MUTT Currently in Service Thailand

a place to discuss anything of interest to owners of M151 jeeps

Moderators: rickf, raymond, Mr. Recovery

kmam
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major

MUTT Currently in Service Thailand

Unread post by kmam » January 14th, 2018, 5:49 am

In Thailand they have Childrens day when, amongst other celebrations, the armed forces have displays for the kids. This year a MUTT was on display which puzzled me as the Thai Army use HMMVs. Then I realised the one on display has a recoilless rifle mounted so they probably kept that model in service.

Anyway, here it is...

Howard

Daimler Ferret Mk 1/2
AM General M151A2
Austin Champ

Flyingvan911
Sergeant
Sergeant

Re: MUTT Currently in Service Thailand

Unread post by Flyingvan911 » January 14th, 2018, 5:58 pm

There's a seller on Ebay called TeeJeeper (arata44) in Thailand who seems to make pretty good parts. I have bought several and they seem to be good quality. I wouldn't be surprised if their military kept some Mutts in service. It would be wise. HMMWVs are nice but they are large and heavy. Sometimes you need a small, light vehicle with a low profile and fairly quiet engine. I like the way they painted the lighting eyes on the hubs red. It would make it easier to track their trajectory when they come off going down the road. He, he.

Jane
Corporal
Corporal

Unread post by Jane » January 14th, 2018, 9:54 pm

Kam,
M151 A2 are still in use with the Thai Military in limimited numbers, parts for the M151 which are available in the market are from Thaiwan, sometimes you maybe lucky and find a NOS part
Rodney

kmam
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major

Unread post by kmam » January 15th, 2018, 12:26 am

Flyingvan911 wrote:There's a seller on Ebay called TeeJeeper (arata44) in Thailand who seems to make pretty good parts. I have bought several and they seem to be good quality.
Yeah, I have bouhght stuff from him when in Thailand - he is not far from Bangkok. Last trip I found there are also a couple of shops in Bangkok that sell MUTT parts
Howard

Daimler Ferret Mk 1/2
AM General M151A2
Austin Champ

Gavin
Private First Class
Private First Class

Unread post by Gavin » January 16th, 2018, 9:19 pm

There are quite a few MUTTs still in service here in Thailand, which goes back to them not being able to afford the HMMWVs after the financial crisis back in 1997.

The new MUTT alternative is an HMMWV hybrid Jeep that is made by Isuzu.

Interestingly, this suggests that the HMMWVs were FMS and not lend lease, as earlier trucks had been.

Partswise, there’s still quite a lot of stuff in their central stores, some is Korean made, but I’m not sure about anything actually being made locally. That’s a new one on me.