SEPT 19 2015 MVPA Bankhead Highway Cross-Country Convoy

This is the place to let us know about your upcoming event, rally, parade, swap meet, etc.

Moderators: rickf, raymond, Mr. Recovery

diamondjim
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

SEPT 19 2015 MVPA Bankhead Highway Cross-Country Convoy

Unread post by diamondjim » March 13th, 2014, 7:54 pm

To all fellow Cross-Country Convoy participants,

As we have said before ... are YOU ready for another Convoy? If you are, read on!

The MVPA Cross-Country Convoys team developed and maintains a “rolling 10 year” Cross-Country Convoys plan – meaning we have plans for such Cross-Country Convoys for the next 10 years. When we started this activity in 2009, we looked out through 2019. As time has passed and with the successes of TMC’09 and AC’12, we now have Cross-Country Convoys planned out through 2023! Couple this with an increasing number of MVPA members with Convoy experience; we see more members and MVPA Affiliates developing and running short-distance Convoys – 1 of which is highlighted in this note to you.

Great stuff!

To begin with, fellow MVPA member, Terry Johns, developed and conducted a great MV Convoy in SD last summer – the 2013 Black Hills Convoy. This fall, Terry is presenting the 2014 “Show me” Convoy. Please see the attached document describing it.

At our AC’12 “Convoy Success Final Mess”, we spoke of the ‘next’ Convoy – and you asked me to give all of us who went on both the TMC’09 and AC’12 Convoys a little advance notice.

Well …

Introducing the 2015 MVPA Bankhead Highway Cross-Country Convoy. This Cross-Country Convoy - the BH'15 Convoy - retraces the second US Army Transcontinental Motor Convoy, conducted in 1920 under the Command of Col. John F. Franklin.

In early 1920 the US Army Motor Transport Corps requested the Army to conduct a second Transcontinental Motor Convoy. The objective of the 1920 Transcontinental Motor Convoy was to further study the ability of the vehicles used by the US Army at the time to travel across the country and deal with the varying terrain along the way. As with the 1919 Transcontinental Motor Convoy, this second Convoy would be used as a recruiting tool by the Army. Finally, this Convoy would also help push for good roads across America. The Sponsor of this highway, Senator John Hollis Bankhead of Alabama developed and promoted the consolidation of the many roads into a route that started at the same location in Washington, DC as the 1919 Transcontinental Motor Convoy (at the Ellipse) and ended in San Diego, CA. The Army approved this second Transcontinental Motor Convoy, assigning Col. Franklin to lead this Convoy of some 57 military vehicles. These vehicles included Dodge touring cars, GMC ambulances, a crawler tractor, Liberty trucks, 1½ ton cargo trucks from several manufacturers, kitchen and ordnance trailers, Harley motorcycles and of course … a Militor!

Additionally, you may already be aware that in 2010, both the Congress and Senate unanimously voted in favor of establishing a national “Spirit of ’45 Day” to preserve and honor the legacy of the men and women of the World War II generation so that their example of national unity, shared sacrifice and service to community will continue to inspire future generations of Americans. The MVPA in general and the BH’15 Core Team is exploring ways to integrate into this national effort to celebrate the 70th anniversary of the end of WWII – in August 2015. More to come on this subject.

This 29 day / 3,300 mile Convoy is planned to leave from the Ellipse in DC (same as we did with TMC’09) on Saturday, 19 September’15 and travel through the southern States, ending up in San Diego, CA on 17 October’15.

FIRST GEAR is 19 September’15 @ 0700 hrs, somewhere a little south of Washington, DC.

You will likely see a similar looking article in the next SL issue introducing the BH’15 Convoy. You will notice some small differences in the content – because we’ve made a couple of changes between the time I sent the article to SL and now. What you read here is the most up to date. I am sure that there will be a few more changes before first gear.

Some key points for BH’15 are included in the attached document. Some items will seem like big changes from TMC’09 – but we (the current Convoy planning team – all of whom have both TMC’09 & AC’12 experience) believe that they are sensible improvements.

So, I’ll finish this note as I started it … are YOU ready for another Convoy? There’s only about 500 or so days until “First Gear” for BH’15 (no Lamar, we can’t leave tomorrow. J).

For those coming to the Convention in Louisville this summer, Muriel, the BH’15 team and I, as well as Terry Johns all look forward to seeing you and answering your questions about these Convoys.

Regards,

Terry A. Shelswell, P.Eng., MVPA # 13957L

MVPA Convoy Projects Leader

Military Vehicle Preservation Association (MVPA)

www.mvpa.org

contact me at:

INERGY Automotive Systems

2710 Bellingham, Suite 400

Troy, MI 48083

Phone (main): +1-248-743-5700

Phone (office): +1-248-743-5703

Fax: +1-248-526-1466

Cell / Mobile: +1-586-212-9523

Email: terry.shelswell@inergyautomotive.com

diamondjim
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

Re: SEPT 19 2015 MVPA Bankhead Highway Cross-Country Convoy

Unread post by diamondjim » March 13th, 2014, 7:58 pm

PS,don't wait till the last minute,i am willing to bet this books up before the end of the year,i am taking a 1955 M170 and my m151a2 (m825) tow jeep that everyone on this web site helped me put together,see you on the road,diamond jim tailgunner Lincoln hwy 09 convoy/alcan convoy 12

diamondjim
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

Unread post by diamondjim » July 18th, 2015, 8:18 pm

2 months to go,I am taking my m151a2 m825 tow missile carrier jeep from the 2009 Lincoln highway convoy and a semi restored m170,yes "rick f" helped me with both jeeps before I stuck a rag in the gas tank to call it quits,hope to see you on the road,jim dImageImage

rickf
General
General

Unread post by rickf » July 18th, 2015, 8:34 pm

Purrs like a kitten! Leaks like a Jeep. Got to work on that part yet.
1964 M151A1
1984 M1008
1967 M416
04/1952 M100
12/1952 M100- Departed
AN/TSQ-114A Trailblazer- Gone