I guess I'm a gadget guy

a place to discuss anything of interest to owners of M151 jeeps

Moderators: rickf, raymond, Mr. Recovery

m3a1
Lt. General
Lt. General

I guess I'm a gadget guy

Unread post by m3a1 » November 21st, 2016, 9:46 pm

Not long ago we were discussing the benefits of having one of those cameras with the tiny, flexible lens that is capable of looking in engine cylinders and other small spaces. Well, I found one in Walmart (and made in China, of course) and very much on sale which made it exceptionally competitively priced. I passed it up the other day and when I got back tonight, they had pulled them from the shelves and put them in the manager's office (for Automotive.) The guy pulled one out for me so here's my early birthday present!

The flexible bit threads into the head for a nice secure fit. Requires four AA batteries.

Horst
Colonel
Colonel

Re: I guess I'm a gadget guy

Unread post by Horst » November 22nd, 2016, 4:40 am

how good is the resolution of that little screen? I would be afraid it is pretty blurry.
Horst

1972 USMC M151A2 w/ROPS (ex Barstow) and M416
1962 M201 and trailer
1966 GTO,1982 E350 Skoolie, 1987 SJ413, 1987 911
Gone: 2xM35A2c, Unimog 404S, Hanomag AL28, DKW Munga

m3a1
Lt. General
Lt. General

Unread post by m3a1 » November 22nd, 2016, 7:01 am

Horst,
I'll report on that when I get a chance to use it but most of the ones I've seen have view screens about this size. If your curiosity is up you can see more about it on Youtube.

I just watched a guy use a similar viewer, with mirror attachment, to diagnose a bent valve in an engine. It could be seen very plainly after having only removed a spark plug and inserting the probe with a mirror attachment (a mirror comes with the one I bought). So, using only that example, you might agree that having a device like this would certainly be worth having if one were using it for deciding whether or not to buy a vehicle known to have poor compression.

What I don't know, and what Whistler has made NO claim to on the packaging, is whether or not it is intrinsically safe. Thus, I'm not sure I'd be comfortable sticking this into a fuel cell. Back in the day, we had some mil-spec cameras of this type that we used for highway drug interdiction and those were intrinsically safe, so for us, looking into gas tanks was a no-brainer.

So, for those following this thread here's the lawyer stuff..... I absolutely do not recommend using this particular device in gas tanks.

Horst
Colonel
Colonel

Unread post by Horst » November 22nd, 2016, 7:38 am

yes, please report how you like it. I would not expect too much at that price but never know...
Horst

1972 USMC M151A2 w/ROPS (ex Barstow) and M416
1962 M201 and trailer
1966 GTO,1982 E350 Skoolie, 1987 SJ413, 1987 911
Gone: 2xM35A2c, Unimog 404S, Hanomag AL28, DKW Munga

m3a1
Lt. General
Lt. General

Unread post by m3a1 » November 22nd, 2016, 7:50 am

Will do, Horst. There's no depth of field adjustment on it which is the key limiting factor but that would be getting into the BIG bucks. The sale price was $10 off regular retail. I think I laid out $53 and change for this unit.

raymond
Major General
Major General

Unread post by raymond » November 22nd, 2016, 11:36 am

The price of remote cameras has gone down and the quality gone up such that I don't know anyone in the plumbing or HVAC field who does not have at least 1. A friend of mine who does plumbing has several. The mainenance guy at our company has several.

Raymond
Raymond

"On the day when crime puts on the apparel of innocence, through a curious reversal peculiar to our age, it is innocence that is called on to justify itself." Albert Camus

rickf
General
General

Unread post by rickf » November 22nd, 2016, 11:37 am

And check to be absolutely sure the mirror attachment will stay on the camera head firmly, I have seen then get knocked off inside of the cylinder and they are usually made of aluminum or plastic which makes retrieving them almost impossible. The cheaper ones the camera head a lot of the time is too big to fit in a spark plug hole.
1964 M151A1
1984 M1008
1967 M416
04/1952 M100
12/1952 M100- Departed
AN/TSQ-114A Trailblazer- Gone

Fil Bonica
Brigadier General
Brigadier General

Unread post by Fil Bonica » November 22nd, 2016, 12:06 pm

Have a Milwaukee camera with an 18 flex camera head .
Great for inspecting things. Bought it for a couple of handy man projects in walls .
Used it o look all around a gas tank for rust spots and interior condition..
Although the head was to big to insert in to a spark plug hole its internal light and magnification were good to see inside.

Fil Bonica
K1ABW

m3a1
Lt. General
Lt. General

Unread post by m3a1 » November 22nd, 2016, 4:01 pm

Yeah, I thought about using that mirror and the problems that would be created if it came off. :shock:

As with any tool, it is much more efficient when used wisely.

m3a1
Lt. General
Lt. General

Unread post by m3a1 » November 25th, 2016, 9:23 pm

Today is my birthday which means I got to get into the Whistler. In all, I think this was worth every penny of $50. Yes, there is better stuff out there but dollar for dollar and pound for pound I got my money's worth and then some. Very pleased!

Pros -

Lightweight. Doesn't feel cheap, though.

Monitor housing is appropriate for average sized hands and doesn't feel unwieldy.

Settings are simple - On/Off, light brighter (3x), light dimmer (3x), rotate view.

Flexible camera stalk is stiff and holds its position well. (Doesn't droop)

Attachment point for stalk to monitor housing is of good quality. Threads on smoothly and stalk feels well anchored with the collar screwed down.

Comes with three attachments (mirror, hook and tiny magnet)

Monitor resolution is entirely adequate with proper lighting.

Entire unit fits very nicely in a Cabela's pistol case.

Battery cassette makes loading batteries easy. No special tools required to swap batteries.

Cons -

Depth of field is extremely limited....for close-up work only. (No, you can't be a special operator and look around corners and see into a room with this)

Very little risk of losing the attachments...however, they tend to rotate on the head.

Manufacturer makes no claim as to this tool being intrinsically safe. *For handheld electronics, intrinsic safety is the only realistic method that allows a functional device to be explosion-proof. A device termed intrinsically safe is designed to be incapable of producing heat or spark sufficient to ignite an explosive atmosphere.* So don't go sticking it into gas tanks!

svramselaar
Major
Major

Unread post by svramselaar » November 26th, 2016, 5:00 am

hi

i have one from china it works fine
it has a small 5.5 mm camera
it go trow a spark plug hole and gearbox oil plug hole
on my lap top you can make a movie or a picture to print
for example see below
https://nl.aliexpress.com/item/5-5MM-Le ... 351a4f75dc
there is a lot of them from 1 meter til 30 meter long

george

m3a1
Lt. General
Lt. General

Unread post by m3a1 » November 26th, 2016, 11:56 am

Well, there ya go! George hit it.... a scope that attaches to anything with a USB port. It's amazing the amount of technology that is available to us little guys.

George, does it have a light built into the scope and are there controls designed into the application?

rickf
General
General

Unread post by rickf » November 26th, 2016, 6:30 pm

George, I am ALL TO FAMILIAR with that piece of equipment! Just had an intimate meeting with it the other day!!!!! :roll: :shock: :shock: :shock:
1964 M151A1
1984 M1008
1967 M416
04/1952 M100
12/1952 M100- Departed
AN/TSQ-114A Trailblazer- Gone

svramselaar
Major
Major

Unread post by svramselaar » November 27th, 2016, 7:14 am

hi

Rickf if you go to a medic don't bend over they attack you :wink: :idea:

yes there is led light at it you can see them at the picture`s they can be dim with the switch
there is a hook / magnet 45 degree mirror attachment to it
for this price not a device to bend it at a corner
for one with it take contact with Rickf :D :shock:

george

m3a1
Lt. General
Lt. General

Unread post by m3a1 » November 27th, 2016, 10:45 am

Yeah, Rick! I had an experience like that. Kinda like meeting someone in a dark alley.... if you get my drift. :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: