Who found a Mutt Lately

a place to discuss anything of interest to owners of M151 jeeps

Moderators: rickf, raymond, Mr. Recovery

muttguru
Colonel
Colonel

Re: Who found a Mutt Lately

Unread post by muttguru » February 5th, 2018, 5:35 pm

acudanut wrote: Muttguru, when are coming to Kansas and help we with my mutt ?
Mike....
If I were you, I'd do these things:-

1. Determine if you have welding skills enough to repair the body. If not, do you have friends, relations or neighbours who have the necessary skills? If yes.....
2. Do you have a workshop of sufficient size to dismantle the vehicle and store the parts? If yes....
3. Do you have a VERY understanding partner? If yes.....
4. Put out a "wanted" request for a rotisserie so that you can rotate the stripped body to enable repair and welding and go from there. The folks here will be happy to answer any questions that may arise.

If your answer is "NO" to any of questions 1, 2 and 3..........start looking round for another M151.

ken
Kind regards....
Ken

Always wanted - Details and pictures of M416 Trailer data plates & M151 data plates & body-tags for my research. Thanks!

Contact address - - muttguru@aol.com

Note for 2023..... Ken..."Less Stress - More Exercise!"

rickf
General
General

Unread post by rickf » February 5th, 2018, 9:02 pm

You are not going to find a super clean and straight with no rust M-151 in the price range you are looking at. Just ain't gonna happen. I hate to be the bearer of bad news but the antique vehicle hobby is not one for those with little money. At least not those with little money and no tools and skills to do the work themselves. I will take a "tree bark remover" ANY day!!! Fixing bent panels is easy compared to rust repair.
But seriously, If you do not have body tools, a welder and the skills to use them then it is best to just wait until you can afford to spend upwards of ten grand on a completed mutt. You are going top spend several thousand on any restoration project even if it is a minor one. I feel very bad that you got taken on this deal, I have to say I never thought anyone would go to get a vehicle without going over it before driving off with it. 9 hour drive or not. I have driven away from deals that I drove two days to get. From this point forward I am going to refer anyone looking for a mutt to the newly formed thread on buying a mutt. There will be no discussion, just read that page!
1964 M151A1
1984 M1008
1967 M416
04/1952 M100
12/1952 M100- Departed
AN/TSQ-114A Trailblazer- Gone

Nick_
Sergeant
Sergeant

Unread post by Nick_ » February 5th, 2018, 9:36 pm

acudanut wrote:I will do my best to get the engine running again.. I don't plan on parting it out...YET..
There is a few mutts out there for sale, but not many anymore...
I will quote another member here.. "you can find them, but they all have rust or have been beaten to death (rock crawling or rubbing trees bark off)
I fell into a similar place as you when I purchased a Navy Jeep. After purchasing, I discovered it was used to start jet aircraft and was 1 of 75 ever built. Mine is the only known survivor. The passenger seat is removed and in its place is a huge generator system. I have spent 3 years searching the National Archives, historical documents, family histories, etc to find any information or manuals on the Jeep. I haven't come up with much yet. I can't believe a produced military vehicle doesn't have surviving documentation! To this day my generator system is still incomplete.

As others have said this is a long road ahead. The tools & parts alone will cost at least $10k (I speak from learning the hard way). Of course it will take years and searching archives, historical documents, etc to maybe be able to piece together the fuel injection. Purchasing a restored Mutt is a cheaper option in the long run. But if you only want to spend a few hundred here and there, a restoration is great.

I'm still in love with this Mutt... and again would be a crying shame for it to ever be parted it. Unfortunately something this customized and unique just doesn't draw the value of a stock Mutt that anyone can hop in and enjoy. I have access to a beautiful warehouse and all the tools in the world including a CNC machine shop. If you decide you want to move on, maybe we can work out a deal and at least get some money towards a better Mutt. I don't mind even leaving it as a sitting display next to my Navy Jeep just for the sake of preserving its history. You can email me nickmoxender@gmail.com I respond pretty quick.

acudanut

Unread post by acudanut » February 5th, 2018, 9:49 pm

Nick, great story about the Navy Mutt. I'd like to see pic's of it. Anyway, I am not too worried about getting this engine to run again. I have two brothers that are Real Mechanical Engineers and me as a grunt Mechanic.... I just wish I had a solid foundation to work with. You don't build a house on top of sand.

acudanut

Unread post by acudanut » February 7th, 2018, 2:25 pm

To Muttguru and Rick. I have all the "required" skills and a place to fix my Mutt. I do need a rotisserie though.
Nick, You are a college student. You should focus on you degree and I wish you success Sir.

rickf
General
General

Unread post by rickf » February 7th, 2018, 3:21 pm

There are plans on how to make a rotisserie from an engine hoist in one of the manuals, I think it is the -34. At the end of the manual. You make the adapters to bolt to the body and lift it with the hoist, two of them preferably and then you can make heavy sawhorses out of 4x4's to set it on. You don't have to have a 1200.00 unit. A lot of guys just roll it up on it's side and do everything from there. Where there is a will there is a way. Look in the back of the -20 and the -34. the plans are in one of them.
1964 M151A1
1984 M1008
1967 M416
04/1952 M100
12/1952 M100- Departed

acudanut

Unread post by acudanut » February 8th, 2018, 10:54 pm

rickf wrote:There are plans on how to make a rotisserie from an engine hoist in one of the manuals, I think it is the -34. At the end of the manual. You make the adapters to bolt to the body and lift it with the hoist, two of them preferably and then you can make heavy sawhorses out of 4x4's to set it on. You don't have to have a 1200.00 unit. A lot of guys just roll it up on it's side and do everything from there. Where there is a will there is a way. Look in the back of the -20 and the -34. the plans are in one of them.

Rick< what manual are you referring to ? "Look in the back of the -20 and the -34. the plans are in one of them"

Hambone
Brigadier General
Brigadier General

Unread post by Hambone » February 9th, 2018, 8:01 am

I built one from junk I had laying around so I could remove it from my shop(I know Rick, I have too much junk :lol: ), wheels on front end and hooked to 3 point on my tractor on the rear end, it was creating too much dust cutting and sanding in the shop.

rickf
General
General

Unread post by rickf » February 9th, 2018, 11:00 am

I asked Ken and he told me the plans are in the underbody repair kit instructions. I have them but they are on a drive that has apparently decided to stop working. I know Fil Bonica sells a blown up version of that plan.
1964 M151A1
1984 M1008
1967 M416
04/1952 M100
12/1952 M100- Departed

Fil Bonica
Brigadier General
Brigadier General

Unread post by Fil Bonica » February 9th, 2018, 1:02 pm

$22.00 shipped.
Paypal ok friends and family.

Fil Bonica
K1ABW

acudanut

Unread post by acudanut » February 11th, 2018, 11:44 pm

So, who bought Nick's Mutt in Indiana ? 2600 is dirt cheap compared to what I spent.