She stumbles coming off the line

a place to discuss anything of interest to owners of M151 jeeps

Moderators: rickf, raymond, Mr. Recovery

m3a1
Lt. General
Lt. General

She stumbles coming off the line

Unread post by m3a1 » July 2nd, 2018, 10:55 am

Now that I have sorted out the in-tank filter business and have assured that the lines are clear to the carb (including new filter) I'm wondering about where the filter should be in relation to the bottom of the tank. (which is 1970 Ford A2 pre-emissions, by the way)

That gizmo that was on the pick-up tube was created from a soda can and so, was quite a bit larger in diameter than the OEM filter. That said, I'm wondering if my in-tank filter is now riding far higher than it should be (the pick-up tube is presently formed to an approximate 90 degree large radius bend.)

So the question is, what should the tube look like in terms of degree of bend and how close to the bottom of the tank should the pick-up tube filter be? I'm thinking it is presently riding higher than it should.

What brings all this up is that I was driving the MUTT yesterday and everything was going nicely but, coming off a stop, the truck's engine stumbled, barely ran for a brief moment as though it was starving for fuel and then stalled. It restarted and I tip-toed through the intersection but after that, including going up a grade, the truck ran like a champ again.

Yes, I was a bit low on fuel (as usual) so I went over to the gas station and put in 5 gallons. I'll take it out today and see if I can replicate the problem with the additional fuel on board.

Carb is a recent rebuild by Brooks (several years old) and this issue is very intermittent (only taking place coming off the line) and the truck performs well any other time. Fuel pump is an original pump and by all other evidence, seems to be working fine.

Anyone have any thoughts?

Cheers,
TJ

rickf
General
General

Re: She stumbles coming off the line

Unread post by rickf » July 2nd, 2018, 11:07 am

A loss of pick up for a second or two wouldn't cause that problem because you still have the gas in the carburetor bowl that will carry you for quite a ways. That sounds like an electrical issue more than anything unless the fuel level is way to low in the carb. I do happen to have the pick up and plate from an A2 so I will measure it for you, Ain't such a nice guy? It is 100 freakin degrees out today!
Oh, And did I mention the NJ humidity? Heat index is 107.
Here's your pictures.

1964 M151A1
1984 M1008
1967 M416
04/1952 M100
12/1952 M100- Departed
AN/TSQ-114A Trailblazer- Gone

rickf
General
General

Unread post by rickf » July 2nd, 2018, 11:19 am

Now don't you feel bad? :P

I didn't think so. :roll: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
1964 M151A1
1984 M1008
1967 M416
04/1952 M100
12/1952 M100- Departed
AN/TSQ-114A Trailblazer- Gone

m3a1
Lt. General
Lt. General

Unread post by m3a1 » July 2nd, 2018, 12:40 pm

Thanks for walking through the fire, man! Terrific pics, by the way.

Yeah, looks like I'll have to go back in and tweak that pick up tube. No dramas. All the hard work is done. Just a matter of reopening it.

Once THAT is sorted out, we'll see what's what. I'm wearing this gremlin down. He has fewer and fewer places to hide now.

m3a1
Lt. General
Lt. General

Unread post by m3a1 » July 2nd, 2018, 1:47 pm

Ok, reporting back in on this matter. That pick-up tube was WAY up off the bottom of the tank...ultimately, it was not less than 1.25" more than it should have been and by my measurements, my filter should now be just barely touching the bottom of the tank.

Could that be my alibi for running out of gas the other day? Because, if the pick-up tube is riding above even a million gallons of gas, you're STILL gonna be out of fuel, eh?

So, with that done, I'll run it some more and see what happens. Thank you for your efforts, Rick. Much appreciated.

Cheers,
TJ

Surveyor
Terminal

Unread post by Surveyor » July 2nd, 2018, 5:06 pm

92°, feels like 105° with 58% humidity down here. Sometimes I just have to thank the Lord for these cool, dry, days. :wink:
1960 M151 Run #1
"There is one nut on a M151 that is very difficult to remove....." - K8icu
"She ain't a Cadillac and she ain't a Rolls, But there ain't nothin' wrong with the radio" - Aaron Tippin