytime though, and never during the season other than 2:00 AM trail cams.
Rainman
M151 World Land Speed Record Holder

retiredpara
Master Sergeant
Master Sergeant

Unread post by retiredpara » July 11th, 2014, 4:46 pm

Thanks for moving it Rick!

Rainman-believe it or not, this is a 5 year old deer. He has shown great potential last since I saw him as a two year old! I am hoping he will add another 50 inches or so, very possible down here given the nice amount of rain we have been getting. We are too hilly to row crop here, I swear the state flower is the rock! So, no soybeans or corn, they have to grow on good grass, forbs, etc. Oh yeah, and my fruit trees! I supplemental feed a bit, more in dry years, and keep a Trophy Rock mineral block out.

Raymond-Yes, I have neighbors that poach, so I do in fact have to template their moves on top of any strategy I have for keeping deer near or on the property!

raymond
Major General
Major General

Unread post by raymond » July 11th, 2014, 6:39 pm

If you shoot it now, that makes you too a poacher. It's a self referencing statement, kind of like "I used to be indecisive, but now I'm not so sure".
Raymond

"On the day when crime puts on the apparel of innocence, through a curious reversal peculiar to our age, it is innocence that is called on to justify itself." Albert Camus

retiredpara
Master Sergeant
Master Sergeant

Unread post by retiredpara » July 11th, 2014, 6:56 pm

LOL! I take pride in making humane, ethical shots and quick kills, all within the limits of a particular season. I love those animals tremendously. Watching them, learning about them, and learning from them, especially during deer season!

raymond
Major General
Major General

Unread post by raymond » July 11th, 2014, 8:11 pm

Around here, they are like rats with horns. One that has been feeding all year on soy beans can get very large and do a lot of damage to a vehicle in a collision. A common mod around here with vehicles is to wire the headlights such that the dims stay on with the brights. Also wire the fog lights so that they stay on with the brights. This mod is known as the "Bambi mod". Makes spotting them at night much easier.

BTW, I was looking at your location. I'm going to be down in Kimberling City in August with my boat. 8) :D
Raymond

42GPW
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major

Unread post by 42GPW » July 11th, 2014, 11:23 pm

Retiredpara,
We live on about 1000 acres. And dear are dime a dozen. Its a natural habitat here. Gobblers were noisy today. Hope you can come by soon. Dont you live in stone county?

Matt R
My Mutt doesnt leak...Its just marking its territory.
45 MB
44 MBT
67 M151a1
67 M416
Batt Boy July-Dec 89(5 mo of Hell!)
US Army-82nd Airborne 89-95
ARNG 95-00 40th,45th Inf
US Army-101st Airborne 00-06
Airborne Inf. Testing Americas cold weather gear since 1989

retiredpara
Master Sergeant
Master Sergeant

Unread post by retiredpara » July 12th, 2014, 1:13 am

Raymond, Keep me posted. Love to come say hello.

GPW-I am in Christian County, Chadwick is real close to Taney County though. I just put SW MO, as no one has heard of Chadwick!