Mutt being confiscated

a place to discuss anything of interest to owners of M151 jeeps

Moderators: rickf, raymond, Mr. Recovery

acudanut

Re: Mutt being confiscated

Unread post by acudanut » January 27th, 2018, 11:46 am

Funny real story :
Back in 1986, Me and a fellow Marine took a M151a2 off a Mortar range (which was dangerous and stupid) We filled it up with gas and oil and drove it on weekends around the dirt roads on base in California. We hid in the woods on base for awhile, before it was discovered by an Infantry training Squad. NIS was called to investigate and we were all questioned about it.. Funny part was, Those dumb asses thought it was stolen ( from Hawaii of all places) not knowing it was brought back over the pond and left for target practice on one of our many ranges. lol
Hind site: I could have drove it off base and they would have never had missed it.
Last edited by acudanut on January 31st, 2018, 3:19 am, edited 2 times in total.

Flyingvan911
Sergeant
Sergeant

Unread post by Flyingvan911 » January 27th, 2018, 2:22 pm

Stagg (a member on here) drove his Mutt around Fort Riley all the time. It was registered and insured and no one ever said anything remotely negative about it. He took it all over the place. He new all the ranges and tank trails well.

buttanic
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

Unread post by buttanic » January 30th, 2018, 11:02 am

Has anybody considered that we are advertising ownership of these vehicles on the internet for all to see including Uncle Sam. If Sam wants them we have made it easy for him to find them.

rickf
General
General

Unread post by rickf » January 30th, 2018, 11:29 am

Hence my constant "tread lightly" statements. But the fact of the matter is that they already know that if they want to find something the first place to look is internet forums. And internet searches. Followed by parades. Followed by Motor vehicle records. You think because it is registered as a 67 Jeep will change things? Just how many 67 Jeeps do you think are registered out there? It is easy to verify most old registrations. Unless something really drastic happens they are not in the least bit interested in the relatively few M-151's that are out there compared to the total numbers the government originally owned and disposed of. Now, If you have armor, then you have something to worry about.
They will go after the HMMWV's long before anything else. If they leave them alone then we have nothing to worry about.
1964 M151A1
1984 M1008
1967 M416
04/1952 M100
12/1952 M100- Departed
AN/TSQ-114A Trailblazer- Gone

raymond
Major General
Major General

Unread post by raymond » January 31st, 2018, 12:29 pm

Rick is absolutely correct. Law enforcement has a lot of bigger problems to deal with than a bunch of guys like us who buy these things, spend more money on them than they are worth, baby them on the road, give rides to veterans while they drive them in local parades,...............

Given the demographics of most of the owners, the optics of confiscation would look incredibly bad.

Which reminds me of a story about a local friend of mine. He is a well known local businessman. He bought a stainless steel, electronically temperature controlled, propane fired "perfume still" online. It is quite a setup. Very controlled distillation conditions. He asked the former local sheriff, a mutual friend of both of ours, if he could legally make and distill liquor if it was just for himself. Now you also have to know this was over a decade ago, and the meth problem was out of control around here with breakins of pharmacies to steal cold medicine, breakins of other retailers to steal lithium batteries, breakins to steal anhydrous ammonia, theft to get money to buy meth from cookers, child abuse, arson from the cooking fires, evictions for trashing property to cook meth, hazmat cleanup, child and spousal abuse, auto theft, and all other manners of crime associated with meth. The sheriff told him he didn't know if it was legal to make distilled alcohol for your own consumption, nor did he care. He said he had MUCH BIGGER problems than a 60 year old guy wanting to make his own "rock gut hooch" as he called it.
Raymond

"On the day when crime puts on the apparel of innocence, through a curious reversal peculiar to our age, it is innocence that is called on to justify itself." Albert Camus

Fil Bonica
Brigadier General
Brigadier General

Unread post by Fil Bonica » January 31st, 2018, 4:28 pm

I am repeating myself but forgive an old man,
This topic has been beaten to death !
It’s a thing of the past
If Big Brother is watching he is looking for much more exciting things than a bunch of forty plus year vehicles that may or not been misplaced.

Fil Bonica
K1ABW

Flyingvan911
Sergeant
Sergeant

Unread post by Flyingvan911 » January 31st, 2018, 6:24 pm

I'd bet most law officers have no idea we officially aren't supposed to be driving them. If it's a sound vehicle and you are being careful and obeying the traffic laws, they won't bother you. It's more about how you drive it than what kind of vehicle it is. I've had my deuce for 7 years and the only people who have questioned me only did so from the standpoint of being fascinated that a civilian could own one. Other than that, police and civilians alike are happy to see it going down the road.

rickf
General
General

Unread post by rickf » February 2nd, 2018, 11:01 am

As far as the law officers go, if it is registered and insured then it is completely legal.
Fil, We hear you, If you don't want to participate in this thread then don't read it. Yes, it has been talked about before, with a completely different group of people. Yes, you are old and yes, we forgive you. :twisted: :lol: :lol: :lol:
1964 M151A1
1984 M1008
1967 M416
04/1952 M100
12/1952 M100- Departed
AN/TSQ-114A Trailblazer- Gone