Flat tow question

a place to discuss anything of interest to owners of M151 jeeps

Moderators: rickf, raymond, Mr. Recovery

njjeeper
1st Sergeant
1st Sergeant

Flat tow question

Unread post by njjeeper » November 7th, 2017, 10:59 am

So I have a vets day event about 6 miles from the house and am considering flat towing the 718 there(driving it is not an option). I have the military tow bar with the correct feet and pins. The question is the steering. Has anyone flat towed a 151 before? Any experiences you could share? I know some folks say to use a bungie and strap to the seat mount. I cant see how you would make full left or right turns if you did that without the bungie going over center and then locking the wheel in the turned position. Any thoughts would be much appreciated!

TJ

Redlight
Sergeant First Class
Sergeant First Class

Re: Flat tow question

Unread post by Redlight » November 7th, 2017, 11:23 am

HI TJ,
I flat tow my m151 all the time. I take a bungee cord and tie the steering wheel in the straight ahead position. Only during a extremely tight turn does the wheels get locked over then. The wheels track my truck on normal turns like at a stop sign and a 90 degree turn. only on a sharp u turn does it get bound up. I have NDCC tires so the contact patch on the ground is small. I can tell if the bungee cords are to tight as the tow truck steering wheel is not centered so I stop and readjust the cords on the jeep. I tow behind a Toyota Tacoma with a 6cyl. Normally tows are 60 to 100 miles one way. I have towed at 65-70 but i think i lost a speedometer doing that. I now put cruse control on at 55 and go along a bit slower on the limited access roads. My normal cruse speed in the jeep under it's own power is 45.
Have a good time at the event. I will be doing the Veterans day parade in Boston Ma. Weather to be 42 degrees and my jeep only has a top and side curtains, no doors.no heater.
Redlight