Louisiana MV's

a place to discuss anything of interest to owners of M151 jeeps

Moderators: rickf, raymond, Mr. Recovery

Surveyor
Terminal

Louisiana MV's

Unread post by Surveyor » June 21st, 2018, 11:59 am

Looks like I was close to having to sell and didn't even know it. I was oblivious to the recent law changes that will go into effect shortly here in Louisiana. Not that bad. It looks like they wanted to remove MV's from the roadway altogether, then they changed it to a restrictive bill which has since been watered down some. Major changes for me now are I'll have to add a second mirror, seatbelts, and the signal lights like an a1 config even though it's a straight. Commonsense stuff that I should have on it anyway. Not sure yet if stencil numbers will be accepted in lieu of license plate. Better than not being able to use it at all.

Be warned... if it hasn't hit your state yet it may. From juanprado & UNDYSWORLD at Steel Soldiers -

How did we get here?

In another thread UNDYSWORLD hit the nail on the head. There is a national policy association/non profit of dmv administrators. They have pushed an agenda out there to all states and some are reacting to it. Basically they are calling all military trucks as unworthy and not meeting safety standards. Also there is an issue if they are allowed on Federal funded roads and Interstates? The topic of GP off road hmmwv titles also is part of this agenda but not the sole driving force. All trucks are lumped into one category.

If you care to read more -

https://www.steelsoldiers.com/showthrea ... cles/page3

http://www.legis.la.gov/legis/ViewDocum ... ?d=1103666
1960 M151 Run #1
"There is one nut on a M151 that is very difficult to remove....." - K8icu
"She ain't a Cadillac and she ain't a Rolls, But there ain't nothin' wrong with the radio" - Aaron Tippin

m3a1
Lt. General
Lt. General

Re: Louisiana MV's

Unread post by m3a1 » June 21st, 2018, 4:34 pm

Just another one of the reasons I love Texas.

WC Matt
Colonel
Colonel

Unread post by WC Matt » June 21st, 2018, 6:41 pm

Yeah they passed some draconian laws servearly restricting on road use of former MVs here in Va too. The laws seem aimed mostly at the HMMWV & LMTV crowd but I can see where the WWII & VN stuff could/will be affected as well. When I found out about this from steelsoldiers it was too late to do anything about it.

Matt

Flyingvan911
Sergeant
Sergeant

Unread post by Flyingvan911 » June 21st, 2018, 9:27 pm

The law in Louisiana seems pretty good. It was starting to look like the Virginia bill might end well but one of the big wig politicians got everyone else to vote for the original, restrictive bill. Most of the states that have tried to get MV's off the road have ended up passing some pretty decent laws protecting MV's.

WC Matt
Colonel
Colonel

Unread post by WC Matt » June 23rd, 2018, 6:26 am

Yeah, not Virginia! MV owners here got screwed royally. This place used to be great if you were into the kind of stuff "we" like but unfortunately, that has all changed (or is in the process of changing).

Matt

m3a1
Lt. General
Lt. General

Unread post by m3a1 » June 23rd, 2018, 5:37 pm

I'm guessing they still allow them to be operated with the same restrictions that antique vehicles have?

WC Matt
Colonel
Colonel

Unread post by WC Matt » June 23rd, 2018, 7:16 pm

m3a1 wrote:I'm guessing they still allow them to be operated with the same restrictions that antique vehicles have?
I can't say for LA and I don't want to hijack the OP's thread but as I understand the MV law in Va, if your MV currently has antique tags on it, than it's Ok. But if you sell it (after the cut off date of 2019) or buy another one it can only be registered using the new "MV tags". See the link below. .

https://www.steelsoldiers.com/showthrea ... nia-Senate

My apologies to the OP for this.

Matt