MRAPs

a place to discuss anything of interest to owners of M151 jeeps

Moderators: rickf, raymond, Mr. Recovery

Floyd
Captain
Captain

MRAPs

Unread post by Floyd » December 17th, 2007, 4:08 pm

Just read a really good article in USA Today.

http://www.usatoday.com/news/military/2 ... MRAP_N.htm

Floyd
1961 M151
1967 M416
1988 M35A2C
VFW Life Member
NRA Life Member

mrdibbles
Colonel
Colonel

Unread post by mrdibbles » December 17th, 2007, 5:07 pm

Thanks for posting this Floyd. I like the idea of the MRAP for sure. Anything that can save lives is well worth consideration. It seems like the right short term solution to the problem we face today but long term I wonder. Technology will change and so will tactics to defeat them. At the current price tag for these awesome vehicles I wonder if money and resources can't be better spent? I personally like the idea of unmanned drones monitoring the battlefield. We use them today but can that technology become more developed to be more proactive? To me it seems more valuable to kill the terrorist placing the IED than "absorbing" the blast of a terrorist's IED. MRAPs save lives, I can't argue that, but should every soldier in Iraq have one? If money were no option I'd say yes but I am not sure it's possible.

In this condition this MRAP ain't going to be easy to put back into action. All of the occupants of this MRAP survived this blast which sent the block hurtling over a hundred yards from the blast area.

Then again here is an excerpt from http://www.globalsecurity.org where it discusses the miltary's $$ value of replacing soldiers killed by IEDs:

"The cost of acquiring a MRAP vehicle fleet will be significant. However, it is militarily and financially less expensive to acquire MRAP vehicles than to continue to suffer casualties in excess of Vietnam's historical loss rates. Protecting people is cheaper than replacing them in an all-volunteer service. Research by the Math and Statistics branch of the Naval Safety Center incicates that the financial costs associated to casualties should be adjusted upward no less than 250% from its current 1988 baseline to account for the real dollar costs of care and replacement. Adjusted enlisted casualties average $500,000 dollars while officers, depending upon their military occupation range from one to two million dollars each. This means the average light tactical vehicle with one officer and four enlisted personnel is protecting 2.5 million dollars of the DOD's budget. This $2.5 million is real O&M dollars. The argument that "we can't afford armored vehicles" is specious. The opposite is true, at 2.5 million dollars of precious cargo each, the Corps cannot afford UN-armored vehicles."
1992 Mercedes-Benz 250GD Wolf - Former German Army
St. Augustine, Florida

moose53
Site Admin
Site Admin

Unread post by moose53 » December 17th, 2007, 5:30 pm

more mraps, smaller version

HMMMV replacement:

uparmored nexgen HMMMV:

Jim
Zigzag50, Northeast51, KC2QDZ
MVPA # 30032 G838.org

--------------------------------------
1971 G838-M151A2 1966 G857-M416
1968 G748-M101A1 1976 G748-M116A1
1990 MEP-701A

--------------------------------------
Real jeeps have horizontal grille slots

Cobra5
Colonel
Colonel

Unread post by Cobra5 » December 17th, 2007, 5:45 pm

Looks like they already defeated it. Sure all the occupants were unharmed but all the terrorists have to do now is plant IED's in pairs. When the initial blast takes out the vehicle a secondary IED can take out the guys as they depart the wreckage. The best way to defeat the IED's is training, i.e. learn from the past, maintain situational awareness at all times, and don't trust anyone over there.

Floyd
Captain
Captain

Unread post by Floyd » December 18th, 2007, 5:53 pm

Matt: Good group of photos you posted. When you think that’s a million bucks every time one of those gets dusted you have to wonder about the cost. I’m shocked that the armor and the glass come from Israel. I guess we no longer have the ability to produce those things. We are in short supply in country but flying them over at $100,000 plus a pop, WOW!

We could get the cost down and mass produce them, but I think the aim of the administration is to get the casualty list down. That V- Hull technology is not new and I agree with you. We need more “PREDATORSâ€￾.

Floyd
1961 M151
1967 M416
1988 M35A2C
VFW Life Member
NRA Life Member