Eastern Block Surplus Military vehicles Check this out!

a place to discuss anything of interest to owners of M151 jeeps

Moderators: rickf, raymond, Mr. Recovery

M151-LC
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

Eastern Block Surplus Military vehicles Check this out!

Unread post by M151-LC » January 22nd, 2008, 1:13 am

While Uncle Sam was giving us the shaft demil program with our beloved M151 series Jeeps or giving them away to other countries at our tax dollar expense, The Russians, Former East Germans, the Poles and everyone else in the Former Soviet Block countries are having a blast with their retired surplus Vehilcles.

Go to "YOU TUBE" and look up the Gaz 69! Their is a ton of great film footage off roading and 4x4 events to watch Real Fun too.

Their is also a small number of films on the M151 as well as Military Jeeps and millions of Jeep and other 4x4 events.

Two things I watched that I thought was cool was a CJ with giant tires driving in a deep lake and also a GAZ 66 truck crossing a very muddy deep river and using the winch the truck nearly goes under water, and when the truck pulls through all the other people are laughing and yelling and it gets very exciting.

To see the Gaz 69 modified and off roading makes me know I am not a Jerk for playing in my M151's.

Also check out the awesome short film on the Carolina Growler, everyone who owns a M151 series Jeep should also own one of these to play in and hit the trails with, just wish more people were into playing with these vehicles.

I am not posting much anymore these days as I am so busy in the shop so if you need to get hold of me drop me a e-mail or leave a PM here.

moose53
Site Admin
Site Admin

Unread post by moose53 » January 22nd, 2008, 2:13 pm

Carolina Growler would do a lot better if the bodies were exact copies of the m151. The thicker metal is nice, but they just dont look right....

Jim
Zigzag50, Northeast51, KC2QDZ
MVPA # 30032 G838.org

--------------------------------------
1971 G838-M151A2 1966 G857-M416
1968 G748-M101A1 1976 G748-M116A1
1990 MEP-701A

--------------------------------------
Real jeeps have horizontal grille slots

M151-LC
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

Who cares what they look like they are not for show!

Unread post by M151-LC » January 22nd, 2008, 6:51 pm

Everyone is so hung up on exact this and that, to have a new M151 type vehicle just to go hit the mud and trails in is what I am talking about. The things we would all love to do with our Stcok rigs, but can't because they must be preserved.

My point was that the Russians did not have a demil order on their vehicles, so they have plenty of vehicles and spare parts to go out and tear up in their Gaz 69's! We as M151 owners don't have that luxury unless we find a real beat up demil junker Jeep that needs so much work and effort that it would cost more to restore then just buying a brand new Growler 151.

Not for show but just for trailing around in the mud and having fun with, the power pack is the same and nearly all of the other parts as well as all these parts except the new uni-body are original Military issue.

So why not own one they Growler is about 985 original stock anyway.

You buy a kit all the new parts can be swapped out on your original model even, then use all the older stuff in your build up of your off road 4x4 Growler Mutt...LOL

I am simply talikng about having a near identical rig to go out and tear finless brown trout up with.

Litz
Sergeant
Sergeant

Growler

Unread post by Litz » January 22nd, 2008, 10:05 pm

Hey HK,

Nice to see you on the G again. Does American Growler still sell their M151 version and if they do do you know the web address?

Litz

raymond
Major General
Major General

Unread post by raymond » January 22nd, 2008, 10:22 pm

Here's the link I have for growler, it doesn't really tell you anything on the website though.

http://www.capitaldefense.com/AmericanGrowler.shtml

Raymond
Raymond

"On the day when crime puts on the apparel of innocence, through a curious reversal peculiar to our age, it is innocence that is called on to justify itself." Albert Camus

Litz
Sergeant
Sergeant

American Growlers on Epay

Unread post by Litz » January 27th, 2008, 5:09 pm

Did anyone else see on Epay what was listed as the M151 ATV400 by American Growler?

I went back today and couldn't find the listing.

Anyway, it had a Buy it Now price of $14,500. It uses the M151 powertrain and suspension, but complete new body. It was the two seat version, not the M151 look-a-like.

Also, their webpage is up and running again. I guess since their big military contract faded away, they are going back to the civilian market.

http://www.growlermotorsports.com/

I think it will be interesting to see what they come up with over time.