CMD Body Panels

a place to discuss anything of interest to owners of M151 jeeps

Moderators: rickf, raymond, Mr. Recovery

lpcoating
Brigadier General
Brigadier General

CMD Body Panels

Unread post by lpcoating » August 26th, 2013, 10:08 pm

I'm starting this thread for body panels made by Cameron Manufacturing and Design located in Horseheads, NY. CMD is an ESOP company with around 190 employees. We have been in business for 30 years and as a contract manufacturer, offer a full range of sheet metal, machine shop, welding and engineering services. At this point in time we do not have a product line of our own. Why did we start making 151 parts? After I bought my A1 and started doing repair work I realized that if I wanted body parts, I would have to make them. Then, after becoming a member of this site thought we would test the water and see if there was any interest in panels. We are in the early stages of making parts. For those of you that have seen my A1 rebuild you know that I started that project by making some parts close too, but not stock. The parts listed on this thread will be as close to stock as we can get them. You will notice from some of the pictures that it looks like I'm working out of my garage. That is correct as I do the reverse engineering on my time, usually draw the parts in AutoCAD during lunch or after hours. Then it goes to the shop. This way I can keep the up front costs to a minimum and I like to do it! I will let people know of updates and progress with parts. This is what we've been working on:

ImageImageImageImageImage
Last edited by lpcoating on October 31st, 2013, 7:24 pm, edited 5 times in total.
M151 Body Panels - http://www.m151bodypanels.com/

'68 A1 - Under full resto

lpcoating
Brigadier General
Brigadier General

Re: CMD Body Panels

Unread post by lpcoating » August 26th, 2013, 10:17 pm

Here is the fender top. We have weld fixtures being made in our machine shop. I brought this one home and welded it with my jeep as the fixture. The green color was the only rattle can of paint that I had at the house. This was sent to Rick today for final "QC".

In the picture below you can see that the ribs are located properly in the fender support:

In this picture you can see that there is room left over for the rear side panel:

And the rest of the pictures of the fender:

ImageImageImageImage

lpcoating
Brigadier General
Brigadier General

Unread post by lpcoating » August 26th, 2013, 10:30 pm

This is the laser (one of three) that we use to make the panels:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=01tjpuzwWQM

Motorcityman
1st Sergeant
1st Sergeant

Unread post by Motorcityman » August 27th, 2013, 1:55 am

I'm looking forward to more updates, keep up the good work!

RCA827
1st Sergeant
1st Sergeant

Unread post by RCA827 » August 27th, 2013, 11:17 pm

WOW Guy the fender tops and tool box lid are just fantastic :shock: :shock: with parts like this avail to us the restorations just got much easier. :lol: :lol: I can also now see for myself and follow your progress better in this thread. I CANT WAIT to start putting your panels on my A2's : Thank you Guy for all your hard work and time spent on getting the parts made. :wink: :wink:
Sam
Last edited by RCA827 on August 28th, 2013, 10:03 am, edited 2 times in total.

Litz
Sergeant
Sergeant

Unread post by Litz » August 28th, 2013, 1:09 am

Guy,

Thanks for developing panels and creating this new thread to keep us informed. I look forward to being able to use some of your panels on my A2.

I hope everyone will keep this thread about CMD panels and not take it down unrelated paths.

Litz

Francis Marion
2nd Lieutenant
2nd Lieutenant

Unread post by Francis Marion » August 31st, 2013, 1:59 pm

I call dibs on the first tool box cover produced. :mrgreen:
1968 M151A1
1967 M416

maple_leaf_eh
Corporal
Corporal

Unread post by maple_leaf_eh » September 1st, 2013, 9:05 am

Looking good! We need more North American parts suppliers. There is a market for vintage parts, you just have to get the right combination of luck, timing and promotion.

There is another body panel thread that has guys posting their favourite choices and priorities.

lpcoating
Brigadier General
Brigadier General

Unread post by lpcoating » September 1st, 2013, 10:32 am

maple_leaf_eh wrote:Looking good! We need more North American parts suppliers. There is a market for vintage parts, you just have to get the right combination of luck, timing and promotion.

There is another body panel thread that has guys posting their favourite choices and priorities.

I'm open to input from others. The next set of parts that I need for my A1 is the rear panel and rear floor so that is on the list.

maple_leaf_eh
Corporal
Corporal

Unread post by maple_leaf_eh » September 1st, 2013, 11:06 pm

In no particular order:

battery box floor
passenger and driver's floors
tool box floor and lid
rear body panel
left and right rear wheel arches and the 45-degree support arm
left and right front fenders
front and rear cross member repair kits (a lot of M151s are badly damaged from cross country driving) and
left and right body sides

footman loops are another little fitting that everyone leaves to the last minute. If you can stamp sheet metal, you can stamp wire rod.

Francis Marion
2nd Lieutenant
2nd Lieutenant

Unread post by Francis Marion » September 2nd, 2013, 1:33 pm

lpcoating wrote: and rear floor so that is on the list.

+1 on the passenger floor, tool box floor, and front cross member.
1968 M151A1
1967 M416

RCA827
1st Sergeant
1st Sergeant

Unread post by RCA827 » September 3rd, 2013, 9:51 pm

lpcoating wrote:
maple_leaf_eh wrote:Looking good! We need more North American parts suppliers. There is a market for vintage parts, you just have to get the right combination of luck, timing and promotion.

I'm open to input from others. The next set of parts that I need for my A1 is the rear panel and rear floor so that is on the list.
Rear panel and floor ALRIGHT YEE HAW :lol: :lol:

rickf
General
General

Unread post by rickf » September 4th, 2013, 2:21 pm

I checked the fender that Guy sent me against three different vehicles, well, two and a quarter, and they are dead on. The reinforcing ribs are perfect, the bends all look good. I think he has a winner here. If you are going to Gilbert be sure to check them out.

Rick

P.S. I am sure he will not paint the ones he is taking to Gilbert "lawn chair green" :lol: :lol: :lol: :twisted: :twisted: :twisted:
1964 M151A1
1984 M1008
1967 M416
04/1952 M100
12/1952 M100- Departed
AN/TSQ-114A Trailblazer- Gone

lpcoating
Brigadier General
Brigadier General

Unread post by lpcoating » September 4th, 2013, 7:21 pm

Thanks for the "QC" check Rick. I'm in the process of making parts to take to the Gilbert show. My plan is around 5 sets of rear fender tops and around 10 tool box lids. Hopefully all goes well as the date is coming fast. The depression tool for the tool box lid should be finished tonight in our Machine shop, the new rib tool arrived today and we started to make the fixture for welding the fender tops. I started to source a stainless steel hinge but so far can not find one that has the correct web width and pin diameter. It's one or the other. If I have to I'll get the one with the correct web width and the pin will be a little bigger. Here are some pictures of us cutting the fender top fixture - yes, the date and time on the camera is not correct!

It's hard to see in this picture but the mill is cutting the radius profile.

If you look at the RIGHT side of the picture you can see the Machinist giving a fist pump as I took the picture. Gotta love the positive attitude!

Last edited by lpcoating on September 4th, 2013, 8:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.

rickf
General
General

Unread post by rickf » September 4th, 2013, 8:05 pm

Ahem............................ Right side of the picture. :roll:
1964 M151A1
1984 M1008
1967 M416
04/1952 M100