Any M-151's in Iceland

a place to discuss anything of interest to owners of M151 jeeps

Moderators: rickf, raymond, Mr. Recovery

acudanut

Any M-151's in Iceland

Unread post by acudanut » September 29th, 2018, 10:17 am

I am going there and don't know anything about the place. I know Iceland is green and Greenland is Ice. Don't make scene. :?:

rickf
General
General

Re: Any M-151's in Iceland

Unread post by rickf » September 29th, 2018, 11:08 am

Iceland in the winter lives up to it's name. What is going on there?
1964 M151A1
1984 M1008
1967 M416
04/1952 M100
12/1952 M100- Departed
AN/TSQ-114A Trailblazer- Gone

Joe
Sergeant First Class
Sergeant First Class

Unread post by Joe » September 29th, 2018, 8:32 pm

I was stationed in Keflavik, Iceland with the US Navy in 1970 - 71 and to answer your question directly...... no, there were no military 151's on base or anywhere else in Iceland that I visited at that time. But I can't speak for the entire country of Iceland today. The base, known as Naval Air Station, Keflavik, was located in remote SW Iceland on the Reykjanes Peninsula (a very large ancient volcanic lava flow where there were no trees, only moss covered lava rock). The capitol of Iceland is Reykjavik about 30 miles from the base and connected by the only asphalt road in the country, except for the base and the adjacent fishing village of Keflavik. All other roads back in the 70's were gravel. NAS Kef was also a NATO base with multiple US armed forces represented, ie Navy, Air Force, USMC, etc. as well as other multi-national armed forces from within the NATO Alliance. Iceland is known as "The Land of Frost & Fire". The NATO Base closed in the early 2000's and was given back to the locals but the Pentagon is interested in renewing a presence there.......

The Marines provided security on base as well as all of our numerous communications facilities located off base in the lava fields. Iceland is also known as "The Land of the Midnight Sun" where the sun simply circles the sky during the summer but winter is another story. The sun will stay below the horizon and extended darkness (days to weeks) is the order of the day. During the change of seasons, the moss will turn from green to brown (remember, no trees on this part of Iceland and it's not unusual to experience a sunset and a sunrise within hours to mere minutes of each other, depending on the time of year. Total darkness 24-7 during the winter takes some adjustment, to say the least. Snow in winter falls horizontally, not vertically, like here in the States. The windshield of your vehicle will be clear but the drivers door will be frozen shut. Snow tires on all four wheels is a must. Tire chains are reserved for the worst weather, ie. during whiteouts, ice storms, etc.

All that said, Iceland is a gorgeous country where you can experience nature in its rawest, majestic form. The northern lights displays are unbelievable, you've got to see them in person.......

Ask anything you like, I'll do my best to respond. Good luck...... Joe

acudanut

Unread post by acudanut » September 29th, 2018, 10:34 pm

Thanks for the info. I am going to be there for about 24 hours (in the summer) then headed to Europe for 2 weeks (vacation). :mrgreen:
BTW, is it true the Women there have Beards. lol

Joe
Sergeant First Class
Sergeant First Class

Unread post by Joe » September 29th, 2018, 11:20 pm

That's totally untrue!!! Icelandic women were typically knockdown gorgeous and very friendly. Many, over the years, became married to US servicemen and ultimately moved to the US. If you're flying into the Reykjavik Airport, it's also known as the Keflavik International Airport and is located on the former NATO Base. Travel safe and have a fantastic trip.

kmam
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major

Unread post by kmam » September 30th, 2018, 3:06 am

Used to visit there on business in the late 70s, early 80s. Agree re women. Had some funny laws at the time - restrictions on beer, as I recall, but spirits were fine! Hotel showers smelt sulphuric as the hot water was obtained naturally. 24 hours may not be long enough ;)
Howard

Daimler Ferret Mk 1/2
AM General M151A2
Austin Champ

acudanut

Unread post by acudanut » September 30th, 2018, 10:48 am

Any brothels there lol

rickf
General
General

Unread post by rickf » September 30th, 2018, 7:12 pm

If there is a military base there are for sure. Would I go there? I DON'T think so!!!!!!!
1964 M151A1
1984 M1008
1967 M416
04/1952 M100
12/1952 M100- Departed
AN/TSQ-114A Trailblazer- Gone

Joe
Sergeant First Class
Sergeant First Class

Unread post by Joe » October 1st, 2018, 2:53 pm

Never heard about any but my wife was along with me and we were living just off base in our rented apartment (quonset hut).

kmam
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major

Unread post by kmam » October 2nd, 2018, 8:07 pm

It is 35 years since I was visiting Iceland and the social/cultural aspects can change in that time. However some may be the same. One interesting feature was the way they named their children: their fathers first name would become part of their surname. For example, if Sven Jonsson had a son named Per, his name would be Per Svensson. If Sven had a daughter named Katrina her name would be Katrina Svensson. Then Per Svenssons son, Gustaf, would be named Gustaf Persson and so on. I used to find it interesting to visit the graveyards in places like Reykjavik, not for any morbid reason but to get a sense of the history. You would see periods when the infant mortality rate was very high (usually due to poor medical facilities), women would die at an early age (usually due to childbirth and again the lack of medical facilities). Because of the way surnames were given you could trace families.

Also, back then many of the buildings were made from corrugated iron imported from Australia. Another import was Australian girl backpackers who had a great reputation for working hard in the fish processing industry and would come over from their travels in Europe to earn money and then continue on travelling.

With their small population they considered themselves as a large family (although in recent years politics seems to have impacted on that). On one visit I was travelling with the Icelandic Chief of Police to the outer regions where he poured some liquid detergent (if I recall correctly) into the hot waters to make a huge geyser spring up. This was not legal but he was the Chief of Police. As we were travelling back we came across some Icelanders on horseback herding sheep and they waved us down. Chief got out and had a conversation then came back with a seriously drunk guy that he put in the back of the car after which he went and got a half full bottle of spirits which the drunk lovingly cradled. "What was that all about" I asked. "Oh, he was too drunk to keep riding the horse so we will take him home". Sort of typical...

A couple of the police came back from a few weeks training in Copenhagen. It was so great to be back, they told me, that they wanted to kiss the ground when they got off the plane. Typical of their attachment to the country which you would have to be born in to have that sort of attachment!

If you do decide to go drinking be prepared for a heavy night! I would be surprised if that has changed...
Howard

Daimler Ferret Mk 1/2
AM General M151A2
Austin Champ

acudanut

Unread post by acudanut » October 3rd, 2018, 5:57 am

Sounds Fun. Cheers