New owner of a M151A1. Need help w/ ID and year

a place to discuss anything of interest to owners of M151 jeeps

Moderators: rickf, raymond, Mr. Recovery

Matthew10_28
civilian

New owner of a M151A1. Need help w/ ID and year

Unread post by Matthew10_28 » June 27th, 2017, 9:17 pm

I'm new to the forums and am amazed at the resources of information here. I recently bought a M151A1 from a friend. I've done lots of searching on these forums and elsewhere and the only ID it has on it that I could find other than on the engine is what I've learned to be a BUDD tag on the firewall below the hood line. It looks like a hand made tag compared with what I've seen here and is marked "SER-57643". The ultimate goal here is to get Missouri plates on it so I can drive it on the street. The previous owners (at least 2 back) had no title as it was used exclusively on private lands. I guess I need make and year before I magically get a title somehow.

EDIT to add more pictures to gallery
https://www.amazon.com/photos/share/yp6 ... qexH9fOaDr
Last edited by Matthew10_28 on June 28th, 2017, 6:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Hambone
Brigadier General
Brigadier General

Re: New owner of a M151A1. Need help w/ ID and year

Unread post by Hambone » June 27th, 2017, 10:38 pm

Welcome to the forum, Matt, the tag is if homemade, the original budd tag was held on by spot welds(I think), that tag would tell me that the jeep could have been registered sometime in the past, post some picks of your jeep, we may be able to tell you more about it. Hambone

muttguru
Colonel
Colonel

Unread post by muttguru » June 28th, 2017, 5:42 pm

Matthew......for us to help date your vehicle we need either the details from the original dash-mounted dataplate OR the BUDD tag details OR a valid US Military Registration number (hood number).

It doesn't sound like you have any of these and it looks like the original BUDD tag has been prized off and replaced with a fake tag. I'd guess that a previous owner didn't want this vehicle to ever be identified....you can probably guess why.

My only suggestion is for you to try following the trail of who owned it and what each PO knew about it. Good luck with that task !

Ken
Kind regards....
Ken

Always wanted - Details and pictures of M416 Trailer data plates & M151 data plates & body-tags for my research. Thanks!

Contact address - - muttguru@aol.com

Note for 2023..... Ken..."Less Stress - More Exercise!"

Matthew10_28
civilian

Unread post by Matthew10_28 » June 28th, 2017, 6:37 pm

More photos added to aid in year ID. https://www.amazon.com/photos/share/yp6 ... qexH9fOaDr

The previous owner never cared about plating it or restoring it - only that it worked. He got it from another mutual friend who bought it as a parts car. That project never really got going. In a similar fashion, I don't care to restore it - only that it is mechanically sound. It's used One Shepherd, a school that teaches leadership through military simulation of small unit infantry tactics. (see picture below) I bought it to basically keep it in the community, but would like to title and plate it.

https://www.amazon.com/photos/share/zH0 ... Zc3ufRRMvI

rickf
General
General

Unread post by rickf » June 28th, 2017, 8:20 pm

You know you have no rear control arm bushing on the left side? And the driveshaft is about cut through from rubbing on the drive shaft. You could try sanding the sides of the hood lightly and see if any numbers come up. I has been repainted so it depends on whether it was sanded down the first time. That was probably an assigned serial number and that means it was probably registered some where at some time. The problem is that you do not know if it was registered as a M-151 of a Jeep or a Ford wagon or what so doing a serial number search would be next to impossible. I would say if you really want to try have your motor vehicle agency do a title search for M-151 or M151 with that serial number followed by Jeep with the number. If neither of them work out ask if you can title it with that number. Go through it and gather dates off of things like the horn and wiring harnesses and gauges. Average them out and that will get you in the ball park for a year. The engine is too new.
1964 M151A1
1984 M1008
1967 M416
04/1952 M100
12/1952 M100- Departed
AN/TSQ-114A Trailblazer- Gone

Matthew10_28
civilian

Unread post by Matthew10_28 » June 28th, 2017, 8:35 pm

rickf wrote:You know you have no rear control arm bushing on the left side? And the driveshaft is about cut through from rubbing on the drive shaft.
I know now. :)

And the drives haft is about cut through from rubbing....on the drive shaft? I think you're referring to the tailpipe rubbing on the drive shaft. I spotted that when I took the picture. It looks worse on camera. It's just very reflective right there from it polishing itself making it look deeper. Still not a good thing though.

rickf
General
General

Unread post by rickf » June 28th, 2017, 8:47 pm

Sorry, real tired, long day arguing with doctors.
1964 M151A1
1984 M1008
1967 M416
04/1952 M100
12/1952 M100- Departed
AN/TSQ-114A Trailblazer- Gone