a place to discuss anything of interest to owners of M151 jeeps

Moderators: rickf, raymond, Mr. Recovery

dr. trinkmann
Sergeant
Sergeant

Tour of duty

Unread post by dr. trinkmann » November 10th, 2016, 11:12 am

Hey guys,
I'm about watching that old TV-series 'Tour of Duty' and I'm amused by every single and typical Vietnam-era-cliche that is served with every episode.

But one thing I am really wondering about:
In the first season they nearly exclusively used M151A2's, but in the 2nd season there are only - the by far older - M38 Jeeps in service?? :roll:
Curious...how could that be? Film business of course!
The first time I watched this series some years ago (when I still hadn't my own A2) I didn't recognize that... :oops:

Greets to You
dr.t.

Bart1015
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

Re: Tour of duty

Unread post by Bart1015 » November 10th, 2016, 10:28 pm

Thats a great series. I believe they only ran it for a few seasons. My father loved the show and he felt it was a good hollywood portrayal of the time period.

OK, I got tell you a story..

In the late 1980s, I was about 13 years old, and we went on a family vacation in Hawaii. When we were there, my dad recognized an old friend in the area who worked in the film industry. His friend told us about a new show about Vietnam. After a very long conversation about Vietnam and there shared history, His friend took us on tour where it was being filmed at the time. Unfortunately, we were there on a weekend and did not see any of the movie action. From what I can remember it was inside the mouth of a volcano. Apparently, the forested area was a dead ringer for the the series.

My dad seemed to always know someone from "over there" at any event we went to.

Brett
Pray for our Wolf Hunters.