a place to discuss anything of interest to owners of M151 jeeps

Moderators: rickf, raymond, Mr. Recovery

Vietnam Mutt
Private First Class
Private First Class

M151 A2 Identification Plate

Unread post by Vietnam Mutt » September 14th, 2017, 11:51 pm

Hi,
I'm new in the forum and I'm an owner of an M151A2 what I bought in Vietnam.
Current I stay in Ho Chi Minh City Vietnam and now I start to work on the MUTT to get it back to original. The Vietnamese guy where I let do the body work make a great job but only that my MUTT look from the outside nice. :D
If you take a closer look I see some spare parts what is not correct and this is the style here. Outside nice but not really original. I know already that it is difficult to find out something about history of MUTT but I have one tag in the middle of the firewall.
It shows me follow:
ORD 11639700 x
BUDD S/N #910
Maybe someone can give me one tip. I guess the Vietnamese guys mix up details between the A1 & A2.
By the way how I can post picture?

Thanks in advance,
Vietnam Mutt
Kind Regards,
Vietnam Mutt

1975 M151A2

Vietnam Mutt
Private First Class
Private First Class

Re: M151 A2 Identification Plate

Unread post by Vietnam Mutt » September 15th, 2017, 12:52 am

Hi,

I have see one more plate in my Mutt.
It's show me follow:
Federal Stock No. 2320-177-9258
Contract No. DAAE 06-08-C-0001

Maybe is installed afterwards on the Mutt I'm not sure but the first registration here in Vietnam was n the year 1975 follow the papers.

Regards,
Vietnam Mutt
Kind Regards,
Vietnam Mutt

1975 M151A2

muttguru
Colonel
Colonel

Unread post by muttguru » September 15th, 2017, 5:11 am

Vietnam Mutt wrote:Hi,
I know already that it is difficult to find out something about history of MUTT but I have one tag in the middle of the firewall.
It shows me follow:
ORD 11639700 x
BUDD S/N #910
Maybe someone can give me one tip. I guess the Vietnamese guys mix up details between the A1 & A2.
By the way how I can post picture? Thanks in advance,
Vietnam Mutt
Hello .....
those details indicate a Ford-built M151A2. But as you know, the Viet mechanics can add many things to the vehicle....they are not always correct.

If you send some photos to me, I will post them on this board for you. My email address is below.
Ken
Kind regards....
Ken

Always wanted - Details and pictures of M416 Trailer data plates & M151 data plates & body-tags for my research. Thanks!

Contact address - - muttguru@aol.com

Note for 2023..... Ken..."Less Stress - More Exercise!"

m3a1
Lt. General
Lt. General

Unread post by m3a1 » September 15th, 2017, 9:10 am

Vietnam Mutt, Welcome to G838.org! I am not a representative of this site. I am just one of the members but the following should help you.
Kindest Regards,
TJ

The following is a guide to help you post pictures - from a website that will host your pictures for free (third-party hosting, which is absolutely necessary) to the final steps of linking those pictures to this website. This is not meant to be an endorsement for postimg.org. There may be other websites out there that you may prefer.

Go to postimg.org and sign up (it's free....for now)

Create a gallery or multiple galleries for your images. You begin this process by giving your gallery a name (click on the gray box and enter the name) and finalize its creation by clicking on "Create a New Gallery" button to the immediate right of the gallery name box. This will help you to stay better organized. In my case, I have one gallery for my MUTT and another for a Jeep and yet another for miscellaneous photos.

If you have created multiple galleries, preselect the appropriate gallery prior to uploading your photos. This helps you immediately send your uploading photos into the appropriate gallery at the time you upload, rather than having everything in one gallery which would require much additional work in sorting later on. After you have created your galleries you are ready to upload your photos.

Click on the "UPLOAD" at the top left of the screen. A new screen will open presenting you with options to resize your image. Here, I would suggest selecting 640x480. Below that you can assign an expiration date for the link (do nothing here if you want the photo to remain available for all to see). Below that is the "Choose Images" box.

From your computer, select the photos you want to upload and drag and drop them to the "Choose Images" uploading box (in the middle of the page) and yes, it will accept multiple photos at one time.
-or- click on that box and select files to upload in much the same way as you probably add photos to your email.

A visual representation of the uploading process will appear. Sometimes a photo or two won't upload (even though it showed it uploading) making it necessary to upload it once again, by itself. A failed upload usually shows up with a small notation in red. If this happens, try to upload it again.

With your photos now uploaded to postimg, you are ready to embed them into the text you've created here on the G838 site. Click on the "share" icon for a photo which will become visible when you hover your cursor over it (it's to the left of the little trashcan icon) -or- simply click on the selected photo which will bring up a box with a variety of URLs for that photo. I choose to copy the "Direct Link" for that purpose. By the way, that box will have a "close" button at the lower right corner. There is no need to close that box before going to another photo or another function on postimg. You can move on to another photo or function simply by clicking on it and skip the step of closing that box altogether. It will close automatically.

*Note* If you are creating a complex posting where you want to select photos from multiple galleries you've created you need only click on "my images" at the top right of the screen. That will bring up whatever galleries you've created, allowing you to move efficiently between galleries and, as you probably have already guessed, by clicking on a particular gallery you will find thumbnails for all your photos in that gallery.

Now let's create a text using images uploaded to postimg because a picture is truly worth a thousand words and your new friends here on the G838 love to look at photos with our morning coffee....especially Rick, who studies these photos intently and doesn't miss a thing. For our purposes let us assume you've already selected a photo from postimg and have copied its "Direct Link" (or other appropriate URL) in preparation for pasting it.

Here on the G838 you will find a "Img" button above your text box.

By clicking that "Img" button, the following will come up in your text box with your cursor then located right in the middle. It looks a bit like this but without all the spaces and font color I have added for clarity-
[ i m g ] your cursor here [ / i m g ]

And remember, you need to click that "Img" button when and where you want that image to be located relative to your text.

Paste the link or URL of your photos right where your cursor is and, having done that you've successfully linked a your photo to your text. So, now it will look something like this -
[ i m g ] your direct link here [ / i m g ]

Once you've concluded writing your text with your images embedded, click on the "Preview" button below the text box. You can Preview at any time. By doing this you will be able to review what you have written and observe where your photos are and see if you have made any mistakes. What you see in the preview box is what we will see. Then scroll down below that and you will find your working text box so you can continue to make your corrections or add to what you've written so far. To review what corrections and additional text you have made, simply click on "Preview" button again which will reload your submission, with any changes you've made. When you're satisfied, click on "Submit" and you're done. After a moment your new post will open and if you find that you want to make changes (now or even at a later date) click on the EDIT button at the top right corner of your post. This will allow you (and only you) to make corrections. This is also very useful if you post something for sale because once that item has sold, you can go back and change your original post to indicate it is no longer available.

Now, let's see your truck!

Vietnam Mutt
Private First Class
Private First Class

Unread post by Vietnam Mutt » September 15th, 2017, 8:30 pm

Hi Ken & Tj,

Thanks a lot for your reply and help. Is nice to be a member of this forum to share the dream of the nice Mutt.

@ Ken, I send mail to you with pictures of my Mutt.

I tried to set up to post images here but not work yet.

Kind Regards,
Andreas
Kind Regards,
Vietnam Mutt

1975 M151A2

muttguru
Colonel
Colonel

Unread post by muttguru » September 16th, 2017, 5:41 pm

Hello Andreas......

Here are the pictures you sent.
Here's what I can tell you.

It's an M151A2 built by Ford Motor Company and it is one of the Second Series of Ford A2s.

The BUDD number is not complete. There is (or should be) another digit ...it should read 910x (between 0 and 9).
The dash dataplate is a Vietnamese reproduction plate....not original.

Having said all that....it looks very nice !
Hope this helps....
Kind regards....
Ken

Kind regards....
Ken

Always wanted - Details and pictures of M416 Trailer data plates & M151 data plates & body-tags for my research. Thanks!

Contact address - - muttguru@aol.com

Note for 2023..... Ken..."Less Stress - More Exercise!"

m3a1
Lt. General
Lt. General

Unread post by m3a1 » September 16th, 2017, 5:46 pm

Wow, that thing looks straight as an arrow! VERY nice!

Hambone
Brigadier General
Brigadier General

Unread post by Hambone » September 16th, 2017, 5:52 pm

Welcome aboard VM, nice looking A2.

rickf
General
General

Unread post by rickf » September 16th, 2017, 6:37 pm

Very nice. It is very rare indeed to find one with the BUDD tag still on it. And not only that no head light or grill covers. The only bling I see on it is the stainless cover on the door opening. TJ, I have come to be amazed at the bodywork that is done by the Vietnamese body man. And they do most of it with very rudimentary tools and whatever left over metal is laying around. Amazing workmen, I would love to just go and spend a month watching one of those guys do his thing and learn how it is done the hard way.
1964 M151A1
1984 M1008
1967 M416
04/1952 M100
12/1952 M100- Departed
AN/TSQ-114A Trailblazer- Gone

Vietnam Mutt
Private First Class
Private First Class

Unread post by Vietnam Mutt » September 16th, 2017, 7:46 pm

Hi All,

the body work was done by Rang Dong garage and I think some of you know this garage. If I give him my Mutt I instructed him to bring it back to original us much he can. As I say he make a good job but the electric parts are not 100% Orginal. I try to get spare parts from three different sources and all have no parts or very high prices compared to what I find in the internet.
One shop I find in Thailand called TeeJeeper maybe someone has already expiriance with them because he also sale products over the internet.
Still will work on my Mutt and yesterday I fix the engine and now she is s running well.
Will update some more picture if I make a test drive but now I must work on the breaks. I can't push the pedal down and must make complete system clean on it.

Thanks for your comments and hope your are all fine and come back to normal after the big storm hits you.
Kind Regards,
Vietnam Mutt

1975 M151A2

m3a1
Lt. General
Lt. General

Unread post by m3a1 » September 16th, 2017, 10:03 pm

I've done business with TeeJeeper and everything was very straightforward so I think you will probably also find them easy to do business with.

Yes, brakes! I've replaced master cylinders twice and I strongly recommend removing the entire pedal assembly. It is far easier to replace the master cylinder in this way and it will give you an opportunity to look everything over on the pedal assembly which is an area that is often overlooked, maintenance-wise.

Here's a HUGE HINT - remove the light switch assembly. This will allow you to easily access the bolt that is well hidden and located up close behind the dash panel.

Cheers,
TJ

Vietnam Mutt
Private First Class
Private First Class

Unread post by Vietnam Mutt » September 17th, 2017, 10:08 am

Hi Tj,

Thanks for your comment regarding the TeeJeeper. They just send me quotation for some parts. It's look like prices in Asia rices for the spare parts because on German websites it's some parts much cheaper.

Thanks for the hint regarding the breaks. I take already a look on it and will check the master break cylinder first. Read all TM for it and lets see how I can handle it. :-)
Kind Regards,
Vietnam Mutt

1975 M151A2