Interesting Distributor Coil

a place to discuss anything of interest to owners of M151 jeeps

Moderators: rickf, raymond, Mr. Recovery

agwrangler
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

Interesting Distributor Coil

Unread post by agwrangler » May 21st, 2018, 2:41 pm

So i opened a distributor yesterday that had never been rebuilt, and took the coil out. It was a shorter coil than the normal ones, and was sitting on about a 1/4 inch tall pice of material, with the wire from the capacitor running into it, and the black wire for the top of the coil running out of it. The coil just sat on top of that, and bolted on. I have a picture of the coil and the inside of the distributor where it sat on that deal.

Any ideas on why they did this, what it was, etc? Truly curious as I have never seen one like this.

Hambone
Brigadier General
Brigadier General

Re: Interesting Distributor Coil

Unread post by Hambone » May 21st, 2018, 2:44 pm

Early version of the coil, had a resistor under it.

rickf
General
General

Unread post by rickf » May 21st, 2018, 3:38 pm

If that coil was good then hang onto it along with the resistor! They are impossible to find.
1964 M151A1
1984 M1008
1967 M416
04/1952 M100
12/1952 M100- Departed
AN/TSQ-114A Trailblazer- Gone

m3a1
Lt. General
Lt. General

Unread post by m3a1 » May 21st, 2018, 4:02 pm

Here ya go. Maybe these pics will help.

Click on thumbnail to enlarge.

rickf
General
General

Unread post by rickf » May 21st, 2018, 4:14 pm

An NOS coil from 1970! Is there ANYTHING you don't have stashed somewhere? We have seen you house in the Halloween pics, It is a small house. Where do you keep all this stuff!!!! I think I have found someone who is more of a pacrat than me! :roll: :lol: :lol: Now Hambone, That boy has us ALL beat!
1964 M151A1
1984 M1008
1967 M416
04/1952 M100
12/1952 M100- Departed

agwrangler
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

Unread post by agwrangler » May 21st, 2018, 4:35 pm

Yeah the coil and all was good. I think it was an NOS distributor. So I will keep that guy, eh? Thanks a lot.

m3a1
Lt. General
Lt. General

Unread post by m3a1 » May 21st, 2018, 5:07 pm

My home is like a Jenga game....and that's all I have to say about THAT! :roll:

What follows has nothing at all to do with this issue of the coil, but I did help a friend out today which always makes my day.

We were looking at his MUTT and I noticed the forward vent hose to the distributor housing had separated cleanly at the clamp and was now hanging in the air. Why, I don't know. Maybe he jostled it while replacing his fuel pump.

Well, I got to fiddling with the fitting and noticed that someone had erroneously put the compression fitting direct to the distributor housing which, as we know, requires a brass el-shaped compression fitting and then, the final compression fitting goes on that. Well, maybe HE didn't put it there. Maybe the last guy put it there but you can't put a compression fitting direct to the housing without having at least a minor vac leak because the copper tube just slides in, out and all over the place.

So, we ran over to my house, pulled an old distributor housing off the pile and pilfered a proper fitting off of it (and some small vac hose I had laying around). He's back in business and I'm betting his truck runs even better now.

He sold me a Zenith carb kit he didn't use for his truck - a kit that I needed for the Alley Cat's carb (and my reason for being there today in the first place) and I also bought a new Airtex 60577 fuel pump from him. He decided it would be too much trouble to use it (owing to the fact that his is an emissions truck). I'll pre-plumb that Airtex and put it in my Oh-S**t-Kit. Having that in the kit is a whole lot of peace of mind for $16, wouldn't you say?

Cheers,
TJ (Crown Prince of Jenga-Land)
Last edited by m3a1 on May 25th, 2018, 8:17 am, edited 3 times in total.

Fil Bonica
Brigadier General
Brigadier General

Unread post by Fil Bonica » May 21st, 2018, 5:16 pm

There was one of those coil kits and ballast resistors on flea bay not too long ago.

Fil Bonica
K1ABW

rickf
General
General

Unread post by rickf » May 21st, 2018, 6:21 pm

m3a1 wrote:My home is like a Jenga game....and that's all I have to say about THAT! :roll:

What follows has nothing at all to do with this issue of the coil, but I did help a friend out today which always makes my day.

We were looking at his MUTT and I noticed the forward vac hose to the distributor housing had separated cleanly at the clamp and was now hanging in the air. Why, I don't know. Maybe he jostled it while replacing his fuel pump.

Well, I got to fiddling with the fitting and noticed that he had erroneously put the compression fitting direct to the distributor housing which, as we know, requires a brass el fitting and then, the compression fitting goes on that. Well, maybe HE didn't put it there. Maybe the last guy put it there but you can't put a compression fitting direct to the housing without having at least a minor vac leak because the copper tube just slides in, out and all over the place.

So, we ran over to my house, pulled an old distributor housing off the pile and pilfered a proper fitting off of it (and some vac hose I had laying around). He's back in business and I'm betting his truck runs even better now.

He sold me a Zenith carb kit he didn't use for his truck - a kit that I needed for the Alley Cat's carb (and my reason for being there today in the first place) and I also bought a new Airtex fuel pump from him. He decided it would be too much trouble to use (owing to the fact that his is an emissions truck). I'll pre-plumb that Airtex and put it in my Oh-S**t-Kit. Having that in the kit is a whole lot of peace of mind for $16, wouldn't you say?

Cheers,
I have noticed that several times you have made mention of vacuum leaks at the distributor and along that particular line. I have not said anything in the past but I am going to rain on your parade. That entire line is a metered vacuum leak. Follow all of those lines to there end and you will find that the main line goes to the vacuum pump and is the actually on the outlet side of the vacuum pump so any air that the pump draws goes into that line and back into the manifold. The lines that go to the distributor go through a different line and end up at the top vent on the carburetor. So again it is a loop with the manifold drawing air and the carburetor filtering it. So what it comes down to is even if one of those distributor lines is off there is no perceived difference because they are designed to be moving air through the distributor. The engine is calibrated for that leak just like the PCV valve.
1964 M151A1
1984 M1008
1967 M416
04/1952 M100
12/1952 M100- Departed

m3a1
Lt. General
Lt. General

Unread post by m3a1 » May 21st, 2018, 6:59 pm

Well, that makes sense. To paraphrase, the lines to the distributor housing are more of a vent arrangement then, terminating at (or before) where the carb creates a fuel/air mixture, rather than after, right? You should have brought it up earlier. Anyway, we got that Cav fellow looking for a vacuum leak which is what I felt he should be doing at this point. Easiest thing to eliminate.

Thanks for the tip. I'll be going hands-on with this whole scenario in a day or two when I put the carb back on the Alley Cat and replumb the lines which have all been cut, crimped or altogether eliminated. Now you've got me thinking and I'll have to have a hard look at my lines on the A2.

Cheers,
TJ

Hambone
Brigadier General
Brigadier General

Unread post by Hambone » May 21st, 2018, 7:23 pm

rickf wrote:An NOS coil from 1970! Is there ANYTHING you don't have stashed somewhere? We have seen you house in the Halloween pics, It is a small house. Where do you keep all this stuff!!!! I think I have found someone who is more of a pacrat than me! :roll: :lol: :lol: Now Hambone, That boy has us ALL beat!
Now Rick, why would you say that? :lol:

acudanut

Unread post by acudanut » May 22nd, 2018, 8:24 pm

m3a1 wrote:My home is like a Jenga game....and that's all I have to say about THAT! :roll:

We were looking at his MUTT and I noticed the forward vac hose to the distributor housing had separated cleanly at the clamp and was now hanging in the air. Why, I don't know. Maybe he jostled it while replacing his fuel pump.

Well, I got to fiddling with the fitting and noticed that he had erroneously put the compression fitting direct to the distributor housing which, as we know, requires a brass el fitting and then, the compression fitting goes on that. Well, maybe HE didn't put it there. Maybe the last guy put it there but you can't put a compression fitting direct to the housing without having at least a minor vac leak because the copper tube just slides in, out and all over the place.

So, we ran over to my house, pulled an old distributor housing off the pile and pilfered a proper fitting off of it (and some vac hose I had laying around). He's back in business and I'm betting his truck runs even better now.

He sold me a Zenith carb kit he didn't use for his truck - a kit that I needed for the Alley Cat's carb (and my reason for being there today in the first place) and I also bought a new Airtex fuel pump from him. He decided it would be too much trouble to use (owing to the fact that his is an emissions truck). I'll pre-plumb that Airtex and put it in my Oh-S**t-Kit. Having that in the kit is a whole lot of peace of mind for $16, wouldn't you say?

Cheers,

but I did help a friend out today which always makes my day.
Will you be my friend. :mrgreen:

m3a1
Lt. General
Lt. General

Unread post by m3a1 » May 22nd, 2018, 9:35 pm

Suuuuuuuuure. ....and I personally guarantee all the advice I will give you will be worth exactly what ya paid for it. :D