China Radiator sold as Goverment Surplus

a place to discuss anything of interest to owners of M151 jeeps

Moderators: rickf, raymond, Mr. Recovery

paracord
Sergeant
Sergeant

China Radiator sold as Goverment Surplus

Unread post by paracord » December 14th, 2017, 3:27 am

Changed the radiator out in my friends A2 with one which was bought from a re known U.S. supplier of parts. Claims new Government surplus. First indication that it wasn't was the cheap cardboard box it was in that I've mention about in a earlier post. Second was no baffle inside, 3rd the top mount was crooked, 4th was stickers on top ,no soldered tags. 5th the cap wouldn't fit properly. Got the NOS cap working on the neck but with some filing on the bottom of it, the little, I guess alignment bumps on the bottom above the rubber seal. Then had to bend slightly the cut outs on the radiator where the tabs of the cap fit into. Radiator shop said they couldn't repair his old one but I'm going to rip the rotten tubes out and solder the tank openings so we have it as a spare. Done this many a time in the field to get one going. For those out in the bush ,cockroaches work real good in sealing a leaking radiator, better than pepper. I'm am not going to say who the dealer is even if you ask, for I'm not going to get a ass chewing from another member again because they are friends of a parts dealer . I answered another members question. I didn't post this to cut the dealer . A radiator is a expensive investment for a lot of us and that kind of money you should get what is advertised. Do your homework.

rickf
General
General

Re: China Radiator sold as Goverment Surplus

Unread post by rickf » December 14th, 2017, 11:18 am

Lately you have done nothing but complain about the Chinese parts and the dealers that sell them! I haven't seen a Chinese radiator yet but I guess they exist. You are going to have to live with the fact that the original parts for these vehicles are gone, They wore out and were not reproduced in this country. The last contracts for a lot of the parts while they were in service were not even from this country though they were much better quality. As far as bad mouthing the dealers, these guys have to make a living too. They can only sell what they can get. They can't just magically pull the NOS parts out of the air if they don't exist now can they? If they did not sell the offshore stuff then you would have no parts at all. Have you ever really seen the packaging for NOS parts? It is far from high quality. You cannot go by the packaging but like I said, the last contracts came out of Taiwan so you have real USGI from offshore, how do you know if they are lying or not?
1964 M151A1
1984 M1008
1967 M416
04/1952 M100
12/1952 M100- Departed
AN/TSQ-114A Trailblazer- Gone

Fil Bonica
Brigadier General
Brigadier General

Unread post by Fil Bonica » December 14th, 2017, 12:33 pm

Brother I feel your pain!
Caveat Emptor

Fil Bonica
K1ABW

paracord
Sergeant
Sergeant

Unread post by paracord » December 14th, 2017, 12:58 pm

I do complain about the China junk. Bought too much of the junk the dealers are claiming U.S. manufacture, Government Surplus. Spent a lot of money sending the junk back too. You don't know it isn't until you get it and see it. I started buying surplus in 1971 form Campbell ,Knox .Leonard Wood and Harrison and I know U.S. packaging. Hauled tons of it and sold tons of it. I don't have a problem with dealers making a living selling surplus but when they claim it is U.S. Manufacture and Government Surplus and sell it to you, then I have a problem with that. I'm just trying to give the members a heads up on what to ask before they buy. I'm sure there are a lot of members that refuse to put it on their vehicles and I'm one of them. My friend called the dealer and they did admit it was made in China.

rickf
General
General

Unread post by rickf » December 14th, 2017, 5:21 pm

The off shore contracts happened in the 80's when we were already out of the M-151 business. One of the big suppliers was NewStar. The parts were made to specification and they were checked to be sure they were quality parts. These companies are quite capable of producing high quality parts. NewStar manufacturers parts for the trucking industry, a LOT of parts! I guarantee that the truckers are NOT using junk parts! That said, once we stopped checking and stopped supplying the parts for the vehicles then the companies went the cheap route on manufacture.
1964 M151A1
1984 M1008
1967 M416
04/1952 M100
12/1952 M100- Departed
AN/TSQ-114A Trailblazer- Gone

agwrangler
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

Unread post by agwrangler » December 20th, 2017, 11:29 am

I got a radiator that wasn't NOS, but was a new production. After doing some research, I found out that they are new production for the Phillipine military for thier M151 fleet over there, and that some of them have trickled into the US. It works freaking great. I had no issues installing it,and have had no problems with it doing its job. The box it came in looked like a new box, so it was obvious it wasn't NOS, but I dont judge by the cover. What is inside was just what was listed on ebay.
Point i am making, is that some stuff that is on ebay says government contract. That doesnt always mean USGI. It could be a contract for any other government out there. But the quality of the parts is USGI quality n my opinion. (though yes, the chinese crap sucks). All I am saying is ask the supplier before you buy. Ask if it is USGI, or chinese, or government contract from another military, etc.
And yes, USGI parts are drying up. It stinks. :/