Mid-Ohio MV Rally and Swap Meet?

This is the place to let us know about your upcoming event, rally, parade, swap meet, etc.

Moderators: rickf, raymond, Mr. Recovery

Are You Attending the Mid-Ohio MV Show and Swap Meet?

Poll ended at July 27th, 2008, 8:55 pm

Yes, I will be attending with my M151.
23%
Yes I will be attending, but not with my M151
38%
Sorry, can't make it this year.
38%

Total votes: 13

Rainman
Brigadier General
Brigadier General

Re: Mid-Ohio MV Rally and Swap Meet?

Unread post by Rainman » July 28th, 2008, 10:09 pm

Hold on Jim, were tired and weary after all that convoy'n and pizza eatin, but I'll try to remedy that right now. It was a super "First Annual" event. Lots for everyone to look at, to include many civilian Willy's, half a dozen M151's, TX's favorite the Ferret, and many deuce's and others in attendance. I didn't take any pictures of any of the others, just M151's and the Ferret, but the G838 was well represented, and may have had more members there than any other group or club. Okay, here's a few of the equipment...

Here is Steve's (LtSim) M151 in the foreground, and the John Hess's A1 sitting side by side, and a few of each close up...

ImageImageImageImage

I'll post these in a few consecutive posts, as I'm getting fouled up in the rows of text and the pictures.

Rainman
M151 World Land Speed Record Holder

Rainman
Brigadier General
Brigadier General

Unread post by Rainman » July 28th, 2008, 10:13 pm

Next is a cyber G838.org deal becoming a reality...
Curtis and TX swapping Bob Croce desk for tank, even up!! Looks like TX is doing most of the work here.

ImageImage

Prepared for the Friday night pizza convoy Rainman's jeep, Bob C, and Curtis with TX. Since I was in the middle during the convoy, here's one behind me and in front of me...
ImageImageImage

Rainman
Last edited by Rainman on July 28th, 2008, 11:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Rainman
Brigadier General
Brigadier General

Unread post by Rainman » July 28th, 2008, 10:20 pm

Now for a few familiar names, and not so familiar faces...

Mr and Ms ohiomutt, and who's that in the background? Why it's that halftracknut HTN!

Next up is ohiomutt, cstaup, and Rainman...

Another row of 4, Bob C, TX, Rainman,and John Hess's M151's...

Rainman
Brigadier General
Brigadier General

Unread post by Rainman » July 29th, 2008, 12:34 am

As for the Mid-Ohio experience, it was a great show. Lots of parts for sale, thanks to Tom Woboldt from the Buckeye Military Vehicle Collectors. TBanks was there with lots of radio equipment, some of which came home with me (thanks Tony), and Vinnie, ohiomutt came to the show looking like something straight out of the Beverly Hillbillies. Ohiomutt had people and parts packed into a truck and trailer like you wouldn't believe. I was lucky enough to score some super tires, pintle hitch, and many misc parts from good ole ohiomutt. He always asks a fair price for his parts, and it's appreciated by all.

Many thanks to Tom Woboldt & Brian Wolf, who in appreciation of the G838'ers gave us a private parking area right up front for our M151's. As previously mentioned, we were the largest single club represented this yearand the most represented vehicle too! I'd also like to salute Ian for the convoy support with his 1960 British Ferret. He brought up the rear with his revolving yellow light like a professional soldier for both convoys.

This first annual Mid-Ohio event was dominated by the M151's, as it should have been. K8icu and BadSaturn3 were also in attendance. Chris staup with his good looking M416 on display. Bob Croce played the part of the local gracious host with appetizers for all on Friday and donuts the next morning. All in all, a tremendous success for everyone. The dealers I spoke to were happy with sales and the showing, so next year will be better without a doubt. Some dealers not attending the Hallsville show made it here, so this will be the big Ohio event for 2009. More out of state M151's will keep this event focused on our little corner of the world, so keep it open for your G838 2009 calendar. Lets check into the cabins available at the campground for next year. Less than 300 meters from the event, thought Days Inn is a few short miles away and not too far from PJ's Pizza.

As for me, the A2 ran like a top with only a hiccup or 2 along the way. I took my top with me, and needed it on the way home due to a major rain/hail storm that caught up with me 30 miles from home base. I was driving along at 50 MPH, windshield down for almost a hundred miles, when the rain started. While trying to protect my neck and face from the beating I was taking, I escaped the highway and found shelter under a BP awning to wait out the storm. After 30 minutes of horizontal rain and hail, I unloaded all those valuable new parts, and dug out my top. By the time it was on and buckled down, the storm was merely a drizzel, but it kept me dry those last few miles. :D

Rainman 8)

PS; I did get an G503 teeshirt that I had nasty plans for, but gave it to TX for her collection. TX and Curtis were a hoot the entire show!

TrueXena
Master Sergeant
Master Sergeant

Unread post by TrueXena » July 29th, 2008, 12:39 am

I'm pretty sure I took a picture of all the vehicles I could get close enough to, including the civilian willie's. To start it off, here are a couple of the M151 pics.

Click on the pic to get larger view.
Image Image
Later dayz,
TrueXena
1966 M151A1 - Daily Driver
1964 M151A1 - Restoring
1977 M151A2 - Restoring
1978 M416
1952 M37 - Restoring

toptiger
Colonel
Colonel

Unread post by toptiger » July 29th, 2008, 6:23 am

rainman, thanks for the special posting covering the event. Made me fell like i was sort of there.
Author M-151 MUTT, The Vietnam Jeep
Paper edition http://www.blurb.com/books/1646321
IOS ebook iBookstore: http://itunes.apple.com/us/book/id598605516
2 M151A2s, M416 trailer, M274A5 Mule,
Former Army Aviator, Bien Hoa, VN 1968-69
Mustang Gunship Platoon Commander
68th Assault Helicopter Company 'Top Tigers'
Central Florida and France

halftracknut
Brigadier General
Brigadier General

Unread post by halftracknut » July 29th, 2008, 11:35 am

I can't wait for Hallsville! I hope the weather is as nice then as it was last saturday...by the way rainmans A-2 looked super even covered with tires and spare parts..I think he was looking forward to a flat tire :lol: .....HTN....
slowest mutt east of the missippi..

k8icu
1st Sergeant
1st Sergeant

Unread post by k8icu » July 29th, 2008, 10:24 pm

As said a good time was had by all! BadSaturn3 is my soon to be son-in-law so it's nice to have a "family" member to go to shows with. I look forward to the event growing. My former 151 looks good in the pics...man I did a good job cammoing it...:)

It was a pleasure to meet other board members as well as renew old friendships. Cabins and Pizza sounds like a plan for next year!
There is one nut on a M151 that is very difficult to remove.....

Bob Croce
Sergeant
Sergeant

Unread post by Bob Croce » July 29th, 2008, 10:41 pm

FYI, the M60 on LtSims 151 is an airsoft m60. Pretty amazing detail.
Bob Croce
1967 M-151A1
M-416 Trailer

Sgt. HHD, 2nd Bn, 11th SFGA (ABN)
1984- 1990

TrueXena
Master Sergeant
Master Sergeant

Unread post by TrueXena » July 30th, 2008, 12:55 am

Some pictures....

Click on picture for larger view
Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image ImageImage
Later dayz,
TrueXena
1964 M151A1 - Restoring
1977 M151A2 - Restoring
1978 M416
1952 M37 - Restoring

toptiger
Colonel
Colonel

Unread post by toptiger » July 30th, 2008, 6:35 am

thanks TX for the pics, but what is that Jeep just before the ferret pics?
Author M-151 MUTT, The Vietnam Jeep
Paper edition http://www.blurb.com/books/1646321
IOS ebook iBookstore: http://itunes.apple.com/us/book/id598605516
2 M151A2s, M416 trailer, M274A5 Mule,
Former Army Aviator, Bien Hoa, VN 1968-69
Mustang Gunship Platoon Commander
68th Assault Helicopter Company 'Top Tigers'
Central Florida and France

TrueXena
Master Sergeant
Master Sergeant

Unread post by TrueXena » July 30th, 2008, 10:51 am

It's just that, a Jeep. (had the logo on front and everything) There wasn't much information on it, and even after talking to the owners I still didn't understand what it was or what it was used for.

What I do know, it's diesel, and I'm pretty sure it's just come out. With that information, I'm thinking it's Jeep's way of trying to join the Military again. The J8 might be the name of this vehicle.

And now some more pics...

Click on the picture to get larger view
Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image ImageImage
Later dayz,
TrueXena
1964 M151A1 - Restoring
1977 M151A2 - Restoring
1978 M416
1952 M37 - Restoring

BadSaturn3
Private First Class
Private First Class

Unread post by BadSaturn3 » July 30th, 2008, 12:08 pm

I had a Conversation with the guy that owns that jeep and I guess it was a Expermential that was used by the Special Forces in foreign countrys to try to not look so Military. It has infared sensor and the whole nine yard I guess a buddy of his worked for a company that designed stuff for it and that was the test vehicle. Don't beat me up if I am off on some of this Info this is coming from memory when I talked to him a Findley this year.

Rainman
Brigadier General
Brigadier General

Unread post by Rainman » July 30th, 2008, 12:15 pm

Hey TX,

You got lot's of nice pictures of the other vehicles, nice work. Did you say you got some of the civilian jeeps there too? I wish I had taken a picture of ohiomutts big new 4dr crew cab pickup truck that hauled in his crew of assistants and his parts trailer. My hillbilly comment in no way was meant to be a negative slur. :oops: All those parts required lots of hard work and took 4 adults over an hour to unload and another hour to load up again, and there was NO room for a rocking chair on that trailer. :D

Little Kesslyn was adorable, and after loading everything up, was sound asleep before they left the grounds. I did hear a rumor that the pink jeep in a previous picture was built for and used in the "Fantasy Island" TV show. Thanks again ohiomutt for all the effort you put into the rally. Sure hope you make it to Hallsville too.

Rainman

rickf
General
General

Unread post by rickf » July 30th, 2008, 12:28 pm

De Plane boss, De plane!
Damn! Just popped into my head! Some of you may be to young to remember Fantasy Island. :roll:
Rick
1964 M151A1
1984 M1008
1967 M416
04/1952 M100
12/1952 M100- Departed
AN/TSQ-114A Trailblazer- Gone