a place to discuss anything of interest to owners of M151 jeeps

Moderators: rickf, raymond, Mr. Recovery

rickf
General
General

Re: New member

Unread post by rickf » January 3rd, 2019, 4:43 pm

Well, It is not a 1970 A2 from looking at the fenders and lack of as Budd tag, Non-emissions so late 72-74. Of coarse the gas can is backwards. Hard to tell but the picture looks like the cowl is wrinkled pretty good under the hood from the valve cover towards the passenger side and again over by the master cylinder. This could be an indication of a hard rollover is it is actually bent there. Look at the side panels in the foot well area from the inside with a good light to see if they are bent while smooth on the outside. That will tell you if it is actually straight or all bondo. Look under the front fenders back towards the main body for the same thing, the panels should be straight and not deformed or wrinkled.
1964 M151A1
1984 M1008
1967 M416
04/1952 M100
12/1952 M100- Departed
AN/TSQ-114A Trailblazer- Gone

Hambone
Brigadier General
Brigadier General

Unread post by Hambone » January 3rd, 2019, 5:44 pm

Good eye Rick, need more pics, did notice the air breather took a good lick from the topside.

m3a1
Lt. General
Lt. General

Unread post by m3a1 » January 3rd, 2019, 6:17 pm

But, to add a bit of balance to the discussion Dennis, while those wrinkles go firmly into the negative column, in my mind they are not necessarily a deal breaker UNLESS you are looking for a top notch M151. You should see my truck. Ooh boy! War weary and TONS of scars, dents, some rust perforation and the most awful paint job you'll ever see. But it's original and unmolested (unless you consider that I installed the MG mount.) Know what? I enjoy the hell out of mine and that enjoyment has been magnified by the fact that I paid very little for it to begin with. I've put a lot of work into it and that has paid off. Now, you may be a guy who just wants something ready to go and that's fair enough but for that kind of money you should be getting a very clean, straight truck that needs almost nothing.

Point is, this person is asking a premium price for a non-premium truck so follow your nose and you'll likely find more wrinkles but this isn't a vehicle where the doors have to close just so.... Point out the deficiencies and see if the price comes down.

muttguru
Colonel
Colonel

Unread post by muttguru » January 3rd, 2019, 8:29 pm

Here's the message I sent to Dennis immediately after I posted his pictures.
====================================================================================================
Hello Dennis..... many thanks for the pics. Comments:-
1. steering wheel has a large crack in the centre boss;
2. body side panel (driver's side) looks rough..... it looks like the body has "bottomed" at some time ...ie...driven over rocks or high kerbs.
3. There's a rubber bumper missing on the top of the brush-guard;
4. The radiator cap looks like it isn't holding pressure, there's coolant traces around the filler neck/cap;
5. The keeper chain is missing/broken (holds the engine oil-filler cap to the valve cover front stud;
6. The cover is missing from the top of the alternator;
7. Not sure about this one because of the poor quality of the pictures..... there seems to be some rough surface on the front of the firewall....maybe it's just dust....can't make it out properly.

Items 3, 4, 5, & 6 are minor issues.
Item 1 needs to be replaced/repaired. A new one isn't cheap. It could be an MoT failure issue.
Item 2 needs to be checked inside and underneath for body-frame damage or impact.
Item 7 - as per item 2 above.

That's all I could make out from those pictures. You also need to start it, drive it and stop it too !

If I were thinking of buying it, I'd want to see A LOT MORE of the vehicle....inside and out and underneath, too....before I agreed to buy....especially at 14K. Get the owner to drag it outside on a clear sunny day and get your overalls on !
The pictures are posted for all to see now.

ps... when/if you discuss things with the seller, please do it discreetly.... I'd hate to find an irate seller waiting for me with a wheel wrench one day...... (-:

Ken
=================================================================================================
Kind regards....
Ken

Always wanted - Details and pictures of M416 Trailer data plates & M151 data plates & body-tags for my research. Thanks!

Contact address - - muttguru@aol.com

Note for 2023..... Ken..."Less Stress - More Exercise!"

Dennis
civilian

Unread post by Dennis » January 4th, 2019, 12:30 pm

I’d like to thank every one for the comments, I’m thinking not to buy it, as I told ken, the man that’s selling it is the farmer whose land I shoot on so I have to tread carefully , just out of interest what would be the price for a unmolested one in nice nick all up and together, I was thinking that that price (£14000) it should be in great nick, am I wrong?. Dennis

m3a1
Lt. General
Lt. General

Unread post by m3a1 » January 4th, 2019, 12:41 pm

Dennis, I would urge you to qualify your question by telling everyone where you are going to be looking to buy. I dare say prices are going to differ greatly between continents.

Cheers,
TJ

rickf
General
General

Unread post by rickf » January 4th, 2019, 2:54 pm

He is in England so I think we can assume that general area. The prices are pretty much the same across the continents for the most part. That price you gave should buy you a decent, running and stopping M-151 without a lot of rust and complete with all of the items that belong on it. It may need paint and some minor bodywork but should not be not be rusted through at that price level. If you want top of the line pristine restoration work type of vehicle you are looking close to 20,000 dollars to 24,000 dollars or equivalent English pounds. Now this is all conjecture since I have no idea at all what your monetary situation is with the brexit thing going on over there.
1964 M151A1
1984 M1008
1967 M416
04/1952 M100
12/1952 M100- Departed
AN/TSQ-114A Trailblazer- Gone

m3a1
Lt. General
Lt. General

Unread post by m3a1 » January 4th, 2019, 3:54 pm

Rick, check your inbox. I have important info for you.