a place to discuss anything of interest to owners of M151 jeeps

Moderators: rickf, raymond, Mr. Recovery

colkking
Sergeant
Sergeant

Which numbers do I use for the hood?

Unread post by colkking » January 16th, 2017, 2:56 pm

Gentlemen:
I have a question. I am at the point that i want to get the numbers painted on the hood (do not have original hood).
I have a 528 radio installed in the back.
The plate riveted to the frame by the radiator is 2016852
The data plate on the dash has a number of 2D4891.

It is a 1962 M151 MUTT, so I believe that the letters and numbers are both 3" (US ARMY and the number on the second row on the hood).

What number do i put on the hood? Do I put a '-S' after the number for the radio?

Thanks in advance!!
kk

muttguru
Colonel
Colonel

Re: Which numbers do I use for the hood?

Unread post by muttguru » January 16th, 2017, 3:45 pm

colkking wrote:...The data plate on the dash has a number of 2D4891. It is a 1962 M151 MUTT, so I believe that the letters and numbers are both 3" (US ARMY and the number on the second row on the hood).
What number do i put on the hood? Do I put a '-S' after the number for the radio?
Col,
exactly as you guessed above....but it isn't a WWII vehicle so the '-S' isn't appropriate here.
ken
Kind regards....
Ken

Always wanted - Details and pictures of M416 Trailer data plates & M151 data plates & body-tags for my research. Thanks!

Contact address - - muttguru@aol.com

Note for 2023..... Ken..."Less Stress - More Exercise!"

Surveyor
Terminal

Re: Which numbers do I use for the hood?

Unread post by Surveyor » January 16th, 2017, 8:19 pm

colkking wrote:
What number do i put on the hood?
kk
2D4891

I just looked at David Doyle's book with early pictures. The 2B's and 2C's run the numbers and letter without spacing. The next picture after that shows a radio jeep with 2F (space) then 4 digits. Not sure on 2D's yet... may google fu it later tonight.

Found old pic of 2D2120... no space.

Edit... Elasser would probably be a good on to ask about the spacing. I believe he worked on quite a few of them in the early 60s. His early 2D is numbered without the space.
1960 M151 Run #1
"There is one nut on a M151 that is very difficult to remove....." - K8icu
"She ain't a Cadillac and she ain't a Rolls, But there ain't nothin' wrong with the radio" - Aaron Tippin