Question for the moderators

a place to discuss anything of interest to owners of M151 jeeps

Moderators: rickf, raymond, Mr. Recovery

Haas
Sergeant
Sergeant

Question for the moderators

Unread post by Haas » August 25th, 2017, 10:42 pm

Hello all! I have a question regarding rules on this site. I know this site is specifically designated for the M151 series jeeps, and sharing information and stories on said vehicles. However, I was wondering what the rules are regarding vehicles that are not part of the M151 family. I have personally been enjoying following M3A1's thread on his M38 and enjoy seeing the occasional military truck or jeep that pops up on this forum. I am just wondering where the line is drawn as to what is appropriate for this site and what is not. I'm not looking to cause any trouble for those that post about the non-M151 series vehicles, cuz I personally enjoy seeing them. I have two M38A1s that I work on fairly often, and I am curious whether or not it is appropriate to post about them here. This is a great forum, and I really enjoy reading about everybody's projects and seeing the resolutions to problems people are having with their vehicles and simply learning the history of these vehicles.
1942 Willys MB "slat grille"
1943 Ford GPW
1953 M38A1
1952 M38A1
1951? M38
1st run M151
1953 M37
Ford G8T
2 Ford GTBs

rickf
General
General

Re: Question for the moderators

Unread post by rickf » August 26th, 2017, 9:39 am

That is a good question and it is going to be a tough one to answer. TJ did ask me if I wanted to can the M38 project back when it started since he had no intention of it ballooning as it did. I figured I would move it to the restoration thread since that is a little used area and it could languish there. It was supposed to be his boys project and I did not think it was going to be a full on, every day posting as was his M-151 projects. I always want to encourage kids in any kind of hobby work. I am kind of in a tough spot now since I do also have my own M37 also in the restoration section but you can how far that has gone. This is primarily a M151 site but we like to see other vehicles also. Usually it is pictures which go in the favorite pictures section but as far as builds and restoration I guess I am going to have confer with the site owner and the other mods before I say anything.
1964 M151A1
1984 M1008
1967 M416
04/1952 M100
12/1952 M100- Departed
AN/TSQ-114A Trailblazer- Gone

Haas
Sergeant
Sergeant

Unread post by Haas » August 26th, 2017, 10:00 am

I figured it would not be a simple answer, but I figured I may as well ask :lol: Thanks for the response!
1943 Ford GPW
1953 M38A1
1952 M38A1
1951? M38
1st run M151
1953 M37
Ford G8T
2 Ford GTBs

rickf
General
General

Unread post by rickf » August 26th, 2017, 10:06 am

It was a very good question and one I have expected for quite a while. Others have put their vehicles in the favorite pictures section but I think maybe I am the first to add one to the restoration section. And that was kind of cheating since I have the power to do that. I have posted to the other mods and we will see where it goes.
1964 M151A1
1984 M1008
1967 M416
04/1952 M100
12/1952 M100- Departed

m3a1
Lt. General
Lt. General

Unread post by m3a1 » August 26th, 2017, 1:35 pm

I'd like to say that I am also very much divided as to the appropriate-ness of the thread but it did gain some traction which, initially surprised and then, alarmed me. And perhaps it should be in the Favorites area but if you continue reading this, you may also see why it is currently in the Restorations area.

I've been making the submissions on the M38 thread really for only three reasons -

First, it's about restoration techniques and the decision-making process involved in a project that, when viewed as a whole by someone new to this, appears to be hopeless. After all, many of us acquire vehicles that everyone else has given up on. The very act of rolling up your sleeves and diving into these projects is what makes things happen and when you see one person doing it, you say to yourself, hey, I can do that too. I think the M38 thread is more about that passion to restore to usefulness something that everyone else has considered long dead and very much less about the fact that the project at hand happens to be an M38. If you have been following the thread you know we have not been discussing the technical aspects of the M38 as that has nothing whatever to do with M151s (hence the title in the subject line). By way of example, if you go to a site dedicated to metalworking techniques, but the vehicle they're working on happens to be something other than a M151, do you look elsewhere? No, of course not.

Second, it's about shepherding people who may be new to the hobby and keeping them involved and also keeping myself motivated by being involved at this level. There are new faces joining us every day who may just need the kind of inspiration this site provides. I know I do. I am always looking at the new posts, seeing what everyone else is doing and in posting my progress on any project and seeing the "view" numbers go up, well, that means that people are watching and expecting me to stay with it and, like me, are likely to be disappointed if I do not. Like many of you, I benefit from having an audience. It helps keep everyone motivated.

Third, the quality and value of this site depends upon our steady involvement as members. I certainly agree that our involvement must be kept within the boundaries and rules of the site. That was the agreement when I joined. But, for the time being I'm pretty much done with bringing my MUTT back to usefulness. So, what are any of us to do when we've finished our projects? Are we to become only spectators and occasional consultants? We took a serious hit with the PhotoBucket debacle and it felt like things pretty much came to a screeching halt for a while. I was concerned that some folks might drift away when that happened because photos really are the best bits of any post. So, as members, I think we have a mandate to get this back up to speed and that is what I was initially trying to do with the thread.

I hope everyone feels similarly about this and sees the value of posts related to restoration techniques and processes, supporting our hobby and keeping others involved.

Cheers,
TJ

Haas
Sergeant
Sergeant

Unread post by Haas » August 26th, 2017, 1:50 pm

TJ, I agree with you. Like I said in my original post, I have really been enjoying your posts. I hope you don't get the feeling I was trying to cause trouble with my post. The biggest reason I was asking is mostly because I was wondering about whether or not it was okay with the moderators if I was to post about the things I do when working on my old M38A1s. I would love to contribute to this site more, but unfortunately my M151 is a basket case and it will be a long long while before I get to working on it. As such, I really don't have much experience with the M151 series vehicles and do not have a lot to contribute. However, I do work on a lot of old jeeps from 1946 through the 80s and that is what I am really familiar with, and I know repair techniques on those can be helpful for somebody else working on an M151. That is the reason I originally posted my question.
1943 Ford GPW
1953 M38A1
1952 M38A1
1951? M38
1st run M151
1953 M37
Ford G8T
2 Ford GTBs

rickf
General
General

Unread post by rickf » August 26th, 2017, 2:40 pm

OK, Lets let this one rest until I get feedback from the others in charge and see what happens from there. I know how these things tend to balloon if you let them run on.
1964 M151A1
1984 M1008
1967 M416
04/1952 M100
12/1952 M100- Departed