a place to discuss anything of interest to owners of M151 jeeps

Moderators: rickf, raymond, Mr. Recovery

incoming
Sergeant
Sergeant

flashlight bracket

Unread post by incoming » January 29th, 2018, 10:00 pm

Greetings fellow MUTT enthusiasts.
I have a 1972 M151 A2 that I am adding period correct military accessories to. Can anyone tell me where the angle-head flashlight bracket was typically mounted? Have done a lot of searching for any pictures showing the position or mounting instructions per military specs, but with no luck. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks for any help.

Rustman
Corporal
Corporal

Re: flashlight bracket

Unread post by Rustman » January 30th, 2018, 7:40 am

I don't think there is a mount? The angle head flashlight is issued as personal equipment and can be hung from the load bearing suspenders as part of your M-56 or M-67 gear, or hung from a strap on the ALICE pack. I haven't seen where the flashlight is listed as an accessory to the vehicle.

Matt

njjeeper
1st Sergeant
1st Sergeant

Unread post by njjeeper » January 30th, 2018, 9:50 am

I have seen pics where they are stuck on the defroster vents. Not issued to go there but that's where I have mine on the ambulance.

Fil Bonica
Brigadier General
Brigadier General

Unread post by Fil Bonica » January 30th, 2018, 10:34 am

My flashlite is hung on the drivers defroster vent.
However. I recently bought a holder and have been figuring to.mount it.
Hesitant to drill extra holes in the dash.

Fil Bonica
K1ABW

incoming
Sergeant
Sergeant

Unread post by incoming » January 30th, 2018, 8:37 pm

Gentlemen,
There is a military issue flashlight bracket with a part number. I acquired mine on eBay. I think you said you had one Phil, and I agree that another two holes in the dash is not what I want to do. So, I solved the problem by mounting it to the PRC 75 rig in the back. It fits there nicely. Now I have to figure out where the rifle mount for the M16 goes. There is a procedure for mounting in the MUTT manual I have but it is specifically placed for a MUTT without the ROPS (mine has ROPS). I may just affix the rifle mount to the inboard side of the passenger footwell, pointing up, of course! Never realized how cluttered the dash surface is. Not a lot of room to mount accessories, especially when you take in to account that the heater, and tranny hump, block access to the backside of the dash (unless you want to go through the trouble of removing them)! Anyhow, thanks for the responses gents.

kmam
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major

Unread post by kmam » January 30th, 2018, 11:12 pm

I just clip mine to the back of the passenger seat - easily reached by the driver.
Howard

Daimler Ferret Mk 1/2
AM General M151A2
Austin Champ

Flyingvan911
Sergeant
Sergeant

Unread post by Flyingvan911 » January 30th, 2018, 11:18 pm

Some of the flashlight brackets need the space for the switch guard widened. I did this with a cut off wheel. I bought 3 on ebay and had to modify all three. They work like a charm.