Who found a Mutt Lately

a place to discuss anything of interest to owners of M151 jeeps

Moderators: rickf, raymond, Mr. Recovery

Mark
Brigadier General
Brigadier General

Re: Who found a Mutt Lately

Unread post by Mark » February 1st, 2018, 10:17 am

the body underside looks SOL, I wonder how the engine runs/get up 'n go the mutt has
mark

1968 m274A5
1960 m151
1981 m151A2
1964 m416
1971 m416

rickf
General
General

Unread post by rickf » February 1st, 2018, 11:04 am

Horst wrote:I understand this is Ford engine but actually not a M151 engine, correct? Prototype done by Ford,
Kind of, sort of. it appears to be a M-151 bottom end with a head of unknown origin. No matter what the head is off of it was highly modified for the injectors. Looks like a mechanical injection system also. That underneath is repairable up to that rear suspension crossmember. That is the one that the manual says is not repairable and the vehicle has the be scrapped. Now we are not the the military so we can repair anything given the proper resources. Then again, not all of us have access to a full fab shop! ( Sorry Guy ). IF, And it looks like this is a big IF, you could get that rear cross member off in one piece and get it to Guy he could probably make you one.
I really wish I were closer, I would love to go over that engine.
1964 M151A1
1984 M1008
1967 M416
04/1952 M100
12/1952 M100- Departed
AN/TSQ-114A Trailblazer- Gone

acudanut

Unread post by acudanut » February 1st, 2018, 3:34 pm

It's a m151 engine. Only difference is the head

acudanut

Unread post by acudanut » February 1st, 2018, 8:27 pm

Rick, I wish we all lived closer !!

acudanut

Unread post by acudanut » February 1st, 2018, 8:36 pm

muttguru wrote:I think the technical manual defines an underbody like that as "Painted Fog".
Ken

Muttguru. I need everyone's help to save the frame. I could care a less about 1 of 2 USA Ford injected mutts.
I will take offers on the entire injected powerpack. Or if someone wants the entire jeep, I will trade for a running mutt with no rust.
Cheers, Mike

acudanut

Unread post by acudanut » February 1st, 2018, 8:46 pm

A huge thanks for Matt. aka "surveyor" who help post pictures for me. Thanks Marine. Semper Fi.

rickf
General
General

Unread post by rickf » February 1st, 2018, 9:06 pm

acudanut wrote:
muttguru wrote:I think the technical manual defines an underbody like that as "Painted Fog".
Ken

Muttguru. I need everyone's help to save the frame. I could care a less about 1 of 2 USA Ford injected mutts.
I will take offers on the entire injected powerpack. Or if someone wants the entire jeep, I will trade for a running mutt with no rust.
Cheers, Mike
It's sad that people feel that way about historical items, especially when there are plenty of other M-151's out there that are worth a lot less historically. You KNOW nobody is going to trade a running rust free mutt for that, it would be kind of counter intuitive. They could sell the good one and then buy the other one from you. You said you got a good deal on it. I know what he was asking and I sure hope you paid no more than a quarter of that. I know someone that is, or was, interested in it. He might make you an offer on it but I can guarantee it will not be a running mutt in trade. I am curious why you bought it if you didn't want to restore the engine or show it?
1964 M151A1
1984 M1008
1967 M416
04/1952 M100
12/1952 M100- Departed

acudanut

Unread post by acudanut » February 1st, 2018, 9:55 pm

"hope you paid no more than a quarter of that" Your Not even close.
No, I paid Full price after a minute or two of looking at it. ( I was expecting 40 plus degree's weather and was greeted with 22 degree's) He also had 3 feet of snow around..I was freezing my butt off. I was on the road for well over 9 hours to get there. I only received one picture of a rusted frame part. I trusted him too much I guess.
BTW. the dist. is only a shell. I think there is only 50 percent of the Fuel injection there.

Surveyor
Terminal

Unread post by Surveyor » February 1st, 2018, 11:43 pm

Cuda asked me not that long ago to keep an eye out for a project m151 in his area that would require minimum body work. You sent him my way off the 503 Rick. He said he didnt mind engine work since he was a mechanic in the reserves back in the day. When I saw this one dropped in price yet again, I sent him a message thinking this might be a perfect fit....topside images looked good body wise and I silently thought who better than to try and get that engine running and save it. After he sent these pics I instantly regretted sending him that message. All I can say is I gave warning to check underneath or at least get more pictures from PO of the bottom before making that trip and before handing over any cash.... as many here know I got more of a project than I bargained for myself not long ago. I agree that anything can be repaired. Just takes time and money. Hope things work out for the best Cuda. Semper Fi
1960 M151 Run #1
"There is one nut on a M151 that is very difficult to remove....." - K8icu
"She ain't a Cadillac and she ain't a Rolls, But there ain't nothin' wrong with the radio" - Aaron Tippin

acudanut

Unread post by acudanut » February 2nd, 2018, 8:06 am

(Rick) : " I am curious why you bought it if you didn't want to restore the engine or show it "? Rick, I am not throwing in the towel yet. I love Mechanical work, but the Jury is still out there wither this engine will ever run with it's critical missing engine parts. When I barley touched the distributor cap, it fell off. When I inspected it, there was nothing inside, just a hollow shaft. I just am having buyers remorse is all. If I bought it at a fraction of the price I would be tickled pink. It's a very rare jeep, and it should be fixed. I did not buy it to sell it. I am not a flipper and never will be one.
I don't know at this point what to do..What did I get myself into. Did you know it has no title ?

rickf
General
General

Unread post by rickf » February 2nd, 2018, 10:56 am

I didn't know it didn't know it did not have a title but the other one I told you about did and I knew that. Unfortunately this one probably never did since it was experimental and most likely left the government premises unnoticed. It also does not surprise me that some of the parts are missing for the very same reason, it was experimental and the stuff was taken off for further testing. What really torques me is the dishonesty of the seller not to disclose all of this to you before you made this long trip. Also the extreme rust underneath. He knew it I am sure. There is no place in my world for those kinds of people!!! I don't know what conversations you two had between you but I am pretty sure you would not have bought it had you know the condition. I seriously doubt he will offer any money back.
1964 M151A1
1984 M1008
1967 M416
04/1952 M100
12/1952 M100- Departed

old dodge guy
Sergeant First Class
Sergeant First Class

Unread post by old dodge guy » February 2nd, 2018, 11:12 am

Oh yes, the dreadful buyers remorse........when you are driving home after the last purchase it hits you..... :shock: "What have I just done?" :shock: :shock:
Yes I have just bought a rare vehicle with Unubtanium parts which , if they exist at all, will be at least Platinum priced. And it's rusted beyond sensible repair. Yep.....been there, done that....still have the hulk in the back yard to prove it.
:lol: :lol: :lol: a Tee shirt would have been better. :lol:

Not making fun of anybody, I know I've done this and assume just about everybody here has as well.
Let's look at the good side. It IS a rare and historic vehicle!!! Most likely a ONE of a kind...at worst a TWO of a kind.
It CAN be fixed. If you had to have outside body work done, probably not economically savable, but if we do our own work, yes it is. After all, my labor is cheap, hiring someone else is not. (for those who object to this statement, My time is worth what price I set on it) If I were charging a high dollar/ time value to my hobby, my grand kids grand kids will still be in debt for me. :?
Parts can be found!
If you do not have the skills needed....it can be a learning experience. An education! Bring in your kids or grand kids...learn together. These skills can be very handy in life.
You get to meet new people. Some may be odd or eccentric..like myself... :lol: :lol: but definitely another bunch of people that you probably would have missed.
And for last...you can always sell it to another person.
All the best cuda........ODG
Still crazy after all these years.
The OD bug bit me in 1970......and I have never been the same

Rustman
Corporal
Corporal

Unread post by Rustman » February 2nd, 2018, 11:47 am

Hey Cuda! I bought a MUTT with a bunch of rust too. Photos are under the restoration topics section. I was sick to my stomach. But then I found and read every damn page of Guy's amazing restoration thread. Will it cost me a fortune in time? Yes. Will I be forced to learn a bunch of skills and do a bunch of work I was hoping to avoid? Yes. Will it cost a lot more? Yes. But I don't dwell on that. Guy showed that it's *possible* to bring one back from near death. So that is what I shall do, or at least try.

My advice is to stick with it, begin restoration. Each little bit will bring a smile (as long as you don't look at the rest).

Matt

rickf
General
General

Unread post by rickf » February 2nd, 2018, 12:02 pm

I went back to his original sale post on the 503 and he said that the injection pump was apart but he had the parts for it, did you get them? That is also the distributor on that engine and it is not mounted in the original location so it has to be a different cam or a different timing cover for the gearing. I can see a block off plate where the distributor used to go.
1964 M151A1
1984 M1008
1967 M416
04/1952 M100
12/1952 M100- Departed

rickf
General
General

Unread post by rickf » February 2nd, 2018, 12:24 pm

Ken, I cannot make it a sticky from here but if you start a new thread with the title "how to purchase a M-151" or something like that I will be glad to. That is a very good idea.
1964 M151A1
1984 M1008
1967 M416
04/1952 M100
12/1952 M100- Departed