Sit on THIS

a place to discuss anything of interest to owners of M151 jeeps

Moderators: rickf, raymond, Mr. Recovery

m3a1
Lt. General
Lt. General

Sit on THIS

Unread post by m3a1 » January 2nd, 2019, 8:42 pm

How many different versions of seat frames exist for all the M151 series of trucks (meaning throughout the entire production period). Is there one where the front guide pins rest in a small track, rather than in a slot?

Cheers,
TJ

Surveyor
Terminal

Re: Sit on THIS

Unread post by Surveyor » January 2nd, 2019, 9:38 pm

I can think of three right off the top of my head that I have seen but their may be more...

1) Early screw adjust style
2) Later adjust style
3) Passenger side retrofitted to sit backwards
1960 M151 Run #1
"There is one nut on a M151 that is very difficult to remove....." - K8icu
"She ain't a Cadillac and she ain't a Rolls, But there ain't nothin' wrong with the radio" - Aaron Tippin

rickf
General
General

Unread post by rickf » January 2nd, 2019, 9:56 pm

Passenger side with fold down seat back for ambulance. Which is basically the same bottom mount but modified with a hinge in the lower seat back
1964 M151A1
1984 M1008
1967 M416
04/1952 M100
12/1952 M100- Departed
AN/TSQ-114A Trailblazer- Gone

m3a1
Lt. General
Lt. General

Unread post by m3a1 » January 2nd, 2019, 10:02 pm

Can you comment on the front guide pins in the track (basically in a small C channel)?

rickf
General
General

Unread post by rickf » January 2nd, 2019, 10:24 pm

If you mean instead of mounting the pins to the front of the battery box? Nope, never saw anything like that.
1964 M151A1
1984 M1008
1967 M416
04/1952 M100
12/1952 M100- Departed

m3a1
Lt. General
Lt. General

Unread post by m3a1 » January 2nd, 2019, 10:56 pm

No what I'm referring to is the seat's fore and aft adjustment. What I'm using now has the standard pin in the slot adjustment for the aft, but the fore is a pin of the same diameter guided in a bit of C-channel.

Surveyor
Terminal

Unread post by Surveyor » January 2nd, 2019, 11:39 pm

Ahhh, sounds like you have the "c" channel portion that was on the screw adjust type in the front but the later pin style on the rear. Maybe this was an intermediate style between the two till they decided that two pins was the cheaper? or safer? way to go.
1960 M151 Run #1
"There is one nut on a M151 that is very difficult to remove....." - K8icu
"She ain't a Cadillac and she ain't a Rolls, But there ain't nothin' wrong with the radio" - Aaron Tippin

rickf
General
General

Unread post by rickf » January 3rd, 2019, 10:36 am

m3a1 wrote:No what I'm referring to is the seat's fore and aft adjustment. What I'm using now has the standard pin in the slot adjustment for the aft, but the fore is a pin of the same diameter guided in a bit of C-channel.
Ok, so Later style seat with the two position rear adjuster. I never even noticed how the front slid on them. I have one of each in mine right now waiting to refinish my other screw seat. If I get the chance I will look at it today and see how the front of the seat rides.
1964 M151A1
1984 M1008
1967 M416
04/1952 M100
12/1952 M100- Departed

m3a1
Lt. General
Lt. General

Unread post by m3a1 » January 3rd, 2019, 12:29 pm

edit
Last edited by m3a1 on January 3rd, 2019, 12:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.

m3a1
Lt. General
Lt. General

Unread post by m3a1 » January 3rd, 2019, 12:36 pm

These seats were in my Alley Cat (now sold). So, because I am lazy and because they were already out, I massaged them back into something presentable so as to accept the new seat pads, while keeping my original mess in the truck so I could continue to drive it. Since then, I have put them in my A2 and not without a lot of tweaking. Having seen hard use in the Alley Cat, I found these seats had some stress cracks where the forward control arms of the seat met the seat frame proper. (What I call the control arms are those bits upon which the seat pivots)

Anyway, I dutifully welded those cracks. What I failed to account for was the fact that if cracks appear there, the distance between the centered slot in the back of the seat and the two forward points of the control arms has quite likely become longer. Since everything was welded up, several judicious whacks with a large mallet closed those control arms back to the correct length.

Now, taking freshly refurbished seats that don't quite fit in and out repeatedly and having to watch a rather nice coat of paint get all scratched up in the doing.... followed by whacks with a hammer is a real bummer. So don't do as I do. Do as I say. Check for fit, repair your parts, check for fit again and then refinish. In my defense, I was left unsupervised and without suitable...um....'lubrication'.

But, back to the issue at hand which is the design and provenance of the seats. Some work had been done to them in the past, such as the safety strap loops having been removed but there was absolutely NO evidence of any sort of additional adjusting mechanism ever having been present, nor would I expect to find any because as I said, the rear guides are the standard later type, with notched slots that lock the seat in either the fully fore, or fully aft position. A jackscrew style adjuster wouldn't work with that.

Also, there was also a very noticeable departure from the usual, simple zigzag spring support in the seat frame. There was an additional longitudinal wire that, attached on the seat back (were it laid out flat if would have a rectangle shape) then bent in the middle so as to go forward and be attached to the seat bottom. The result of this is a very suitable means of distributing weight between the seat bottom and seat back springs right where it is needed the most. As soon as I climbed in I could tell there was a noticeable difference between this and the other seats I had been using with a very nice, firm feeling and just the right amount of give. It sure spreads the weight around.

So there you have it. I suppose what is being suggested is these are a transitional design from jack screw adjuster to the slotted two-position adjuster. Arguably, the C-channel would have a propensity to capture and hold dirt (and you don't dare grease them or they will hold dirt all the more so, I can see why they did away with them. What I will eventually do (when the mood strikes me) is go back and refurbish the seat frames that are original to the truck and put them back in. Until then, I'm riding in style.

Cheers,
TJ