Mihandra Roxor

a place to discuss anything of interest to owners of M151 jeeps

Moderators: rickf, raymond, Mr. Recovery

Surveyor
Terminal

Mihandra Roxor

Unread post by Surveyor » August 20th, 2018, 9:13 am

Lawsuits aside, I thought this was interesting... Flash and retune of computer brings the Roxor from 45 to 73mph. :roll: Safety first kids. Don't try this at home.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VgZxPHMUzZU&t=348s
1960 M151 Run #1
"There is one nut on a M151 that is very difficult to remove....." - K8icu
"She ain't a Cadillac and she ain't a Rolls, But there ain't nothin' wrong with the radio" - Aaron Tippin

rickf
General
General

Re: Mihandra Roxor

Unread post by rickf » August 20th, 2018, 9:50 am

Well that didn't take long. There are a few things I don't understand about the Mihandra. Why is it considered a side by side and not a car? Why is it so slow when all of the specs say that it should cruise at 65 mph with no problems. The gears and a 5 speed all say 65 with no issues. To me this is just another expensive toy, not something actually useful.
1964 M151A1
1984 M1008
1967 M416
04/1952 M100
12/1952 M100- Departed
AN/TSQ-114A Trailblazer- Gone

Surveyor
Terminal

Unread post by Surveyor » August 20th, 2018, 10:01 am

I think it is because it doesn't meet federal safety standards for on-road use. Why they market it here as an off-road side-by-side or farm vehicle. Slow because it is limited by the manufacturer I would surmise to reduce on lawsuits.
1960 M151 Run #1
"There is one nut on a M151 that is very difficult to remove....." - K8icu
"She ain't a Cadillac and she ain't a Rolls, But there ain't nothin' wrong with the radio" - Aaron Tippin

m3a1
Lt. General
Lt. General

Unread post by m3a1 » August 20th, 2018, 10:25 am

Exactly right (!!) and to tell you the truth, I'm not very happy about it.

Mahindra decided to play a dangerous (and rather clever game) by going the "side-by-side" route. As far as I am able to ascertain, they never submitted the Roxor for crash safety and other testing that would be required for highway use. Why? Because, for the market they were seeking, they didn't have to. I think we all would agree that the Roxor really doesn't quite fit in the side-by-side category either.... that, or it's the ultimate gold standard for side-by-sides!

Despite their claims that the Roxor is absolutely not for highway use, they very plainly constructed a vehicle that has everything needed for being put on the highway...and they designed it in such a way that a lot of people would want to put it on the highway (considering what a 'real' Jeep sells for nowadays). Yep, sooner or later, we all know we are going to see one out there on the highway and sooner or later, someone is going to ball one up and then the lawyers are going to get their hands on the issue. What they lawyers will argue (that there are other vehicles on the road that were never subjected to such testing) and all of that will then be compared to the most obvious example of that.... Our FMVs. They'll use us as an example in an attempt to win their case.

The danger of all that is, sooner or later the legislature is going to get their hands on what's left of the issue and, in overly broad strokes, they will pen some ridiculous one-size-fits-all law that might just have a very chilling effect upon those of us who have former military vehicles. Of course we are all aware that this is already happening in some places so, I'm not very happy about this at all. For us, it will be like being thrown into a river after having been sewn into a burlap bag full of bobcats. Not exactly a fight you'd want to have, eh?

As much as I like the idea of the Roxor as a product (despite the rather corpulent price tag) I certainly hope someone finds a way to ensure these stay off the streets. We former military vehicle guys have enough troubles as it is.

Cheers,
TJ

rickf
General
General

Unread post by rickf » August 20th, 2018, 10:59 am

That's what I have been saying about the "off road use only" hummers that guys are circumventing the rules on and getting titles and tags and running on the roads. Wait till one gets in an accident and people are killed and see what happens to the entire military vehicle hobby. Same with the 151 really if you think about it. Technically it should never have been allowed on the road but we are not opening that can of worms again.
1964 M151A1
1984 M1008
1967 M416
04/1952 M100
12/1952 M100- Departed

m3a1
Lt. General
Lt. General

Unread post by m3a1 » August 20th, 2018, 6:56 pm

Well I think the only thing we have to hang on to is that the original consumer (the military) does run their vehicles on the roads and does spec them out for that purpose, which is far different than Mahindra who states very plainly that they are not for use on the road. The difference is a very fine line, but a line nonetheless. Of course lawyers and legislators will try their darnedest to ignore that fact in order to pursue an agenda that has nothing to do with us.

acudanut

Unread post by acudanut » August 21st, 2018, 4:01 am

Come get my MV and take my Guns too. It won't end well.
Anyway.. There are some very small cars on the road (imports) that I can't believe are safe at any speed.
Motorcycles ? We call their owners (organ donors) here...I hung up my helmet years ago.

rickf
General
General

Unread post by rickf » August 21st, 2018, 10:05 am

acudanut wrote:Come get my MV and take my Guns too. It won't end well.
Anyway.. There are some very small cars on the road (imports) that I can't believe are safe at any speed.
Motorcycles ? We call their owners (organ donors) here...I hung up my helmet years ago.
I just bought another bike not long ago. Might even fix up the old Shadow. If you crash it right there are no usable organs left. :twisted: :twisted: (That pertains mostly to the crotch rocketeers)
1964 M151A1
1984 M1008
1967 M416
04/1952 M100
12/1952 M100- Departed

m3a1
Lt. General
Lt. General

Unread post by m3a1 » August 21st, 2018, 11:20 am

I love my crotch rocket. Like Cracker Jack, with V-tech there's always a surprise inside.

Bill, Idaho
Master Sergeant
Master Sergeant

Unread post by Bill, Idaho » August 22nd, 2018, 9:36 pm

In Idaho, a person can buy what is referred to as a "silver plate", which in fact is a license plate issued to UTVs and some ATVs. It makes them legal to operate on a city street or highway- as long as it is NOT a state highway. Interstates are not allowed. Think Polaris Razors, Can-Ams, Kawasaki Teryx, etc.
There is a provision in the law that says unless a local town or county specifically says no, they can be operated on streets, roads, etc.
That being said--- I can foresee these Mihandra things being licensed the same way. At least in Idaho.
(Now that i think about it, I know a guy that got a plate for a USGI Mule!!
I don't recall the exact equipment requirements, such as turn signals, windshields, etc, and there is a section on maximum weights and widths, but I haven't really looked into it that much. I think it says you have to have DOT authorized tires, but nobody pays much attention to that particular part.

When I went down to Quartzite for a few weeks last winter, everyone was driving UTVs on the street. I suppose next year there will be a smattering of Mihandras as well.

rickf
General
General

Unread post by rickf » August 23rd, 2018, 9:27 am

If I was going to spend that kind of money on a side by side it sure as hell would be something with long travel suspension, decent tires and a LOT more power for the same dollars. Think todays tech for todays dollars! I originally thought these were going to be on road vehicles.
1964 M151A1
1984 M1008
1967 M416
04/1952 M100
12/1952 M100- Departed

acudanut

Unread post by acudanut » August 24th, 2018, 3:17 pm

Have you seen the prices of Polaris's Razors ATV'S 25K plus. Crazy money for a Jap toy. No thanks.
I lived in Japan for a year. They don't buy US autos as a whole. Maybe 5 percent at best. Why should we buy anything from them. Buy American, Be American as my late Grandfather always said. Yes he fought in the pacific.

Bill, Idaho
Master Sergeant
Master Sergeant

Unread post by Bill, Idaho » August 24th, 2018, 7:57 pm

By no means am I wanting to sound like a smart-a##, but are there any ATVS or UTVs made in the US? Can-Ams are made in Canada I think, Kaw/Yamaha/Honda are all made in Japan.
Maybe John Deere? I'm not even sure about them.
I think I saw a blip for a video showing someone re-programmed the computer (?) on one of those jeep-looking things, and doubled the horsepower/top speed.

rickf
General
General

Unread post by rickf » August 24th, 2018, 8:03 pm

You might want to look at where the sub assemblies of most of the American cars are made. It ain't here. And a LOT of the Japanese cars are made here. Toyota and Honda have been made here for many years. I toured the Honda Plant 35 years ago in 1990 in East Liberty, Ohio. I am all for buy American but when the Japanese can make a 4 cylinder engine that puts out 150 horsepower and gets 200,00 miles throughout it's entire model run.............................. The Americans dropped the ball BIG time my friend. AND, The 4 banger gets 33 MPG back when the best 4 cylinder we had struggled to get out of it's own way and got 12-15 MPG straining to move the car. We have still just barely caught up, what has changed is the Japanese cars have raised there prices to match the American cars. And just so you know, all of my vehicles are American brands except the Honda Civic with 265,000 miles on it that we keep falling back on every time one of the American cars dies. My wife is driving that Honda right now.

Toyota is very active here is the USA.

Toyota Motor Manufacturing Mississippi, Inc., (TMMMS) is located in Blue Springs. Vehicle manufacture and assembly – Corolla.
Toyota Motor Manufacturing Kentucky, Inc., (TMMK) is located in Georgetown. Engine manufacture – 2GR-FE and 2AR-FE. Vehicle manufacture and assembly – Camry, Hybrid Camry, Avalon, Avalon Hybrid, and Lexus ES.
Toyota Motor Manufacturing Texas, Inc (TMMTX) is located in San Antonio. Vehicle manufacture and assembly – Tundra & Tacoma.
Toyota Motor Manufacturing Indiana, Inc. (TMMI) is located in Princeton, Indiana. Vehicle manufacture and assembly – Sequoia, Sienna, Highlander & Highlander Hybrid.
Toyota Motor Manufacturing Alabama, Inc. (TMMAL), is located in Huntsville. Engine manufacture 1GR-FE, 1UR-FE and 3UR-FE. Engines mostly for TMMTX and some TMMI.
Toyota Motor Manufacturing West Virginia, Inc. (TMMWV), is located in Buffalo. Engine manufacture 2GR-FE, 2ZR-FE and 1AR-FE.

And BTW, I fought in Vietnam but I still wear clothing made there. :lol: :lol: :lol:
1964 M151A1
1984 M1008
1967 M416
04/1952 M100
12/1952 M100- Departed

Bill, Idaho
Master Sergeant
Master Sergeant

Unread post by Bill, Idaho » August 24th, 2018, 11:05 pm

I hear what you are saying. I always wondered why most foreign car companies build their cars in the US, and most US car companies have a lot of their cars made outside the US.
Anyway, back to the Mihandra issue-- when I first saw the teaser for it, I instantly wondered what market they were hoping for. It appears to be real close to the 4x4 "SUV" market , yet is way lacking in several areas, yet at the same time is real close to the UTV (Razor/Teryx/etc" market, and again, woefully lacking to fit into that niche.
I think I'll go fire up my M151A2 and take it for a relaxing spin.