2 Disappointments to Start Year

a place to discuss anything of interest to owners of M151 jeeps

Moderators: rickf, raymond, Mr. Recovery

Surveyor
Terminal

2 Disappointments to Start Year

Unread post by Surveyor » January 3rd, 2019, 7:12 pm

Was looking forward to seeing the FedEx truck today. Missed it but they left the package out front. The package was left in the rain instead of two feet further against the door on the porch where it would have been high and dry. Fortunately the box was wrapped somewhat in plastic wrap so the cardboard was not fully soaked. Unfortunately it was shipped in the original issue box despite paying over $40 bucks for shipping so of course the corners were ripped open with holes on the ends. I paid $100 bucks awhile back to have a 60+ lb radio shipped to my door via a UPS Store which even expertly double packed it without a single hiccup. This thing probably barely weighs 10-15 lbs.

Unboxed the "NOS" bracket and hardware is covered in surface rust. Used was $19, the NOS I bought was closer to $40. The picture for the NOS ones on their website was pristine. The one that arrived looks probably as good as a used one. On top of that, based on the installation instructions it looks like one small support bracket is missing (instructions show 2 needed) and I'm sure a bolt and nut is as well (by count of the small bracket holes). 15 lock washers and one flat. If there was supposed to be 16 then someone replaced a missing washer and should have seen the condition everything was in. I've ordered from Eastern before and that purchase went smoothly and I know this is a small trivial purchase in the grand scheme but still a bummer of a day now. :( :( :(

FedEx -1
Eastern Surplus & Equipment -1

1960 M151 Run #1
"There is one nut on a M151 that is very difficult to remove....." - K8icu
"She ain't a Cadillac and she ain't a Rolls, But there ain't nothin' wrong with the radio" - Aaron Tippin

gcbennet
Private First Class
Private First Class

Re: 2 Disappointments to Start Year

Unread post by gcbennet » January 26th, 2019, 10:08 am

Most surplus vendors will include the caveat ‘may have surface blemishes or corrosion due to long term storage’ or similar when selling NOS parts to cover their butts. I’ve personally never had any issues with eastern, and as a well known and reputable MV part supplier I’m sure they’ll make right your issues.
Gordon Bennett

1985 M998 HMMWV
1986 Bombardier Iltis
1977 M151A2

m3a1
Lt. General
Lt. General

Unread post by m3a1 » January 26th, 2019, 2:05 pm

Ok, I'm going to post a few photos to lend a little perspective. I'm not condemning your position on the matter but I felt it might be helpful for you to see what other people in the FMV hobby are living with.

Images are of an original, NOS exhaust-frame bracket for a half track. There is no evidence this piece was ever mounted. The rust you see appears to have come from it having been stored, in a stack with other brackets.

Price? Well, it's just stupid how much these cost.

Availability? With half tracks, you had better grab whatever you can lay your hands on just as quick as it becomes available.

Satisfaction rating? Believe it or not, 100%. I'm just happy to have found one of these. (-and if you are reading this and are in need of one, want to make your own and want me to template this for you you had better PM me real soon)

So, this is our hobby. Some days are diamonds and some days are stones.

I know yours is an older post but since there is so much of the original finish there, why not lay on some naval jelly and let it sit for a while. I think you'd have some very good results.

Cheers,
TJ

Surveyor
Terminal

Unread post by Surveyor » January 26th, 2019, 4:12 pm

TJ, I did just that but used Metal Rescue. They did include a photocopy of legalize that it's as is. I would have saved a few bucks and bought used if I knew beforehand what they were actually selling. I just wanted to warn others since what they show advertised is this for comparison for the price I paid. Plus vent about Fed-Ex.

1960 M151 Run #1
"There is one nut on a M151 that is very difficult to remove....." - K8icu
"She ain't a Cadillac and she ain't a Rolls, But there ain't nothin' wrong with the radio" - Aaron Tippin

m3a1
Lt. General
Lt. General

Unread post by m3a1 » January 26th, 2019, 6:39 pm

I understand. As they say - "There's many a slip twixt a cup and a lip." Sometimes everything comes down to the little peon in the poorly lit stock room who's picking things off the shelf and filling your order. I'm not making excuses but there's a million little ways these perfect storms come to pass.

Your piece looks terrific and now there's a little bit of you in it.

Now for some really GOOD news! I found a resin replica of the M2HB rear sight on eBay some time ago....and from IRELAND of all places! My M2HB is now just a huge chunk of metal and will never shoot again and, with the M2HB (and now the M3) still out there banging away real, fully functional rear sights are still going for top market value. So, I took a chance on the replica which retailed for FAR less than the real thing. Oh BOY! Was I SURPRISED! I was absolutely stunned how good this piece is. What came in the mail today was absolutely indistinguishable from the real rear sight assembly (aside from the fact that nothing moves or is adjustable).

So, there is balance in the universe, after all.

Cheers,
TJ

rickf
General
General

Unread post by rickf » January 26th, 2019, 10:09 pm

Just don't drop that resin sight on a hard surface!
1964 M151A1
1984 M1008
1967 M416
04/1952 M100
12/1952 M100- Departed
AN/TSQ-114A Trailblazer- Gone

Barlow L
Sergeant
Sergeant

Unread post by Barlow L » January 27th, 2019, 10:05 am

rickf wrote:Just don't drop that resin sight on a hard surface!
Negativity like that affects my stock shares in Super Glue :lol:

rickf
General
General

Unread post by rickf » January 27th, 2019, 10:17 am

1964 M151A1
1984 M1008
1967 M416
04/1952 M100
12/1952 M100- Departed
AN/TSQ-114A Trailblazer- Gone