a place to discuss anything of interest to owners of M151 jeeps

Moderators: rickf, raymond, Mr. Recovery

agwrangler
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

Vehicle number.....

Unread post by agwrangler » April 25th, 2017, 11:00 am

Ok guys. Major issue i need help with.

I have an M151A2 with absolutely ZERO of the data plates. I know where to look. I know all the little hidden spots. There are NO data plates showing me the vehicles number. What i DO have is the data plate on the side of the engine. I am needing to get it titled, and am in the process of the paperwork now. Can that serial number off of the engine tell me anything at all????

Serial number:5003963

Any help is appreciated.

Fil Bonica
Brigadier General
Brigadier General

Re: Vehicle number.....

Unread post by Fil Bonica » April 25th, 2017, 11:21 am

Not really!
Engines were changed like tires.
Who knows where it came from?

Fil Bonica
K1ABW

Surveyor
Terminal

Unread post by Surveyor » April 25th, 2017, 12:47 pm

If I remember correctly you are in Texas. M3a1 recently had his titled there starting out with just a bill of sale but he did have plates. I'm sure he'll chime in and offer some advice.
1960 M151 Run #1
"There is one nut on a M151 that is very difficult to remove....." - K8icu
"She ain't a Cadillac and she ain't a Rolls, But there ain't nothin' wrong with the radio" - Aaron Tippin

m3a1
Lt. General
Lt. General

Unread post by m3a1 » April 27th, 2017, 8:08 pm

Hey fellas. Sorry for the delay in responding. I've been overseas. (didn't see a darned thing MV-wise, btw...totally disappointing)

As for my particular situation, I had the benefit of a lot of help from Muttguru and something to go on. There is a process for getting over this hump and in your case it sounds as if you'll eventually be getting a Texas Reassigned Number if all goes well. You'll need a law enforcement officer to examine your vehicle and complete a document attesting to the legitimacy of the vehicle.

So, get used to the idea that you are going to be jumping through some hoops. You are going to need to get the Texas Department of Public Safety's form VTR-68-A (68A for short) and there is plenty of information as to the ins and outs of that process online.

This is the form. http://extlists.txdmv.gov/pipermail/vtr ... chment.pdf

In my former professional life, I used to do these forms for people. The investigative process and the form needs to be completed by DPS or other law enforcement. The completed and signed-off document is their statement as to the legitimacy of the vehicle and as I said, it IS going to require a physical examination of the vehicle. The officer's primary concerns are going to be that the vehicle isn't stolen, or assembled from stolen parts so, if you have a legit vehicle (and we all know how often we come to find these former military vehicles, with their identity lost to the sands of time...) don't be afraid to tell them precisely how you came to have it. If you pussy-foot around the truth you'll quickly find them raising their eyebrows and that'll be the end of that.

In your situation, they are almost certainly going to be wanting to get in touch with the former owner whether he had a title or not and whether he gave you a bill of sale or not. Obviously, if a string of former owners can be established that will help a great deal....so it is important that you have that information (and anything else that points towards the legitimacy of the vehicle) ready from the giddy-up.

Be forewarned that this can be a somewhat time-consuming process because the officers have other duties but, in the end, it is doable provided the law enforcement officer can become satisfied that it is legit.

He or she will be most concerned if evidence is revealed that there has been an obvious effort to obliterate possible identifiers for the vehicle. That does not necessarily include lost VIN plates, particularly since the M-series doesn't come with permanently affixed VIN plates!

Now, if all of this makes you somewhat nervous, there is really no need to be, after all, you are the guy who is going to them! The officers are there to help you achieve your goals and likely as not, someone in their group has been over these muddy waters before. It is far easier and more desirable for them to clean up these messes as they come along and help give worthy vehicles some new credentials.

Hope everything works out for you.

Cheers,
TJ

agwrangler
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

Unread post by agwrangler » April 27th, 2017, 10:55 pm

Well, I took the MUTT to the Galveston County Auto Theft task force and they inspected it and gave me the paperwork, now I have to haul it into Houston and get it inspected again by some homie from the state. O e steo down, who knows how many more to go!

Thanks for all of the input, TJ.

m3a1
Lt. General
Lt. General

Unread post by m3a1 » April 27th, 2017, 11:47 pm

I'll be in Galveston over the weekend and beginning of the week and could make a little time for you if you need anything further.

If I may ask, what was the result of the first inspection?

TJ

agwrangler
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

Unread post by agwrangler » April 28th, 2017, 10:26 pm

TJ, I will be around, do you still have my number?

As far as the inspection, it was actually kind of funny. I told them there were no date plates, and they went out to look. by the time i got out there they had found the data plate and written up the number. All good to go..... if i was trying to title my heater hahahaha. I informed them that I didnt want to register my heater, and they nodded in agreement.
All is well, they decided it wasnt stolen and wrote the paperwork for me to take to Houston.

m3a1
Lt. General
Lt. General

Unread post by m3a1 » April 29th, 2017, 10:04 am

Outstanding! Very glad this worked out for you.....and I'm guessing they ended up using the body tag number (and what they decided to use as a reference is really of no consequence at this point in the vehicle's life) but hey, if they're happy...you're happy, and we're happy to share your success with you. Excellent outcome. You'll soon have a title and your vehicle will be all the more valuable for it.

As I said, law enforcement really does want to help owners get legitimate vehicles a solid, new identity. Every time they do, it's one less vehicle they have to worry about.

I think I've misplaced your contact info so if you'd care to it PM me, I'll give you a ring if the wife allows me the time and I'm pretty sure she will. She has some serious beach-sitting to do which will leave me twiddling my thumbs as I'm not much into that sort of thing and we've been married long enough her the expectations that I'm going to park my behind in the sand and do nothing for hours has dwindled considerably. :lol: I suppose I could draw schematics of the 151 in the sand for hours :roll: but I think she'd find that annoying.

If I'd had my wits about me I would have left my MUTT together and I could have trailered it down and enjoyed it around town. Ah, well....I'll tear into that rear end after I return from the coast.

Send me your info!