New m151 to me

a place to discuss anything of interest to owners of M151 jeeps

Moderators: rickf, raymond, Mr. Recovery

Lucky03usmc
civilian

New m151 to me

Unread post by Lucky03usmc » August 22nd, 2017, 7:53 am

Good morning
I am new to this so please forgive me if I am off base here. I recently purchased a m151. Not happy with seller as I think the jeep was misrepresented in many ways. However, the tub is in good shape solid. I am having issues with the carb flooding. I have broke it down and cleaned entire carb, pilot jet, float is in great shape, put float back within specs. And still flooding. Any suggestions?

I ordered a rebuild kit. And I am considering buying a new carb. But I think there may be another underlying issue.

Thanks all in advance for advise and suggestions

rickf
General
General

Re: New m151 to me

Unread post by rickf » August 22nd, 2017, 8:24 am

Welcome, sorry to hear about the buying problems. We tend to hear that more than we should. If you could post some pictures it may help with both the misrepresentation issues and also with the running issues. If you can't post the pics let me know and I will pm my email to you and you can send them to me. The carb would be flooding for only a couple reasons, one would be the float level too high, it should be 9/32. Another is if the needle valve is damaged, sometimes they can be damaged by phase separated gas. Another possibility is fuel pressure too high, this is not usually an issue if you are using the stock pump. I do rebuild carbs and I do it for half the price of the other well known builder out there. What I don't do is make it all pretty and shiny. I give you a functional running carburetor, cleaner than what came to me but not looking brand new.

Before going that far I want to make sure of one thing, is it flooding while running? Black smoke and the choke is all the way open? Be aware that the accelerator pump on these is vacuum operated so when you shut the motor off it does squirt a shot of gas which will run out of the mouth of the carb, this is normal and is actually designed to help with starting the next time since pumping the gas pedal does nothing.
1964 M151A1
1984 M1008
1967 M416
04/1952 M100
12/1952 M100- Departed
AN/TSQ-114A Trailblazer- Gone

Lucky03usmc
civilian

Unread post by Lucky03usmc » August 22nd, 2017, 9:24 am

Thank you!

My email is 0369knap@gmail.com

If you send me an email I will send pics later.
Spot on running and dumping fuel. More to follow and thanks!

Fil Bonica
Brigadier General
Brigadier General

Unread post by Fil Bonica » August 22nd, 2017, 10:06 am

A good body on a 151 is a magnitude more important.
Carbs can be fixed or replaced.
Usually -151s need good , clean and pure gasoline.
I would suggest that you clean the tank and lines.
Add new filters.
All this should be done first.
Good luck and keep the group posted.

Fil Bonica
K1ABW

Hambone
Brigadier General
Brigadier General

Unread post by Hambone » August 22nd, 2017, 12:34 pm

A1 or A2? Do you still have the original in-tank electric fuel pump? I had a problem with an aftermarket manual fuel pump making too much pressure a couple years ago.

Lucky03usmc
civilian

Unread post by Lucky03usmc » August 22nd, 2017, 2:50 pm

Thank you for the reply
Before I purchased the previous owner put a new gas tank in it. It appears to be all gi mil spec. However I was wondering if there is to much pressure as well.

The body is in pretty good shape. Very very little rust. The data plate behind passenger seat says that it is an a2. No dash plates. However the engine appears to be much older possibly a a1 timeframe engine?

The gas leakage occurs when the engine is running and will begin to dump out the side of the carb. The original air cleaner assembly is in bad condition. I bought a aftermarket air filter and coupler in order to run the engine, however the fuel dumps right out the side of the air filter. I was worried that the engine may get to much air supply from this but it is still blowing black exhaust and flooding out.

Is there a way to check if the fuel sending unit may be delivering to much pressure?

I am going to put new filters on, however the one on it bow looks very clean. What is the proper size fuel line for the m151?

Thank you all for the tips, advice. I am hoping to get this baby running right again. Can't be that difficult, can it??

muttguru
Colonel
Colonel

Unread post by muttguru » August 22nd, 2017, 4:34 pm

Lucky..... let's see some photos, esp. under the hood pictures. We also need to know what type of fuel pump is installed. Is it a mechanical pump on the side of the block? Is it an aftermarket electrical pump? Is it an in-tank pump? Is there a return fuel line from the carb back to the tank?
These are key questions which will help us advise you.
Ken
Kind regards....
Ken

Always wanted - Details and pictures of M416 Trailer data plates & M151 data plates & body-tags for my research. Thanks!

Contact address - - muttguru@aol.com

Note for 2023..... Ken..."Less Stress - More Exercise!"

Lucky03usmc
civilian

Unread post by Lucky03usmc » August 22nd, 2017, 7:53 pm

How do you post pics on this site?
Is there a special button up top? Not used to this format

rickf
General
General

Unread post by rickf » August 24th, 2017, 8:00 pm

You have to use a photo hosting site. We used to all use Photobucket till they screwed everybody, Now I use Postimage.
1964 M151A1
1984 M1008
1967 M416
04/1952 M100
12/1952 M100- Departed
AN/TSQ-114A Trailblazer- Gone

m3a1
Lt. General
Lt. General

Unread post by m3a1 » August 26th, 2017, 2:43 am

Go to postimg.org and sign up (it's free....for now)

Create a gallery or multiple galleries for your images. You begin this process by giving your gallery a name (click on the gray box and enter the name) and finalize its creation by clicking on "Create a New Gallery" button to the immediate right of the gallery name box. This will help you to stay better organized. In my case, I have one gallery for my MUTT and another for a Jeep.

If you have created multiple galleries, preselect the appropriate one prior to uploading your photos. This helps you immediately send your uploading photos into the appropriate gallery at the time you upload, rather than having everything jumbled into one catch-all gallery requiring much additional work in sorting later on. With your galleries having been created you are ready to upload your photos.

Click on the "UPLOAD" at the top left of the screen.

Then, from your computer, select the photos you want to upload and drag and drop them to the uploading box (middle of the page) and yes, it will accept multiple photos at one time.

A visual representation of the uploading process will appear. I have found that sometimes a photo or two won't upload (even though it showed it uploading) making it necessary to upload it once again, by itself. It's an imperfect world, after all.

With your photos now uploaded to postimg, you are ready to embed them into the text you've created here on the G838 site. Simply click on the "share" icon for a photo which will become visible when you hover your cursor over it (that's it, to the left of the little trashcan icon) -or- simply click on the selected photo which will bring up a box with a variety of URLs for that photo. As for me, I choose to copy the "Direct Link" for that purpose. By the way, that box will have a "close" button at the lower right corner. There is no need to close that box before going to another photo or another function on postimg. You can move on to another photo or function simply by clicking on it and skip the step of closing that box altogether. It will close automatically.

*Note* If you are creating a complex posting where you want to select photos from multiple galleries you've created you need only click on "my images" at the top right of the screen. That will bring up whatever galleries you've created, allowing you to move efficiently between galleries and, as you probably have already guessed, by clicking on a particular gallery you will find thumbnails for all your photos in that gallery.

OK, now let's create a text using images uploaded to postimg because a picture is truly worth a thousand words and your new friends here on the G838 love to look at photos with our morning coffee....especially Rick, who studies these photos intently and doesn't miss a thing. For our purposes let's now assume you've already selected a photo from postimg and have copied its "Direct Link" or other appropriate URL in preparation for pasting it.

Here on the G838 you will find a "Img" button above your text box.

By clicking that "Img" button, the following will come up in your text box with your cursor then located right in the middle, a bit like this but without all the spaces I've added -
[ i m g ] your cursor here [ / i m g ]

And remember, you need to click that "Img" button when and where you want that image to be located relative to your text.

Paste the link or URL of your photos right where your cursor is and, having done that you've successfully embedded a photo into your text. So now it will look something like this -
[ i m g ] your direct link here [ / i m g ]

Once you've concluded writing your text with your images embedded, click on the "Preview" button below the text box. By doing this you will be able to review what you have written and observe where your photos are and see if you have made any mistakes. What you see in the preview box is what we will see. Then scroll down to make your corrections. To review what corrections you have made, simply click on "Preview" button again which will reload your submission, with any changes you've made. When you're satisfied, click on "Submit" and you're done.

Now, let's see your truck!

Cheers,
TJ