a place to discuss anything of interest to owners of M151 jeeps

Moderators: rickf, raymond, Mr. Recovery

RAFINDER
Private First Class
Private First Class

Re: The engine of my mutt

Unread post by RAFINDER » May 28th, 2017, 3:51 pm

A question......

How can I adjust the carburetor mixing screw?
What percentage of co2 is correct?
I'm sorry, but I use it to read and write the google translate.

rickf
General
General

Unread post by rickf » May 28th, 2017, 4:54 pm

On an engine this old you don't really go by the "correct" amount of Co2. You set the idle mixture to the best idle or best vacuum if you have a vacuum gauge. The idle mixture adjustment is on the flange where the carburetor mounts to the manifold. On the later A2 models it is usually covered by a plug for emissions reasons. You need to drill a small hole in the plug but be very careful not to go past just through the surface of the plug. Then thread a metal screw into the plug and twist it to one side and the plug will pop out. The screw is in the hole. No need to put the plug back. Adjust the screw in until the engine starts to stumble and then out until it starts to stumble and then back in about halfway between those two spots. If you find you need to run with the choke partially on due to it running to lean then back the idle screw out a half turn at a time and you should find a sweet spot where it runs good and still has a decent idle.
1964 M151A1
1984 M1008
1967 M416
04/1952 M100
12/1952 M100- Departed
AN/TSQ-114A Trailblazer- Gone

alfa3
Sergeant First Class
Sergeant First Class

Unread post by alfa3 » June 6th, 2017, 10:28 am

I bought an newcarb from mutt perini , Italy , I noticedit doesn't have a screw to regulate like my old one has , I use to have black smoke out of the exaust I because couldn't regulate , now I still have problems with the new one , no more black smoke but when I drive it hasn't enough power to drive propperly it stutters constantly , question ,why do I not have the screw like the old one andwhat can I do to make my mutt to run smooth? Iread that you have to get the plastic out and put a screw instead , if I understood correctly ?
FORD MUTT : LOVE IT OR SELL IT !!!

rickf
General
General

Unread post by rickf » June 6th, 2017, 11:03 am

There is a metal plug in the hole covering the adjustment screw. What you are pointing to is NOT and adjustment screw, it is the lock screw for the venturi! The adjustment screw is on the base of the carburetor at the manifold hidden in your picture right behind where the two metal lines cross. I can barely see it in the first picture between the metal lines, it almost looks like the plug is not there. If the plug id there you need to take a small drill and drill JUST THROUGH THE SURFACE of the plug. Do not go any further or you will hit the screw. Now I just had a rebuild job where that mixture screw used an Allen head wrench instead of a very small screwdriver, I had never seen that before but be aware of it if there is no flat screwdriver slot in there. You will want to back that screw out until the engine just starts to miss a little bit and then turn it back in until the miss goes away. This should cure the flat spot you are feeling.

Looking back at the pictures I can see that the adjustment on the carb on the left which I guess is the original is WAY too far out! That would have caused the black smoke. Make sure you have the idle mixture adjusted correctly. Backing the screw out makes it rich, (Black smoke) and turning it in make is lean, ( no power and flat spot).
1964 M151A1
1984 M1008
1967 M416
04/1952 M100
12/1952 M100- Departed

alfa3
Sergeant First Class
Sergeant First Class

Unread post by alfa3 » June 6th, 2017, 11:13 am

So if I understand correctly there is only one screw needed the adjust the carb?

rickf
General
General

Unread post by rickf » June 6th, 2017, 11:41 am

The only adjustment you have is the idle mixture adjustment. You do have idle speed adjustment also. The idle mixture will also affect the higher speed and especially the mid range transition circuits.
1964 M151A1
1984 M1008
1967 M416
04/1952 M100
12/1952 M100- Departed

alfa3
Sergeant First Class
Sergeant First Class

Unread post by alfa3 » June 6th, 2017, 12:13 pm

idle speed adjustment where is thatto be done ? is there no video somewhere on the adjusting , as a non mecanic and non english speaking person it is not Always easy to understand all the english words

rickf
General
General

Unread post by rickf » June 6th, 2017, 1:05 pm

In the second picture of your new carburetor the screw to the right of the lines is the idle speed adjustment and the idle mixture adjustment is on the flange hidden behind the lines in the picture. I am going to try to find Georges info and you can PM him for help, he is from Holland and should be able to better explain in your native language.

Here you go, PM George and he will be able to help you.

http://www.g838.org/memberlist.php?mode ... ofile&u=82
1964 M151A1
1984 M1008
1967 M416
04/1952 M100
12/1952 M100- Departed

alfa3
Sergeant First Class
Sergeant First Class

Unread post by alfa3 » June 6th, 2017, 1:50 pm

much apreciated , many thanks.

on-to-berlin
Sergeant First Class
Sergeant First Class

Unread post by on-to-berlin » June 8th, 2017, 2:02 am

Alfa3, I am also a non mechanic and a non english speaking person. That is the reason why the Mutt is so great! You find all the manuals with pictures that explain everything and it is really simple.
I had the same problem with my carb and also had no clue until I started to play with it and made myself familiar with all the parts of the carb and how they funtion.
To start with there is only one screw that is of interest for you. The idler screw.
The previous writers explained it all very well.
So take your time. Take a sunny day and start playing with wthe screw and take it for short test rides.
Good Luck!
1939 Harley Davidson U
1944 Harley Davidson WLA
1944 Willys MB
1969 Ford Mutt A1
1973 AM General Mutt A2

alfa3
Sergeant First Class
Sergeant First Class

Unread post by alfa3 » June 8th, 2017, 3:27 pm

Will take a look at it tommorow ,thank you